Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-08-2012, 14:04   #1
charly

Default Flexibility of student tickets bought online

I've been trying to figure out what the rules are with student tickets bought online. The irishrail website doesn't mention any special rules governing student tickets, but the RUI information mentions that they are valid on any service that day http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in...ts.php#student

I sent an email asking how flexible the student fares were and the most they would tell me is:
"When booking online you have select dates and times regardless of whether its student or adult fare,"
Which doesn't really answer my question (implies the opposite to what's on the RUI website, if anything).

A few of my friends have heard similar things before (it would explain student fares sometimes being more expensive), but there's no official information to be found.

They should really add a line to http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=141&n=205 if students have no surcharge.
charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-08-2012, 14:25   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Our understanding comes from speaking with the person who actually sets the rules

A student ticket bought online, is valid on any service same day without surcharge.

Quote:
Discounted adult tickets are valid only on the train upon which they are booked. Student and Faircard tickets are full price are flexible and can be used on any train on the date printed on the ticket. You are still advised to get the tickets endorsed for the train you are now travelling on.

So if you are a student you have a choice, pay the cheap fare and lose flexibility or pay the full fare and retain the ability to change your plans at no cost.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote