Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-04-2013, 16:35   #21
m3parkway
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
There are TMV's no excuse...
What about Hazelhatch? Its TMV's are locked inside the building. Only the leap card / smartcard validators are available when there are no staff. Also the shutters on the elevators are closed when there is no staff.
m3parkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2013, 08:05   #22
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
There are TMV's no excuse...
You do not travel this route - the stations are locked up - the grills are down, only a side gate is left open for passengers.

Last edited by grainne whale : 24-04-2013 at 10:09.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2013, 08:12   #23
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
You do not travel this route - the statios are locked up - the grills are down, only a side gate is left open for passengers.
Irish Rail really need to decide if they're going to use manned or unmanned stations - having a mix of the two with inaccessible TVMs is the worst of both worlds.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2013, 12:17   #24
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

staff at heuston would know which ones open or closed.
Unread 24-04-2013, 14:47   #25
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
In fact I'm not sure they do, I got off a train in Heuston last Saturday, I had to tell the chap (staff) that Hazelhatch station was locked up - I have the annual ticket. This really sends out the wrong message to passengers, some days they don't need a ticket and other days they do.
Unread 24-04-2013, 18:07   #26
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
Assuming they do (and I don't believe they can accurately say they do), it causes confusion and doubt in customers minds. It's not hard to be consistent and yet the only thing Irish Rail are consistent about is being inconsistent.
Unread 25-04-2013, 17:07   #27
CastaheaneyMan
New to the board

Default Ticket checking Clonsilla

About 15 IR personnel at moment checking tickets in Clonsilla (18.00)
CastaheaneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-06-2013, 13:18   #28
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Further inquiries in Irish Rail indicates that many head office department heads have been issued with RPU id cards, RPU warrant cards and have received the RPU training course.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-06-2013, 18:02   #29
Kilocharlie

Noticeable increase in RPU checks recently. Today, there were 4 at Kildare, 2 on the train and a gang at Heuston all checking tickets.
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-06-2013, 21:55   #30
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

That's just the tip of the iceberg of what is coming.
Unread 27-06-2013, 22:36   #31
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Do IE management have any idea how much fare evaders or people who are unable to purchase tickets cost the company every year?
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-06-2013, 09:11   #32
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
It's overkill I wonder what the cost benfit analysis really is.
Unread 28-06-2013, 11:12   #33
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

On one single train last year a total of 80 people were caught without a valid ticket, they all had tickets but when checked a strange pattern was discovered. RPU had been tipped off in advance based on an internal system which red flagged that train. 8000 euro in fines plus the fare difference

If you have a ticket you have nothing to worry about, if you don't you will be caught. Don't try to run either they have enough staff at each check to give chase now. Cost wise, the large scale checks are part staffed by management so no extra cost.

If we start with the assumption that fare evasion is about 5% of total, that's 1.8 million journeys per year, @ 5 euro for average yield per passenger that's 9 million

Reducing fare evasion from 5% to 4% is worth 1.8 million in increased revenues.

Focus is on
1. Adults with child tickets
2. Social welfare passes
3. Student tickets, no student ID
4. Use of stolen (hot) tickets
5. Sharing of annual tickets
Unread 28-06-2013, 12:36   #34
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
On one single train last year a total of 80 people were caught without a valid ticket, they all had tickets but when checked a strange pattern was discovered. RPU had been tipped off in advance based on an internal system which red flagged that train. 8000 euro in fines plus the fare difference

If you have a ticket you have nothing to worry about, if you don't you will be caught. Don't try to run either they have enough staff at each check to give chase now. Cost wise, the large scale checks are part staffed by management so no extra cost.

If we start with the assumption that fare evasion is about 5% of total, that's 1.8 million journeys per year, @ 5 euro for average yield per passenger that's 9 million

Reducing fare evasion from 5% to 4% is worth 1.8 million in increased revenues.

Focus is on
1. Adults with child tickets
2. Social welfare passes
3. Student tickets, no student ID
4. Use of stolen (hot) tickets
5. Sharing of annual tickets
What a scoop, 80 on the one train
Management should concentrate on getting the trains to run on time, this would also increase revenue, they are losing many passengers on my commuter route, I'm sure the same applies on other routes.
I'm a regular commuter and honestly it's a least 6 months since I've anyone hauled up at any station for not having a ticket. Most people commuting have the Taxsaver ticket. Why should the ordinary compliant commuter be constantly inconvenienced.

Last edited by grainne whale : 03-07-2013 at 12:44.
Unread 28-06-2013, 14:17   #35
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Grainne Whale: your gripe is just ridiculous. There is no excuse for cheating the system and no excuse for IE not trying to enforce the rules.

Service quality and punctuality are separate issues: don't try to mix them up with fare evasion.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-06-2013, 15:04   #36
markpb

Quote:
Cost wise, the large scale checks are part staffed by management so no extra cost.
Either the managers are doing unpaid overtime when on RPU or the work they do is less valuable than checking tickets. Those are odd options.
Unread 28-06-2013, 15:19   #37
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
Grainne Whale: your gripe is just ridiculous. There is no excuse for cheating the system and no excuse for IE not trying to enforce the rules.

Service quality and punctuality are separate issues: don't try to mix them up with fare evasion.
I've been commuting for a very long time, you get fed up with all crap passengers take from IR. (trains, more often than not, running late only to be held up again by the RPU checks, that is before you get to the validation machines at Heuston -delaying you further). This despite the fact that you have already had your ticket validated to get on the train at your local station. For God's sake all people want is to get to work on time. I have never supported fare evasion. Why don't you just run along now.

Last edited by grainne whale : 28-06-2013 at 15:59.
Unread 03-07-2013, 00:07   #38
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
I've been commuting for a very long time, you get fed up with all crap passengers take from IR. (trains, more often than not, running late only to be held up again by the RPU checks, that is before you get to the validation machines at Heuston -delaying you further). This despite the fact that you have already had your ticket validated to get on the train at your local station. For God's sake all people want is to get to work on time. I have never supported fare evasion. Why don't you just run along now.
It's IE approach over the years which has given you this attitude when it comes to ticket checks. (not an attack on you but in general this is the attitude of many) Only people who get on in Dublin City Centre have to have tickets. You can walk on at any other station in the Dublin area without a ticket and a very high chance of getting away with it.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:21   #39
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
It's IE approach over the years which has given you this attitude when it comes to ticket checks. (not an attack on you but in general this is the attitude of many) Only people who get on in Dublin City Centre have to have tickets. You can walk on at any other station in the Dublin area without a ticket and a very high chance of getting away with it.
I really would not think so, for the last number of years validation machines are in stations. It's the shoddy service that has given commuters that attitude. If services were improved I can assure peoples attitude would change.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:55   #40
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

GW: If fare evasion is due to shoddy service, then why does Veolia need such a rigorous enforcement effort on the Luas when it runs a really high-quality service?

I suppose I'd better run along now, here's my bus!
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote