Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-10-2013, 11:56   #21
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
International practice on suburban services the world over is for random spot checks. This is nothing unusual. As Mark says, I've experienced the same several times on the Barcelona metro, where a blitzes have taken place backed up by guardia civil officers.

There is no overtime cost as everyone is either on shift or managers who don't get paid overtime.

Frankly - the more checks the better as it will dissuade those who are contributing to your and my fares having to rise.

From what I've heard the recent blitzes in Dublin have resulted in significant numbers of evaders being caught.

Revenue protection is a problem - just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Staff are hardly going to yell at the top of their voices "I've got one". While Irish Rail statistics are not published, in Q1 of 2013 on Dublin Bus there were nearly 1,100 standard fares issued out of 26,000 tickets checked. That to me would suggest it is far more widespread than you seem to think.
You seem to have a lot of time on your hands - maybe you could to a cost benefit analysis vis. ticket checkers or 'over the top ambush' ticket checks. And while your at it, check the meaning of 'significant'.

Last edited by grainne whale : 24-10-2013 at 12:00.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-10-2013, 12:13   #22
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
You seem to have a lot of time on your hands - maybe you could to a cost benefit analysis vis. ticket checkers or 'over the top ambush' ticket checks. And while your at it, check the meaning of 'significant'.
With respect - what I do with my time is my own business and certainly none of yours. It has nothing to do with this subject, and I'd rather you didn't resort to attempting to chide me.

Mark can back me up - the numbers caught in the blitzes were significant.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-10-2013, 12:31   #23
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
With respect - what I do with my time is my own business and certainly none of yours. It has nothing to do with this subject, and I'd rather you didn't resort to attempting to chide me.

Mark can back me up - the numbers caught in the blitzes were significant.
Apologies, you seem to have a great interest in Irish Rail and rail travel, might be a nice little project for you.

Last edited by grainne whale : 24-10-2013 at 12:34.
Unread 24-10-2013, 12:34   #24
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Ambush tactics are far more expensive and ineffective to run than employing ticket checkers.
Every Intercity route out of Heuston and I expect the same for Connolly have ticket checkers employed and operate on selected services and RPU generally pick particular services to carry out checks to. Its good to have a mix as I think ticket checkers are to soft when it comes non fare paying passengers.

On most routes RPU only operate in 2's, have never saw any more but at commuter locations more are needed because of the passenger volume and quick exits at stops.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-10-2013, 12:44   #25
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Every Intercity route out of Heuston and I expect the same for Connolly have ticket checkers employed and operate on selected services and RPU generally pick particular services to carry out checks to. Its good to have a mix as I think ticket checkers are to soft when it comes non fare paying passengers.

On most routes RPU only operate in 2's, have never saw any more but at commuter locations more are needed because of the passenger volume and quick exits at stops.
Jamie, on several occasions (morning and evening) I've seen 15/20 (RPU and their side kick paramilitary) at Hazelhatch Station and never catch anyone as most people have Annual or Leap tickets. A ticket collector is far more effective certainly on a commuter train.
Unread 24-10-2013, 14:03   #26
haddockman
Regular Poster

I have not seen any ticket checkers or RPU on any trains in the last year and I am regularly travelling Ballybrophy/Thurles to Dublin. So the only controls I see are the ticket barriers in Heuston that can be easily defeated with a leap card.
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-10-2013, 14:18   #27
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
I have not seen any ticket checkers or RPU on any trains in the last year and I am regularly travelling Ballybrophy/Thurles to Dublin. So the only controls I see are the ticket barriers in Heuston that can be easily defeated with a leap card.
When you swipe a Leap Card I always understood that it either deducted or reimbursed your card ie tag off /on, and you can't get through a barrier otherwise, and staff are there (at Heuston) to observe.

Last edited by grainne whale : 24-10-2013 at 14:55.
Unread 24-10-2013, 22:33   #28
haddockman
Regular Poster

It would cost the max leap card fare to open the barriers.
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-10-2013, 07:01   #29
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Depending on the sequence of events you could be charged 2 * max fares to exit

There is a log kept of such events to catch people doing this very thing
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-10-2013, 08:04   #30
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

I'd imagine that if you arrived off a train that the last stop was eg Thurles or Ballybrophy and used a Leap card (fare evasion) to pass the barriers, IR staff would not be long 'copping on' to you.
Unread 25-10-2013, 08:37   #31
James Howard

The same approach would work if you had a short hop commuter pass though which would cost a lot less than a P2P from Ballybrophy.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-10-2013, 08:44   #32
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
The same approach would work if you had a short hop commuter pass though which would cost a lot less than a P2P from Ballybrophy.
You might get away with it once or twice, but that would be it. Irish Rail staff are no fools. They know the regular commuters and the type of ticket they have.
Unread 25-10-2013, 08:55   #33
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Incidentally, max fare events are not considered transit events so do not count towards a cap on the leap card so it could work out to be cheaper just to buy a monthly ticket for your journey.

This is why there needs to be both on train, to catch people with no ticket and with people gaping (i.e have a valid tickets for start and end points but not valid in the middle) and at the end to catch people.

People traveling on suspect smartcards have been picked up by RPU as people normally stick to a routine so its not hard to catch them, remember if its a taxsaver ticket Irish Rail have your mug shot
Unread 29-10-2013, 00:11   #34
footloose
New to the board

What about having tickets for sale by the Catering service or at the bar, do all trains have trolley service. I know someone will claim this is an outside company but why not combine the service. Maybe you could buy bus tickets on board for ongoing journeys. I if there was more information on trains about fares, tickets, destinations etc more people would buy tickets. Certainly on the Galway and Belfast routes the Catering service always leave a flyer at each table, that could include asking 'did you remember to buy a ticket etc.''
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-10-2013, 13:09   #35
Jamie2k9

Quote:
I if there was more information on trains about fares, tickets, destinations etc more people would buy tickets. Certainly on the Galway and Belfast routes the Catering service always leave a flyer at each table, that could include asking 'did you remember to buy a ticket etc.''
excuses, excuses.....you don't just run onto a train without paying and say you forgot to buy a ticket. Signs at stations make it quiet clear.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-10-2013, 21:12   #36
ocian
New to the board

Personally I would prefer to see ticket checkers with a portable ticket machine (like on Rosslare services) then RPU staff, mainly because a) they tend to be much nicer to customers than RPU staff, and b) if someone could not purchase the correct ticket from a TVM before boarding the train they can sell it to them. The problem with the TVMs is they don't sell/print SW or child tickets (for obvious reasons), and they also do not sell cross route tickets. I regularly get cross route tickets as they are more convenient and also alot cheaper (buying a separate ticket for each leg of my journey would cost me almost double!). I usually start my journey on the Rosslare line where I buy my ticket from the booking office if open and on the train if it's not, no problems. However once I was travelling the other direction (starting on the Kildare line) and needed a ticket, but the booking office was closed and the TVMs could not sell my ticket. So got on the train with full intention of buying a ticket as normal either on it, or at Heuston. I met an RPU officer on the train with my cash and student card in hand and explained my situation and inability to buy my ticket at the station. However he was very rude to me and was very much by the book: you have no ticket, you pay a fine. I even had old tickets from portable ticket machines to prove my point, but he didn't care, 120 euro fine. There was no need for the rudeness and clearly I was not fare evading if I'm asking to buy a ticket from him. And as I say this could happen to anyone looking for cross route/child/SW tickets. So I think ticket checkers are the way forward, not RPU ambushes
ocian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-10-2013, 09:28   #37
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Firstly if the ticket machine cannot sell you the ticket you want you are entitled to travel without a ticket, subject to obtaining the ticket at the earliest opportunity. You have not evaded the fare and are not attempting to defraud the company of the fare.

SW pass holders are required to obtain a ticket when possible, this is more to do with an attempt to account for usage, once a valid pass is held there is no issue. Child tickets are available for all destinations except those within the Dublin suburban area.

If you have not appealed the fine, do so immediately.

The basic appeal here is the ticket vending machine was defective as it could not sell you the ticket you sought, the ticket you sought is not unusual and you have purchased it before.

Also state that the CIE byelaws, SI 109/1984 make no reference to use of a ticket machine. You did not have any intent to defraud the company, the company was negligent in failing to make available the ticket you sought and under the customer charter you are entitled to the most appropriate ticket for your journey.

If the appeal fails, forward the appeal + the fine reference number to us and we shall see what we can do.

You did nothing wrong and the RPU officer should be suspended/disclipined for a gross breach of proceedure
Unread 30-10-2013, 13:04   #38
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
Apologies, you seem to have a great interest in Irish Rail and rail travel, might be a nice little project for you.
lets all be nice, this isn't boards.ie
Unread 30-10-2013, 13:07   #39
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
the 7.33 ex-templemore (also calls at BB) always has a ticket checker on board. always checked from kildare/sallins inwards.
Unread 30-10-2013, 16:00   #40
ocian
New to the board

Thanks Mark, glad to know I was right (an am right if this happens in future in case this happens again). This incident was however about 2 years ago (can't even remember when and don't have any paperwork for it anymore, I just remember the vague story). At the time I didn't even know about the appeals process, and part of me was thinking that maybe he was right and I'd rather not worsen the situation. I paid the fine just to have the issue put to bed and not have to think about it anymore. Since it was so long ago I have no interest in chasing it now, I'd rather not bring up the issue again. It just goes to show from my experience that ticket checkers are far better than RPU officers
ocian is offline   Reply With Quote