Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 04-12-2007, 15:57   #1
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Default Navan rail scoping study

Scoping study information starting to come out. 9 routes examined, the 1862 route with minor deviations is the preferred route.

Map of the old route is here.

Last edited by Navan Junction : 04-12-2007 at 16:10.
Unread 04-12-2007, 15:59   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

IE are not giving anything away since they should have got the report in the last week or so.

I know I asked

All the informed sources are saying orignal route which is thankfully the first piece of sense to come out of the Navan rail project in ages

It will be very interesting to see how they deal with the Trocaire Box houses in Killmessan (thats what the locals call them)

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 04-12-2007 at 16:03.
Unread 04-12-2007, 16:08   #3
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Apart from the original route with only minor deviations is the emerging preferred route out of 9 surveyed, and that it is to presented to Meath County Council asap
Unread 04-12-2007, 18:51   #4
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Sorry, should have mentioned that they have it now
Unread 04-12-2007, 20:04   #5
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Haven't looked at MoT for a while - that map is swishy.

Are there any proposals to run shuttles from Pace to Fairyhouse on race days?
Unread 05-12-2007, 20:34   #6
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

I could see it happening alright - few coach operators and you are off
Unread 05-12-2007, 23:22   #7
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Aren't the big meetings there on a Weekend, a time when IE provide a reduced service/no service to many stations.....

ha ha, only serious...
Unread 07-12-2007, 23:03   #8
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I wonder if an announcement will be dependent on the result of the Clonsilla-Pace inquiry.
Unread 13-12-2007, 23:27   #9
Derek Wheeler

Well holy god folks, its already started up in Meath. Original alignment emerges as preferred route and then the headbangers come out from the woodwork. From the Meath Chronicle. So hot it burns!

Quote:
THE announcement by Iarnrod Eireann that its "preferred route" for the restoration of the Navan-Dublin rail line is the original 1860s route has been criticised by a Meath councillor who described the route as "non-viable".
The rail company had agreed the terms of reference fore a scoping study with Meath County Council and had examined nine possible routes, opting eventually for the original route, with some minor deviations.
The study has now been finished and was due to be submitted to Meath County Council.
Independent councillor Brian Fitzgerald said that the viability of the route preferred by Iarnrod Eireann was in question. "If it is true that this is the preferred route - and I strongly hope that it is not - I hope the Government does not approve it. I don`t believe it will be viable," said Colr Fitzgerald.
"The possibility of development, including housing and industrial, has not been planned or provided for on that old route. It is not in the plan for the next 20 years," he added.
He maintained that the only possibility of making the rail line a viable proposition lay in providing a service from Dublin, and bringing in a service to areas like Dunshaughlin, Ratoath and Ashbourne, before travelling on to Navan.
He also said that if Dunshaughlin was to be serviced by the rail line, it would be necessary to make sure that the rail line would go under the M3, which is now under construction. "This is a critical aspect of the whole thing and the time to do that is now," he said.
He added: "Dunshaughlin is set to become a moderate growth town and would grow to a population of 10,000. A feeder service could be provided from Ratoath, which is another area undergoing growth."
Colr Fitzgerald said that there was provision in law for a part-funding of the rail link by Meath County Council but he believed this could only happen if the line was supported by populations along its route. "The advice was given to us by Martin Cullen when he was Minister for Transport - `come up with a proposal for funding that I can`t refuse`. The choosing of the old route for the railway line is a recipe for ensuring that it never goes to Navan," he claimed.
He called on Transport Minister Noel Dempsey to "stand up to Iarnrod Eireann and do the right thing for the county and not allow them to dictate to Meath that it should have a route which is not viable."
Colr Fitzgerald also said that the National Roads Authority (NRA) should not be allowed stand in the way of providing a route that was viable.
Considering how Meath CC were so supportive of the rail line....yeah right!..sure didn't they lash an oul sewer main along part of it....wouldn't you think that they'd have "planned" for the eventuallity? They didn't, because they didnt care. The M3 was their project to such a degree that not only was it demolishing megalthic tombs, but it was pounding through the original rail alignment until An Bord Pleanala stepped in. This latest outburst from a "thick" councillor is just what the Government need. Watch it unfold before your eyes.

In the west of Ireland, planning means nothing. In the east, its the ****e that binds together not much and nothing at all.

The Banjo will have cobwebs on it and certain rail people will be eating their words. Its politics in Ireland and its very predictable.
Unread 14-12-2007, 13:14   #10
Garrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
In the west of Ireland, planning means nothing. In the east, its the ****e that binds together not much and nothing at all.

I'd almost print that on a t-shirt!
Unread 14-12-2007, 13:51   #11
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

From the Guide to being a Local Polititian:

Quote:
He called on [INSERT DEPARTMENT] Minister [INSTERT NAME] to "stand up to [INSTERT SEMI-STATE] and do the right thing for the county and not allow them [INSERT "DUBLIN"]** to dictate to [INSERT COUNTY] that it should have a route which is not viable."
**This is an added option that appplies more than 50 miles from The Spire.

Carefull consideration should be given to also inserting the following line:

"They have their Luases and Darts and trains and night buses - what have we got?"
Unread 14-12-2007, 19:34   #12
philip

So if only we'd pushed for multiple WRC route options to be investigated we could have seen it sunk! Lesson learned. Politics in Oireland isn't just local, it's myopic.

The Navan link is to be held up by Meath people while the WRC motors ahead. What a country.
Unread 15-12-2007, 14:28   #13
eoin
New to the board

The fundamental problem, I think, is that councillors will be allowed to **** up these plans to their heart's content, because people don't have a clue what's going on. I live in Dunshaughlin, amongst people who spend hours in cars and on buses every day. They hate it and they'll moan about it, but they don't see the train as a realistic alternative. As far as most people are concerned, it ain't gonna happen. This is simply because they are aware, on some level, of the dithering that'll go on for years to come.

But everyone just accepts this. There is no pressure on politicians to just get on with it and build the bloody thing. It just isn't an issue. Knowledge of any plans to rebuild the railway is minimal. It's certainly not something I've ever heard discussed in the pub. People will probably contradict me on this, but in reality, the kind of person posting on this forum is the kind of person who cares about the railway to Navan. For the majority it's a non-issue, which is a shame.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 15-12-2007 at 14:31.
Unread 17-12-2007, 14:21   #14
dowlingm

Except on the WRC an alternative route would have been a better idea for Galway commuters (bend the track in towards Oranmore and don't bother with the cattle stops)
Unread 17-12-2007, 16:32   #15
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Except on the WRC an alternative route would have been a better idea for Galway commuters (bend the track in towards Oranmore and don't bother with the cattle stops)
Lets leave the WRC debate there lads.
Unread 17-12-2007, 16:33   #16
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Navan rail line would be good but is IE not short of Commuter Railcars?
Unread 17-12-2007, 17:47   #17
dowlingm

Not when the 22ks free up 29ks - or so IE says anyway...
Unread 17-12-2007, 19:45   #18
eoin
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithStephen View Post
Navan rail line would be good but is IE not short of Commuter Railcars?
These plans are a little more big picture than that. It's a given that more rolling stock would be needed.
Unread 17-12-2007, 19:49   #19
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin View Post
The fundamental problem, I think, is that councillors will be allowed to **** up these plans to their heart's content, because people don't have a clue what's going on. I live in Dunshaughlin, amongst people who spend hours in cars and on buses every day. They hate it and they'll moan about it, but they don't see the train as a realistic alternative. As far as most people are concerned, it ain't gonna happen. This is simply because they are aware, on some level, of the dithering that'll go on for years to come.

But everyone just accepts this. There is no pressure on politicians to just get on with it and build the bloody thing. It just isn't an issue. Knowledge of any plans to rebuild the railway is minimal. It's certainly not something I've ever heard discussed in the pub. People will probably contradict me on this, but in reality, the kind of person posting on this forum is the kind of person who cares about the railway to Navan. For the majority it's a non-issue, which is a shame.
At last some reality.

Well done Eoin.
Unread 17-12-2007, 21:53   #20
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin View Post
These plans are a little more big picture than that. It's a given that more rolling stock would be needed.
Of course it is, You guys deserve a rail service too & your bound to try every option there is....
Closed Thread