Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-05-2014, 13:27   #1
haddockman
Regular Poster

Default Train didn't fully make the platform, door opened to nothing

I was on a train yesterday, a 7 car 22K set and the last door did not make the platform and opened to nothing.

Does this need to be reported to anyone?
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2014, 13:40   #2
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Which service and which station?

I would answer "yes" to your question re: reporting. I would consider that a hazard as a distracted person in a crowded train might chance backing out the door.

The RSC advise to contact IE in the first instance and them if there is a failure to respond.
http://www.rsc.ie/about/charter.html

IE have a "customer feedback form" http://www.irishrail.ie/contact-us/c...ervice-section but that does not provide a record in the way an email does. Maybe an RUI committee member knows if there is a "safety@irishrail.ie" type address that could be written to?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2014, 13:50   #3
haddockman
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Which service and which station?
I would rather not say for the moment.

IE staff were aware of the incident as it caused the train to be delayed while passengers exited via a different door.
Unread 15-05-2014, 14:25   #4
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
I would rather not say for the moment.

IE staff were aware of the incident as it caused the train to be delayed while passengers exited via a different door.
If IE were aware of it then I'ms sure they will take steps for it not to happen again. Do 7 coach service regularly operate at the station in question?

Quote:
IE have a "customer feedback form" http://www.irishrail.ie/contact-us/c...ervice-section but that does not provide a record in the way an email does. Maybe an RUI committee member knows if there is a "safety@irishrail.ie" type address that could be written to?
This does provide a record, you will receive an automated email and you message sent will be at the end of the email.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2014, 14:40   #5
haddockman
Regular Poster

Sorry, I have no faith in IE learning from this.

I would prefer to report this to someone outside of IE.
Unread 15-05-2014, 15:15   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Don't bother with Irish Rail you will get the usual it didn't happen routine.

Contact info@rsc.ie with the details

Do so as soon as possible to ensure the train data recorder can be recovered to figure out what happened.

I was involved in s similar issue a while back, which Irish Rail denied when the RSC asked, then blamed the driver, when I showed that the published platform length was 12 m shorter than the train, the district manager got into trouble.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2014, 16:52   #7
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Would 100% agree with Mark on this - the RSC is who you need to contact, and promptly.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2014, 21:46   #8
Jamie2k9

Mark, just curious why the District manager when surly it's operations and fleet management who roster sets and know the limits on lines etc. I don;t see how the district manager could of prevented?

Amazing how 6 years can change a railway and how this wouldn't of being a problem before.
Unread 16-05-2014, 09:21   #9
James Howard

It wasn't so much of a problem when you were opening the doors by leaning out the window and turning the handle. It was kind of hard not to notice that you aren't at a platform. Now that it is just a matter of pressing a button and you could easily step out without looking so it is actually quite dangerous to not stop at a platform. It is much better as it is now. There used to be a death every couple of years from somebody falling out of a manually operated door.

Could you at least say what line the train was on if you'd rather not say which station. I find it hard to believe that they scheduled a train that wouldn't fit a platform and it would be much more likely that it was driver oversight and stopping a bit too early. I've seen a 22K stop with the last door on the ramp part of the platform at Edgeworthstown once or twice and there isn't a hell of a lot of leeway on some of the Sligo line platforms so I would think it can be a bit tricky to judge.

Why can't they paint stop-lines for various lengths of 22K on fences or walls? It wouldn't cost anything much to speak of and in addition to improving safety it would result in an improved passenger experience by helping drivers judge where to stop shorter trains to avoid long walks which can be very difficult for elderly or disabled passengers.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-05-2014, 09:29   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Mark, just curious why the District manager when surly it's operations and fleet management who roster sets and know the limits on lines etc. I don;t see how the district manager could of prevented?

Amazing how 6 years can change a railway and how this wouldn't of being a problem before.
We haven't had a passenger fall from train fatality since the rules came in which more than justifies the rules and its enforcement

1. District manager arranged a longer train
2. District manager was present on the train when the incident occurred
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-05-2014, 11:45   #11
Jamie2k9

I wasn't for a minute implying that this isn't a big deal or that it fine, was just talking about the contrast in such a short period of time.

Quote:
Could you at least say what line the train was on if you'd rather not say which station. I find it hard to believe that they scheduled a train that wouldn't fit a platform and it would be much more likely that it was driver oversight and stopping a bit too early. I've seen a 22K stop with the last door on the ramp part of the platform at Edgeworthstown once or twice and there isn't a hell of a lot of leeway on some of the Sligo line platforms so I would think it can be a bit tricky to judge.

Why can't they paint stop-lines for various lengths of 22K on fences or walls? It wouldn't cost anything much to speak of and in addition to improving safety it would result in an improved passenger experience by helping drivers judge where to stop shorter trains to avoid long walks which can be very difficult for elderly or disabled passengers.
It shouldn't be tricky to judge for the driver, the 22's have lots of cameras and checking the back facing one to see if the train reached the platform should be priority if un sure provided its possible to do so?

All stations can manage a 7 coach on at least one platform except the branch lines and Waterford line (Kilkenny).

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 16-05-2014 at 11:49.
Unread 17-05-2014, 03:55   #12
dowlingm

The network was basically optimised for 6 and 3 car 22K sets and is now dealing with 4 and 7. Rules is rules though and shouldn't have happened
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote