Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 01-06-2010, 17:52   #1
CorkALVIN
New to the board

Default I'm New!!!

Hi, there, Just thought I'd introduce myself in the proper manner by saying hello.

I live in the UK, but have relatives in Cork so I know the city very well. I've been doing a bit of research over the years into reopening many of the disused Rail Routes around Cork City to places like Mahon, Bandon, Youghal, etc. as an integrated Light Rail Network for Cork. See: http://wwwalacroart.com/alvin.html for details of how proposed network might look.
Unread 01-06-2010, 19:10   #2
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Hi

You'll probably find this thread gets shut very quickly as infrastructural development is off-limits in the non-members section.

One thing I would say about your proposal is that it seems to over-focus on reopening old lines. In some cases, there's little remaining evidence of the line. You'll also end up with anomalies like Blarney having two stations on two different lines (one purpose built) while Ballincollig with four times the population isn't served.

If a rail network is restored around Cork, it's going to have to devlop around where people live, not where lines once went.
Unread 03-06-2010, 17:14   #3
CorkALVIN
New to the board

Thumbs up

Thanks, Comcor for the tip about not posting on matters of infrastructural development in the 'cafe' area (You're right about Ballincollig needing Light Rail; the ALVIN Network WILL include new routes to places such as this. I didn't know the cafe was a 'non-members' area, as I assume that anyone posting in that area as with all the rest of the Forum, has to open a members' account first, as I did so as to be able to introduce myself. BTW, I did try to register previously under a different name, but for some reason my new account wouldn't accept my password, probably I might not have correctly validated that account or something. Anyway, I hope the administrators can cancel any such defunct unused duplicate account, as this will be the one I am using!
Unread 03-06-2010, 23:18   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As posted above this is not an infrastructure forum and this thread is thus closed

Please provide a suitable thread title, 'I'm New!!!' is likely to lead to automatic deletion as it is frequently used by spammers

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 04-06-2010 at 10:32.
Closed Thread