Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-06-2010, 16:34   #1
EnterpriseUser

Default Dublin-Limerick Junction-Rosslare-Dublin

How do you purchase a ticket from Heustom to Connolly via Limerick Junction and Rosslare; recognising that the train into Rosslare from Waterford arrives at 1835 and the connection to Connolly is from Wexford at 1930. I want to do that journey before Waterford Rosslare closes. Thanks.
EnterpriseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 16:41   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

It appears to no longer be a valid journey combination due to the new Heuston-Waterford services.

It was a valid option by booking a day return to Waterford, departing in the afternoon.

EDIT: Actually, it seems to have been broken by the removal of the connecting train from Rosslare to Enniscorthy in the evening. You can do the trip by starting in a station between Parkwest-Limerick Junction (single needed from Heuston to that station) and staying in south Wexford overnight. This should be achievable with a day return, but you need to be absolutely sure you research and know the conditions of travel which allow you travel into the next day, provided you have started your return journey on the first day.

Alternatively, get a taxi from Rosslare to Enniscorthy 37km = €4.10 + €2 + 37 x €1.03 = €44.21 approximately. You would need to book it as you need to do a 35 minute trip in less than an hour, allowing for problems and congestion.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 09-06-2010 at 17:22.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 19:16   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

In theory the ticketing rule book allows travel by the quickest route for a given starting time. So when trains were infrequent that resulted in some interesting possibilities.

To travel Dublin Rosslare via Limerick Junction requires a single to LJ and single from there to Rosslare

If you want to go from Dublin to Rosslare there is a perfectly reasonable if limited direct service. Book online some trains are 10 euro single
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:41   #4
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

As a couple of people have pointed out this journey can't be done in a day any more. Ticketwise you'd need a single to somewhere on the Limerick Junction to Waterford line and another single from there to Rosslare.

If you don't mind getting up (really) early an alternative is to do it the other way around, getting an early Bus Ιireann service from Dublin to Rosslare (it'd be around 0300 if memory serves) and hitting the 0700 Rosslare-Waterford train.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 13:50   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
Ticketwise you'd need a single to somewhere on the Limerick Junction to Waterford line and another single from there to Rosslare.
If you start anywhere but Heuston, the booking system give you a routing via Limerick Junction, but it doesn't give a price. Via Waterford only, it give a price of €44 single.
Unread 10-06-2010, 14:12   #6
EnterpriseUser

The journey can be done in an afternoon and early evening. The 1300 to Cork followed by the 1510 to Rosslare from Limerick Junction. One has to take a taxi from Rosslare to Wexford to get the 1930 to Connolly. There are ten of us on board leaving the Junction. Busy train to Cork; decent lunch and good staff on board as well as the ubiquitous revenue protection officers! Waiting to cross the Dublin Cork line to see the Rosslare section before it closes.
Unread 10-06-2010, 14:31   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterpriseUser View Post
One has to take a taxi from Rosslare to Wexford to get the 1930 to Connolly.
Ah, I misread the timetable, I though that train started in Enniscorthy. 10 people = 3 taxis.

15.6km = €4.10 + 3 x €2 + 15.6 x €1.03 = €26.17
15.6km = €4.10 + 3 x €2 + 15.6 x €1.03 = €26.17
15.6km = €4.10 + 2 x €2 + 15.6 x €1.03 = €24.17

About €7.60 per head.
Unread 10-06-2010, 14:56   #8
EnterpriseUser

The train goes from Wexford but the line is closed at Gorey so it is a bus from there. I suspect I am the only person doing this particular journey!
Unread 10-06-2010, 15:24   #9
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Not sure about those taxi workings

15.6km = €4.10 + €1.03 Χ 14 + €1.35 Χ 0.6 = €19.33

That three times plus 7 by €1 for extra passengers is €65 all told.

(The basic charge includes the first 1km, and the extra passenger fee is €1.)
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 18:11   #10
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterpriseUser View Post
The journey can be done in an afternoon and early evening. The 1300 to Cork followed by the 1510 to Rosslare from Limerick Junction. One has to take a taxi from Rosslare to Wexford to get the 1930 to Connolly. There are ten of us on board leaving the Junction. Busy train to Cork; decent lunch and good staff on board as well as the ubiquitous revenue protection officers! Waiting to cross the Dublin Cork line to see the Rosslare section before it closes.
There is a Bus Ιireann coach from Rosslare Harbour at 19:00 that'll have you at O'Hanrahan Stn at or before 19:25. In my experience the service is punctual and cheaper than a taxi. A single is 5 euro bought onboard; knock 10% off this if buying online.

The 0300 ex Dublin Airport (0330 ex Busαras) reaches Rosslare Harbour at 0650.
Hope this helps.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 22:29   #11
EnterpriseUser

Well I did it; I finally travelled on the Waterford Rosslare route. The train was empty after Campile and the journey to there the most scenic part of the route. From Wexford to Gorey (where we terminated) there were three of us! IE staff uniformly friendly and helpful throughout. Incidentally, we left Enniscorthy at 1955 and arrived into Gorey at 2010, well ahead of schedule. The whole Rosslare Dublin timetable seems absurdly padded!

I enjoyed the whole experience as I last travelled Waterford Rosslare in 1981 and the trains then were really shabby!

The Dublin Cork line is very modern if not particularly fast; these secondary services feel like a throwback to a much earlier era of travel.
Unread 13-06-2010, 11:37   #12
Traincustomer

I'm glad you got to make the trip.

In 1981 the train was probably hauled by a small GM (141 or 181 class) plus Cravens carriages.

Yes the staff are particularly good - on a recent trip the train waited at Campile a full three minutes until its 543pm departure time. And I particularly like the announcement that is made on the approach to Rosslare Strand advising passengers for Rosslare Europort to remain onboard.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-06-2010, 15:41   #13
EnterpriseUser

Yes it was a 141 class engine and a couple of Cravens. I hope to travel the route again before closure especially if there is to be a special. Interesting to think that forty years ago the line saw services from Cork and Limerick as well as the sugar beet traffic. All in all it was a nice little adventure! Next, I want to try Waterford-Limerick-Galway-Dublin, again in one day!