Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 02-07-2007, 18:47   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Committee Announcement

Dear All,

After discussing this with my fellow committee members and giving it much thought for a few months, I am standing down from my committee position at the AGM in September. It's been a crazy 4 and a half years, but a mostly enjoyable time also.

I don't believe I have anymore to offer P11 and anything that I'd bring to the table, would simply not have the manpower to deliver it. From an administrative stand point, P11 is rather small, despite our growing membership and positive media profile. For me personally, the workload has become very demanding and I no longer have the time to devote to it. I'd like to move on to other areas and explore some personal ambitions that have been on hold for a few years. I'll be staying in the hot seat until the AGM, when hopefully, I can hand the reins over to a successor. I'd just like to spend some time out of the rail spot light and I can also do without my name being bandied about the internet, by crackpots and internet warriors, in relation to railways. It gets very tiring when you receive emails, PMs etc from people accusing you of things, demanding things or just plain misrepresenting the facts. Of course I accept it goes with the territory, when you are the spokesperson of an organisation like P11. But I need some time away from it and so do my family. These days the media are virtually 24 hours a day and its no longer possible for me to take calls or do interviews at strange hours.

Ive given it my all from day one and I think I did a good job in representing P11. I wish my colleagues the very best and I thank all our forum members for their intellectual input over the years.

Regards,
Derek Wheeler.
Communications & Media Officer.
Unread 02-07-2007, 21:07   #2
Redsoxfan
New to the board

All the best Derek.

Thanks for your work on behalf of us commuters.
Unread 02-07-2007, 21:25   #3
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

All the best Derek.
Thanks for doing a great Job.

We'll all miss your contributions to The Last Word, Q&A, etc!

Good luck to you and your Family!!!!!!!!
Unread 02-07-2007, 23:44   #4
Zephyr
New to the board

Well done on your hard work and commitment to the job and good luck with your future projects.
Unread 03-07-2007, 00:13   #5
ThomasJ

derek all the best for the future.

theres no doubt us commuters are better off as a result of your (and your colleagues at p11) contribution to ensuring that a better rail service is provided for all. Your press interviews have been top notch and i dont think irish rail will forget you for that. they have met their match on occasions!

Hopefully your idea of seeing Kildare trains pass platform 11 in heuston station through the ppt to connolly will become a reality one day.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 03-07-2007 at 00:18.
Unread 03-07-2007, 07:31   #6
packetswitch

I think you should hire yourself out as a consultant. Going toe to toe with railway civil servants is great training.

Wheeler Media, anyone?

Best of luck, as others have said
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:12   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetswitch View Post

Wheeler Media, anyone?
Already exists. Derek has done loads of stuff in the media in his time and its something that he wants to turn his attention to again and who can blame him?

It goes without saying that the best way anyone posting here can help is to become a member and take their interest and their desire to change things further.
Unread 03-07-2007, 12:31   #8
alek smart

Best of Luck Derek.
Your trump card in all of your Media Bytes was ENTHUSIASM,which combined with Commonsense achieved a great deal in terms of challenging the peddled line in matters Railway.

In the meantime keep poking the media fire.
The sparks from such poking are still flying around Kildare St following from Joe Duffy`s Liveline piece of the Port Tunnel/Dublin Bus fiasco...
Unread 28-09-2007, 21:52   #9
Derek Wheeler

I suppose I better bump this thread.

At our AGM on September 8th a new committee was elected. Despite my previous announcement in July, a number of factors arose in the interim. At the request of my committee colleagues, I have agreed to remain in place as the spokesperson for the organisation, which is currently undergoing a major redevelopment. These new developments include a name change, new web site and major new campaigns across both a customer service and infrastructural spectrum. These changes will be happening very quickly and I am staying on to oversee them.

However, my involvement will be somewhat less noticeable as these changes come about. As I previously stated, I wish to persue other endeavours. It was a very hard decision to make in relation to standing down and its equally hard making a decision to stay on. I hope my continued input will finally bring the organisation to a different level and deliver the changes that are so urgently needed for its continued success.
Closed Thread