Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-07-2007, 08:36   #1
2Funki4Wheelz

Default Dogs on Trains

I've heard all sorts on this, and another facet added this morning as I talked to a fellow commuter in Port this morning.

Are dogs allowed on trains, and if so, in what capacity?

Iarnrod Eireann website (not the irishrail one, it re-directs you) simply says:
Quote:
Q. Can pets travel on the train?
A. Pets (with the exception of Guide dogs) are not allowed onto the DART or Suburban rail trains. They are allowed on Intercity trains.
http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/home/faq.asp?faq_id=38#38

The girl I spoke to this morning was told by one the station staff - really only small dogs are allowed be on the train, that can sit on your lap. Or you can put them in the guard's carriage (How kind). Nothing about intercity or otherwise.

I overheard a guy on the Luas with a black lab that he goes up and down to Cork with regularly and he has to buy a ticket for the dog. (something like the bike ticket? harsh, if true)

And from personal experience, most people think they're not allowed full stop.
I had all 3 of mine on the train in March and no one said a thing to us. They were better behaved than most people's children and took up less space than most holidaying ladies' 2 giant pink floral suitcases that are usually left on seats/in the aisle/in front of the doors. [/mini-rant]

With the Bakers Dog's Day out on this weekend I thought it would be handy to know the actual answer (IE could've run a doggy special )