Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-09-2012, 07:20   #1
joey
Regular Poster

Default Slow, Stop.

Is there a speed restriction on the Maynooth line? It is so slow from Ashtown to Connolly and vice versa, Christmas goes quicker!

Travelling to Sligo is the same, consistently a slow runner from Connolly to Maynooth, may as well use the commuter.
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 12:44   #2
karlr42

I think there's a restriction around Reilley's crossing(between Ashtown and Broombridge), related to the work that was going on there recently that cancelled a few Saturday morning services. Also seems to be one at the facing crossover just east of Croke Park.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 14:09   #3
joey
Regular Poster

I think the works at Riellys and Ashtown level crossings is now finished, a re-surfacing job on the road. They just trickle past croke park and into connolly. Certainly on the way out to Maynooth headed for Sligo it a slow run.
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 19:48   #4
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
I think the works at Riellys and Ashtown level crossings is now finished, a re-surfacing job on the road. They just trickle past croke park and into connolly. Certainly on the way out to Maynooth headed for Sligo it a slow run.
Irish Rail don't really do speed, especially out of Dublin.

Rosslare line, everything crawls to Greystones, really, really slowly.

Belfast line, Enterprise and limited stop services routinely take up to 30 minutes to cover the nine miles from Connolly to Malahide due to a combination of bad order track/points, poor scheduling, inflexible track layouts and Irish Rail’s “slowest train first” operations policy.

Sligo line, really slow to Maynooth due to a combination of temporary and permanent speed restrictions and poor scheduling. Non-stop to/from Maynooth should take no more than 21 minutes but frequently takes 30 minutes or more.

Cork line, despite totally renewing the Heuston station area and widening the route between Cherryorchard and Hazelhatch, trains crawl to and from Inchicore and typically take longer to travel from Heuston to Hazelhatch and vice versa than was the case twenty years ago.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 06:51   #5
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I don't know about the others but I think the main problems of the Sligo line is poor scheduling. I've been on a couple of late 19:05 services that have made the run in under 20 minutes.

A major problem with the evening Sligo services is waiting to get into Maynooth to cross with the 15:00 or 17:00 from Sligo. The 17:00 from Sligo is a particular problem as the 19:05 has to wait for it to leave Maynooth before it can proceed. This the 7th crossing that the 17:00 from Sligo has had to make so it isn't a surprise that this train is often a bit late and hence the 19:05 will crawl out to Maynooth or sit waiting for 10 or 15 minutes. In leaf-slip season I would do my best to try to get out on the 17:05 and would avoid the 19:05 at all costs.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote