Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-02-2010, 09:20   #101
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Discounted day return is 19.50 return for Killarney Cork
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2010, 11:43   #102
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Discounted day return is 19.50 return for Killarney Cork
Which is presumably why that one train shows up as 19.50, because the day return fare is cheaper than the online single.

The Kerry-Cork fares still look like a huge anomaly compared to the prices available on other routes. Should Cork-Kerry really cost more than Cork-Dublin, especially when the trains generally have more capacity to spare.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2010, 13:58   #103
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
The Kerry-Cork fares still look like a huge anomaly compared to the prices available on other routes. Should Cork-Kerry really cost more than Cork-Dublin, especially when the trains generally have more capacity to spare.
As we do point out from time to time, Iarnród Éireann's maximum fares on each route are set by the Department of Transport (and the booking office fare is generally at this maximum), and legally any lower fare they offer is entirely at their own discretion. The full fare from Cork to Killarney (or vice-versa) is €26 single and €42 return. A person booking that journey online generally knocks out seats on two separate services (the Cork-Heuston and Mallow-Tralee) that Iarnród Éireann is unlikely to be able to sell for the rest of the leg.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2010, 14:37   #104
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
The full fare from Cork to Killarney (or vice-versa) is €26 single and €42 return. A person booking that journey online generally knocks out seats on two separate services (the Cork-Heuston and Mallow-Tralee) that Iarnród Éireann is unlikely to be able to sell for the rest of the leg.
Not necessarily. Heuston-Cork services can be full leaving Heuston, but very quiet by the time they get to Cork, as so many passengers join at Limerick Junction (everyone from Clare, Limerick, South Tipperary and some from North Cork, Waterford and Kilkenny) and Mallow (everyone from Kerry and many people from North Cork - Charleville is a shadow of its former self in terms of the number of stopping services). Sure, passengers from a base population of 300,000 people join at Cork/Cobh/Midleton, but up to 700,000 join between Mallow and Templemore, admittedly including direct Limerick-Heuston services. Not all at the same time of course.

I've not studied it in detail, but I imagine a seat that is sold for Heuston-Limerick Junction can be re-sold for Limerick Junction-Cork.
Unread 19-02-2010, 16:54   #105
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
I've not studied it in detail, but I imagine a seat that is sold for Heuston-Limerick Junction can be re-sold for Limerick Junction-Cork.
It can, but it relies on the customer selecting it.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 19:36   #106
Kilocharlie

Default Realtime display today

Another odd one...

The attached image at 08:21 shows the 0610 from Waterford with an eta in Kildare of 08:36 (45 mins late) while at the same time showing that the train has left Kildare!

So if one turned up expecting a train at 0836, one would be dissappointed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kildare-5mar10.jpg (55.4 KB, 573 views)

Last edited by Kilocharlie : 12-03-2010 at 08:52.
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 20:24   #107
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It got really confused
Name:  Picture 2.jpg
Views: 2653
Size:  28.5 KB
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:47   #108
Kilocharlie

Quote:
It got really confused
Attachment 1148
Any idea of the colour coding on these pop-ups?
Yellow appears to be station not yet reached but this is not consistent
Blue - stations that the train has stopped at but this is not consistent
Red - where it stated from but not consistent (sometimes apperas mid route)

So is there an IE explanation of the colour codes?
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:21   #109
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Blue is for live real time information = if its blue the train has arrived and left the station in question and the times presented are the actual arrive/depart

Yellow is for estimate

Red is normally for next stopping station
Unread 28-04-2010, 09:09   #110
finnyus

Question Your Station Section

Hi,

are there any plans to update the "Your Station" section of the irishrail.ie website with Midleton & Carrigtwohill stations? Just noticed there that the recently opened Clongriffin station has been added: Midleton & Carrigtwohill have been open since July last year.

F.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-04-2010, 11:25   #111
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
Hi,

are there any plans to update the "Your Station" section of the irishrail.ie website with Midleton & Carrigtwohill stations? Just noticed there that the recently opened Clongriffin station has been added: Midleton & Carrigtwohill have been open since July last year.

