Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-04-2006, 10:26   #1
cait
New to the board

Default Question about Broombridge sation

Hi

I use the Broombridge station every day but I remember hearing a few years ago there was an intention to get rid of that station and build another one beside the new apartments in the Pelletstown area. Has anyone heard of anything else about this ? How would I find out about this type of thing. I believe some of the apartments were sold with this as a feature ?

Also on a sepearate note regarding the metro . If I was living in Maynooth and wanted to go to the airport would I have to go all the way to Connolly and then change there or do they intend to have an interchange or feeder bus or something around Ashtown or Broombridge if its still there?

Thanks
cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:32   #2
Donal Quinn

sorry cait, broombridge is a kip and its barely used - bye bye

there already is an airport interchange station - drumcondra, take the 16A or 41 - takes 18 mins off peak
Donal Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 10:48   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

A new station is planned for Pelletstown, this is in addition to Broombridge. Both appear on IE's map. Broombridge is likely to be rebuilt and moved back towards Liffey Junction when the Luas to Liffey Junction is built, Liffey Junction is the curve about 200m on the Drumcondra side of Broombridge.

The new stations proposed on the Maynooth line are
Pelletstown between Ashtown and Broombridge, previously known as Ashington
Phoenix Park between Ashtown and Castleknock, previously known as River Rd
Porterstown between Coolmine and Clonsilla

Broombridge is the pits, the local vandals tear down or burn out anything new is put in. The ticket office was burned out at least twice. Add in the failed attempt to derail a train and lets not forget the urban legend about the bouquet of flowers, which in fact is true

If you are a Maynooth line user and wish to go to the airport via Metro we suggest you make a submission to the RPA http://www.rpa.ie/metro/have_your_say specifying your desire for a interchange at either Glasnevin Junction or Drumcondra. I met and spoke the to the RPA yesterday about this and they want such but appear to need to force the budget situation through public support, they didn't say that its my read

On the overall Maynooth line, from experience with IE, lighting, signage etc they will fix if they are put on the spot, services and timetables they stubbornly refused to make any moves. If you want security at the car park then you will have to pay
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 12:15   #4
cait
New to the board

Thanks Mark for the useful comments

I want aware of the liffey valley interchange you mentioned, it sounds reasonable enough if it actually gets built and if its only 200m from the present station I would be very happy with that as it would be very close to me.

I find using the station in Broombridge quite handy and I have never experienced any problems regarding acts of vandalism or attempted de-raillings. I wasn't aware that a ticket office had been burnt out twice either, but I guess that explains why there is nothing there now. Could you expand on "the urban legend about the bouquet of flowers" whats all that about, sounds nasty
In my opinion it's a catch 22 situation there at Broombridge. because its unmanned and located close to empty factories it is a target for vandalism, but its also under-utlilzed. I dont undestand the reason for this but for most people in the area the bus links are very good

Ill take your advice and check out the rpa site and add my comments

Thanks again
Unread 04-04-2006, 13:01   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The lack of a staff presence is the real problem, I wouldn't blame anyone for avoiding the place.

There was quite a sustained period of chaos in 2004, it reached a point where a barricade was placed across the tracks, the train struck but the driver managed to reverse back and clear the obstruction http://www.platform11.org/media/pres...no=pr_030.html

The bouquet of flowers story dates from the time the modern Maynooth service began 1990. In a strange twist to the IE we all love to hate on the opening day a bouquet of flowers was presented to the first female passenger at the new stations, no female passenger showed up at Broombridge

Hopefully things in Broombridge will clean up with the Luas as it will become an important interchange

As always if something goes wrong we would love to know, in particular any specific issues as IE tend to be useful about things like that, train times are a different issue
Unread 05-04-2006, 08:40   #6
TomB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cait
Hi

I use the Broombridge station every day
Welcome to the board, cait!

I sympathise with you using Broombridge -- that place gives me the creeps even in broad daylight, but maybe you're made of sterner stuff than me!

As a matter of interest, what time do you normally get a train there, and how many people would normally board with you?
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 11:33   #7
Donal Quinn

ah yes ah welcome to the board cait
sorry if my post was a bit abrupt...
Donal Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 14:04   #8
cait
New to the board

Hi Thomas

I get one of three Arrows between 750 and 8.27

On Average there are approx ten-twelve people getting on give or take a few.
In the evening I return around 6 or 6.30 and there always seem to be about 15-20 getting off at that time. So its true its strangely under-utilized. But ,because so few of us get on we can usually squeeze on easily enough at a separate door .That suits me, plus I dont really get too squashed as I get to lean against the door......I love commuting

There really is no problem with the station at all , obviously as I said little Oiks are going to hang around there late at night and drink or whatever, but there is never anything going on around the normal commuting times or during the day at the weekend ,all thats needed is a few Cops every now and then to patrol the place. Naturally I always carry my pepper spray and flick knife but I think my expert knowledge of martial arts is enough to frighten away little kids

Of course its not the most pleasant place to hang out (but then train platforms generally aren't) , but it very handy, 15 mins to the southside and you can be surrounded by a totally different environment

Hopefully I am not advocating the use of the station too much (!) Although somehow I think I am safe enough with that.

It really wouldn't surprize me too much if they did away with it altogether but hopefully if the service improves and the station improves perhaps more people will be encouraged to use it

By the way, how come you wanted to know this...you're not a spy for IE who wants to shut the station down are you ......Ill be getting onto Bertie ....

Cait
Unread 05-04-2006, 14:29   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We have been thinking for years that Thomas was a mole from IE but I'm afraid not. We just want to find out what is wrong. We know Broombridge is dodgy finding someone who uses the station almost impossible

While we are literally standing on the platform next to you we can't be everywhere and rely heavily on the regular passenger to get in contact with any issues. We need your feedback there is no better person to explain the challenges of the daily commute than the commuter themselves

A ticket vending machine in Broombridge could be worth a try, is it warranted ? given the design IE use have survived falling off buildings, being dumped in lakes I think the local vandals won't win this time
Unread 05-04-2006, 15:30   #10
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
A ticket vending machine in Broombridge could be worth a try, is it warranted ? given the design IE use have survived falling off buildings, being dumped in lakes I think the local vandals won't win this time
I don't know Mark. I know these machines are tough but the lads in Broombridge should win an award for vandalism techniques. I remember one morning all the light poles had been unscrewed and bolts stolen!!!

If only they could put the same effort into fixing things....
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 20:07   #11
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Its when the vending machine vanishes with all the money in it, then you can get all romantic about them being dropped off bridges and getting chucked into the canal. When I lived in Maynooth and used to get the last sligo train on a Saturday night I used to be genuinely scared going through Boombridge of the carraige getting stoned. And by that I mean people chucking rocks at it.
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 21:00   #12
philip

A TVM in Broombridge as it stands would be a hiding to nothing. The place is the most vandalised station I have seen anywhere in the world. There is virtually nothing left to vandalise! A TVM would be like a big challenge to the local scumbags. The station should remain 'minimalist' until conditions allow it to be manned 24/7 or the area is redeveloped in it's entirety. One of Broombridge's big problems is it's setting. Shouldn't close though, it has a lot of potential with T21 coming along.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 21:20   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Bring it on, Broombridge vandals are very well equiped they bring there own tools, spanners blot cutters etc. The vandals will try there best. The way to beat vandals is persistence you replace and repair ASAP
Unread 11-04-2006, 11:14   #14
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

One of the Broombridgean tactics I have seen is pile up wood beside the offending object. Pour petrol over the wood and offender and light. The end result usually leaves enemy unable to recover as was the case of the "station" in Broombridge.

I would love to know if the TVMs were tested against this sort of abuse.

Has anyone got conclusive proof that there isn't a time warp on the line and Broombridge station isn't a post apocalyptic Dublin? Until I see proof that there is no time warp I continue to believe that this is the only answer.

Last edited by PaulM : 11-04-2006 at 11:23.
Unread 11-04-2006, 16:01   #15
Mark

Perhaps rename it Baghdad?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 16:05   #16
philip

Quote:
Bring it on, Broombridge vandals are very well equiped they bring there own tools, spanners blot cutters etc. The vandals will try there best. The way to beat vandals is persistence you replace and repair ASAP
Don't you think it would get rather expensive to be repairing/replacing TVMs on a regular basis?
Unread 11-04-2006, 16:51   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip
Don't you think it would get rather expensive to be repairing/replacing TVMs on a regular basis?
Sub contract it, I'm sure the manufacture offers a warranty and a commitment that the product can take antisocal behavior
Unread 11-04-2006, 16:57   #18
philip

Quote:
Sub contract it, I'm sure the manufacture offers a warranty and a commitment that the product can take antisocal behavior
There's expected abuse and then there's what goes on at Broombridge. They managed to melt a patch of the actual platform there remember! They are a cut above a few kids jamming lollipop sticks into the coin slot-they'd probably remove the TVM completely by ramming it with a JCB they robbed from one of the buildig sites nearby. No manufacturer would warranty the type of abuse the TVM would come under at Brombridge. It simply wouldn't stand a chance. The screens would be the obvious target-smashed in every night and useless for a week or so until Scheidt u. Bachman come out and repair it. It's simply nt a runner until Broombridge is a manned station with residential development around it instead of those run-down industrial units.
Unread 11-04-2006, 20:27   #19
Mark

Give those lads an award!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 08:23   #20
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Give those lads an award!
I'd have to agree. I don't condone their actions but if they should get a nobel prize for vandalism.

Is there any plans for that area. Right beside the station there is a field that used to have burned out car trees growing in it. Beside that there is an old werehouse where someone has chosen to advertise 'GAS' quite alot in red paint. That whole area could probably be converted into a shopping centre which would be highly integrated with rail and would bring a lot of people to that station. Is this just a fanatasy?