Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-05-2007, 22:57   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default View from the UK

In Platform 11 we love international best practice, its what we aspire to. Last year we hit Northern Ireland and where most impressed. This time it was Birmingham, oh dear

So we get a lot people complaining about the inadequacies of Heuston/Tara Street/Connolly/Cork/Galway/Limerick etc. Well I had the misfourtune to use Birmingham New Street twice today and it gives kip and dump a whole new meaning, at first I thought it wasn't bad only to be told I actually exited using the fire exit the return trip was via the main station area I can't describe in words. And why don't the vending machines take cash??

All is forgiven the Mk4 interior is so much better than the Pendolino (the headroom is something you really notice), the PIS was lost as well and it was late (It took 13 minutes to do a 10 minute trip) and it smelled really bad. That said the Siemens Desiro electric train rocks, there was a novelty value in getting a seat on a 4 coach train at 17:45. Of course the track is billiard table smooth compared to here.

Upside is a serious and visable army of customer service people all in full uniform and best of all a human to do the PA's, there is a serious customer service ethic something desparately needed here
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-05-2007, 23:20   #2
Derek Wheeler

You're back so.

I expect full report. I may be ailing in my final hours, but work is work and the eagle eye is watching.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2007, 23:47   #3
alek smart

Gosh Mark,whilst you were abroad in Brum you could have taken in Digbeth Coach Station....The jewel in National Express`s crown.
This palatial location,due for demolition since.....hmmmm...1941 ?...places Busarus at the Taj Mahal end of the Coach Station spectrum.....Grass always Greener etc etc....
alek smart is offline   Reply With Quote