F.
I asked for all new stations to be added, about a fortnight ago. I didn't specifically realise these two were missing.
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:00   #112
finnyus

Default Laser Cards, CVS numbers, Booking failed...

Hi guys,

some observations while using the website this morning.

My dad on 07:30 Cork - Dub this morning rang me as he wanted to get home on the 16:00 Dub - Cork, so he needed a reservation.

Went through the process of booking a reservation for him with my Laser card. When I clicked to confirm the booking, I got a message saying that there was a problem (due to a number of reasons, e.g. slow internet connection...).

I repeated the process 5 times. The final time, I said, maybe I will leave the CSV number (card security number) blank this time, and it worked fine. Was able to purchase the reservation.

Maybe if a user selects "Laser", then the CSV field can be disabled? as it is not required for Laser transactions.

When I was typing "Cork" into the "To" field on the homepage journey planner, the full list of stations appeared, even though Cork was already entered into the "To" field. When I tried to select Cork via keyboard arrow keys and the "return" key it would not work. Had to delete Cork and type it back in again.

Fin.
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:48   #113
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Some Maestro debit cards mainly issued by non Irish based banks have a CVV code, Irish issued ones don't

I think the instructions provided are quite clear
Name:  Screen shot 2010-06-11 at 11.46.57.png
Views: 1945
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  Screen shot 2010-06-11 at 11.47.20.png
Views: 8103
Size:  54.2 KB

The system is intelligent, select Laser and enter a Visa card number it will charge the 3 euro credit card fee

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 11-06-2010 at 10:52.
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:51   #114
finnyus

Quote:
Some Maestro debit cards mainly issued by non Irish based banks have a CVV code, Irish issued ones don't

I think the instructions provided are quite clear
My Bank of Ireland 365 Laser Card (Maestro /Cirrus) has the CSV code at the back. That's why I entered it.
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:57   #115
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
My Bank of Ireland 365 Laser Card (Maestro /Cirrus) has the CSV code at the back. That's why I entered it.
Thats a flaw in the Irish banking clearing system, they just don't use CCV/CVV codes
Unread 11-06-2010, 10:58   #116
finnyus

Quote:
Thats a flaw in the Irish banking clearing system, they just don't use CCV/CVV codes
Another thing that they got wrong...
Unread 11-06-2010, 13:39   #117
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
When I was typing "Cork" into the "To" field on the homepage journey planner, the full list of stations appeared, even though Cork was already entered into the "To" field. When I tried to select Cork via keyboard arrow keys and the "return" key it would not work. Had to delete Cork and type it back in again.
As you type the name, it prompts the relevant stations. Sometimes I do find its a bit slow, but only a few seconds. I'm not sure if thats a user-side or server-side issue.
Unread 24-07-2010, 22:00   #118
Jferb

The booking page states:

€3 fee applies to Mastercard and Visa Credit Card transactions. No fees for Laser / Debit Card Transactions.

So it states that no fee is charged for debit cards but provides no means of making a Visa Debit booking. Which is of huge concern to all us Ulster Bank and PTSB customers currently being converted from Laser to Visa Debit.

I've been on to IE repeatedly about this but to no avail. Have RUI had any discussions with IE about this???

Presumably if one were to select Laser and enter a Visa Debit number, the 'intelligent' system would process it as a Visa credit card and charge €3. In which case the customer would be entitled to a refund of that €3.
Jferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2010, 00:11   #119
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We have had discussions with Irish Rail, debit cards are to incur no charge is our understanding

There are have been wide spread issues with visa debit cards with many retailers in recent months, its not unique to Irish Rail. The entire point a visa debit card is that the retailer sees it as a standard visa card and is processed the same way at the same cost

The web page is intelligent and it can distinguish between various card types based on the card number. You can try a visa debit with laser selected and see what it does.
Unread 25-07-2010, 22:29   #120
Jferb

I'll give that a go once my Laser card expires at the end of the month and report back. Unless I hear back from IE in the meantime.
Jferb is offline   Reply With Quote