Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-02-2006, 08:51   #1
Kildare Commuter
New to the board

Default Kildare Line Problems

Just a note to record the degradation in Kildare line services over recent months.

1st: While I welcomed the introduction of the 0515 service from Athlone, stopping in most of the Kildare line stops, the fact that it is normally freezing does not help. I think that the Cravens really show up this useful service. I took this train on the 1st Feb and I think it was colder on the train than outside, this despite the helpful ticket inspector telling passengers it was warmer closer to the Gen Van.

This morning, lights/heating were not working on most of the train and it was held in Kildare. The 29000 0645 service halted at the DOWN platform and the Portlaoise crossed in the middle road. The 0515 was held in Kildare until 0645 when it worked non-stop to Heuston.

Yesterday, 13th Feb, the 0645 29000 failed on the Curragh, leaving the passengers waiting for the earlybird from Waterford. Also, on Thursday last, the 0645 29000 failed at Newbridge, causing delays and requiring passengers transfer to the 0645 from Carlow.
Kildare Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-02-2006, 09:26   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

In over 2 years of service I've never seen or heard of a 29000 sitting down while in service, the Kildare line is easy going compared to the Drogheda or Maynooth lines. Even with 2 engines out a 29000 is still a fairly nippy machine and such is not a reason to declare a failure. The only major failure was one engine which let go and showered the East Meath countryside in hot metal about 2 years ago, but the train was able to get to the next station and indeed got home to base without need to resort to a tow or spanners.

Something fishy is going on as this is non standard behaviour

The cravens coaches are rarely at fault its the generator van that lets the show down. The good news is all the cravens coaches will be withdrawn by 28th February, 7 where withdrawn yesterday from Connolly, Cork withdrew 8 over Christmas, Limerick withdrew her batch in 2005. The 17:10 to Athlone and 5:15 Athlone Dublin will move to MK2d operation in the next few days (yes air conditioned), the set allocated for Athlone was meant to head to Heuston yesterday morning but is currently running Dublin Belfast for a few days after a enterprise set was badly damaged

We need this kind of information as IE play dumb about this when challenged, the level of cancellations and breakdowns onthe Kildare route is unacceptably high

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 14-02-2006 at 10:55.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-02-2006, 13:08   #3
Kildare Commuter
New to the board

I think the 0515 was worked by a Mk 2 set this morning.
Kildare Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2006, 19:54   #4
submarine
New to the board

Default Kildare Line Problems

The Craven coaches are one of the best vehicles ever perchased by IE. They have given excellent service for over forty years and not a sign of rust anywhere. Some of the steam pipes may leak but very little work would leave them in good order. IE should have spent a few bob on new generator vans or fixing the gear in the old ones!
submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2006, 20:15   #5
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarine
The Craven coaches are one of the best vehicles ever perchased by IE.
What routes are they still operational on?
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2006, 20:18   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is the point the coaches are actually quite acceptable for a medium distance journey. They are let down by the heating and lighting which is not a design issue with the coaches

When the heating works and the lighting is working and steam isn't pouring out the side they are fine but they have to go this is the 21st century that kind of image is not acceptable, these coaches where hauled by steam engines in revenue earning servce in the 1960's

They are 43 years old, they fail to meet modern safety standards and are Victorian looking in some respects. Good riddance

As of today Ballina Manaulla Junc, Ballina Dublin (Friday/Sunday), 17:10 Dublin Athlone (Fridays only)

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 17-02-2006 at 20:20.
Unread 23-02-2006, 16:27   #7
kilman
Regular Poster

17:10 to Athlone is cravens every day not just fridays
kilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-02-2006, 16:40   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its meant to be a MK2 set, all cravens coaches will be gone by 28th Feb, with the possible exception of the Manaulla Junc Ballina service, a rebuilt railcar will require commissioning before it can take over
Unread 24-02-2006, 11:21   #9
kilman
Regular Poster

Mark,
I could be wrong.
I assumed that mark 2 had automatic doors. The train still has manual doors but it doesn't have the Craven's plaque on the step in to each carriage. I think it mentions BR.
kilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2006, 11:25   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilman
Mark,
I could be wrong.
I assumed that mark 2 had automatic doors. The train still has manual doors but it doesn't have the Craven's plaque on the step in to each carriage. I think it mentions BR.
Even the UK MK3s don't have automatic doors, it was CIE who introduced them

That be a Mk2d, the doors are an awful lot wider (and heavier) and the handles are always in the same place, some cravens doors open the wrong way, its got sealed windows and AC

It ain't much of an improvement really but the lights and heating tend to work, the PA is better and there is no steam pouring out of the side of it. Some would claim the old cravens had a nicer interior, it was a lot brighter but the suspension is a bit giddy

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 24-02-2006 at 11:30.
Unread 04-03-2006, 23:33   #11
Derek Wheeler

Right, enough talk of Cravens. Back to basics.

Tonight, Saturday 4th March, I arrived in Heuston for the 21.45 Kildare service(sat only).
Departure board said it was departing from Platform 3. So I wait beside the entrance to P3. The display board above the platform entrance was blank. In fact they were all blank, eventhough a Galway and Westport were due in.
Galway train was 13 mins late and pulled into P3! (21.38) Manual announcement made to apologise. At 21.40, the "auto announcer" kicks in to say that the train on platform 8! is the 21.45 to Kildare. Main departure board still listed it as P3. So I make the quick dash down to 8 along with other people and board train with 2 mins to spare, eventhough I was sitting in Heuston since 21.00.

Platforms 2,and 4 were empty, but the Kildare train was at 8, half way to Kilmainham!

This has happened before, mainly during rush hour and it will be announced. But theres no excuse at that time of night.

Furthermore, I travelled both ways today without a ticket. Im not a fare evader, because, you can't buy a ticket in Sallins at 13.20 on Saturdays and there were no staff on board to sell/check tickets on the 13.24 to Heuston. On the return journey, all of the ticket vending machines in Heuston rejected my €1 coin as I tried to pay the €6 fare and there was no ticket check at the platform or on board the train. This is avery common occurence off peak.

But Im €8 richer. Thanks IE!
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote