Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Limerick
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-03-2007, 15:04   #1
Brian.Stokes

Default New intercity railcars & Galway

I attended a Transport 21 meeting for the Mid West the other day in Limerick and a few things caught my eye.

1) That they have some of the new trains in Limerick at the moment (am trying to swing a visit on one) but they couldn't say beyond the line "early next year" when the city would be benefiting from these fine new trains. Any idea what the roll out time will be for the Mid West.

2) Being full aware that this noble message board and it's contributors have many views on the WRC, the "official" time was 1 hr 50 mins from Limerick to Galway. Now there was some talk of this being the max time but is that not quite slow? I believe a lot of the level crossing are being dealt or have i understand incorrectly?

There was a rep from the NRA at the meeting and when she saw the Limerick - Galway travel time, the smirk was difficult to hide. I was told though after the meeting that this time would be improved on by the time the service begins.

So thats a brief few bits of the rail issues that were addressed, there was stuff on Nenagh and Patrickswell and the changes to the Junction.

Anything i should look out for on the new trains?
Brian.Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2007, 15:26   #2
ooleary
Regular Poster

indeed the 1 hr 50 mins does seem excessive, especially given that according to the AA, travel time by road is only about 1:20...
ooleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2007, 15:30   #3
Brian.Stokes

And i did it in 1.15 2 weeks ago on a Monday and i was not pushing the boat out at all.
Brian.Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2007, 16:08   #4
houstyl
New to the board

The line speed Ennis-Limerick is pretty useless alright even after the relay in 2003. I can appreciate the limit as the line curves around Limerick city but in the countryside between Ennis and Cratloe it can't be more than 50m.p.h. Any good reason for this?
houstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2007, 16:14   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Level crossings are a bit of a issue concerning sighting distances, been worked on

The new railcars are in Limerick/Limerick Junction for commissioning nothing more, all new diesel kit is based in Limerick for testing since its a good location (100mph track and access to engineering facilities at Limerick) and its away from Dublin

Sligo is first in July/August, Rosslare could be late 2007, Its possible the Limerick Junction shuttle and the Cork Tralee service will go over in early 2008. Limerick will have to wait until the 6 coach intercity sets start to arrive even then money is on Galway or Waterford getting them ahead of Limerick, Waterford is important given Killkenny stations layout the time saving would be considerable
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-03-2007, 10:13   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

At the moment Limerick (and Templemore) has never had it so good in terms of rolling stock - no mrk2's and for us, three mark 4's per day.

I dont know about the shuttles though.