Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-06-2014, 10:50   #61
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

I would expect that RPU will be out in force until close of service tonight especially on the DART services are at busy locations like Howth etc and everyday until weather returns to normal.

Its days like this where fare dogging will be high unless checks are in place.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-06-2014, 14:59   #62
AD11
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
Maybe IR should consider changing the timing of their checks to out of hours when apparently fare evasion is rife.
I'd love it if trains were rife 'out of hours' never mind ticket evaders!
Unread 18-06-2014, 15:20   #63
James Howard

Well, maybe if Irish Rail could reliably collect the revenue, they might be able to stretch to a 2005 or 2105 to Mullingar or Longford. Chance would be a fine thing.

They were out in force at Connolly at about 5 PM yesterday. Probably more of a visibility operation than a serious attempt to catch people.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-06-2014, 19:47   #64
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
The opposite applies to other cultures. I don't know if the same system still applies but when I was in Tokyo about 15 years ago, they had this system called "Fare Adjustment" where if you didn't know what your fare was, you paid the minimum and then put your ticket into a machine at your destination and paid the difference. Of course, ever single Irish person I knew used to buy the minimum fare ticket and use their point-to-point work pass to get out at their home station. Our Japanese colleagues would be utterly horrified at this behaviour and there was never a ticket inspector to be seen anywhere because honour and honesty are basically core values in Japanese culture.
Yes the fare adjustment system is still in place.

Tickets are regularly and consistently inspected on long-distance services in Japan, and stamped.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-06-2014, 07:55   #65
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post

Tickets are regularly and consistently inspected on long-distance services in Japan, and stamped.
That sounds a more civilized way of doing things. However Irish Rail have a more confrontational attitude to their passengers.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-06-2014, 16:09   #66
dowlingm

Quote:

In Japan though the operators are private companies. Maybe being at least notionally removed from government gives them more licence to chase revenue leakage without cries of "oppression!" from people who think public transport should be free if you don't feel like paying?

The other thing is that maybe Japan is not as fixated on ever decreasing headcount as a measure of how well a company does its business. This is a company that manually turns seats and replaces headrest-cloths at each turnback.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p020xlm1
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-06-2014, 20:44   #67
Jamie2k9

Quote:
That sounds a more civilized way of doing things. However Irish Rail have a more confrontational attitude to their passengers.
This system is done in intercity journeys here. They only travel in two's on IC services where they know people can be caught and other than this its just a single checker.

They only target commuter stations in large numbers.

As for fare adjustment, passengers here know the exact fares from the TMV's or ticket offices and it would be abused by people taking chances of paying a shorter fare and hoping for the best not to be caught.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 20-06-2014 at 20:46.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-06-2014, 16:01   #68
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
It's as much, if not more, that Irish passengers have less inclination to pay their fare than Japanese.

But on the other hand, every Japanese station of any size has a manned gateline all day.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2014, 10:58   #69
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
It's as much, if not more, that Irish passengers have less inclination to pay their fare than Japanese.

But on the other hand, every Japanese station of any size has a manned gateline all day.
Now that's a very unfair (sweeping) statement. Please fill me in as where the Irish fare evading passengers are, in all my years commuting I have only seen the fare doggers once or twice( who got on at Clondalkin) - and they just legged it over the railing at Hazelhatch. Of course if there was a ticket checker on board, they would have had to pay their fare. The average Irish train passenger is no worse nor better than any passenger in any other country.

Last edited by grainne whale : 23-06-2014 at 11:17.
Unread 23-06-2014, 11:21   #70
James Howard

This article states that the evasion rate on the inspections so far has been around 6%. But the reality is that it probably isn't so high as they will be targeting anywhere they have reason to believe is a hot-spot.

6% of revenue is more than 9 million euro. Which I believe is of the order of 3 times the amount of money saved by last autumn's capacity cutbacks.

From personal observation, it is demonstrably true that the Irish are more likely to fare-dodge than the Japanese. While racial stereotypes are a bit crude, honesty and honour would be regarded as core traits for Japanese people. I would think that is fair to say that this would not be the case for us Irish.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29455487.html
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2014, 11:28   #71
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
This article states that the evasion rate on the inspections so far has been around 6%. But the reality is that it probably isn't so high as they will be targeting anywhere they have reason to believe is a hot-spot.

6% of revenue is more than 9 million euro. Which I believe is of the order of 3 times the amount of money saved by last autumn's capacity cutbacks.

From personal observation, it is demonstrably true that the Irish are more likely to fare-dodge than the Japanese. While racial stereotypes are a bit crude, honesty and honour would be regarded as core traits for Japanese people. I would think that is fair to say that this would not be the case for us Irish.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29455487.html
Ah James, I don't think that you are quite correct about Japan in the light a recent scandals( honour/honesty). The Irish are no different to any other nationality. Actually I've seen more fare evasion in Germany - 3 people travelling on ticket and a total stranger ties to claim that he is the 4th passenger on the same ticket.
I agree €9m is a lot of money but I'm sure there is a more efficient way of collecting it, rather than the bullyboy tactics of RPU. If it (this article) is correct that 1 in 16 passengers is a fare evader and I, a regular commuter hasn't noticed (regular fare evasion) then there must be hordes of passenger travelling the country without paying a fare. - some how I don't think so.

Last edited by grainne whale : 23-06-2014 at 14:40.