Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-11-2010, 10:18   #1
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Default New Train Service from Newry

I don't have full details yet and Translink confirmed that details will be published both on their website and in Newry Train Station in the coming weeks.

From December 13th 2010.
Depart Newry @ 06:50
Arrive in Dublin Connolly @ 08:31

Presumably this is an extension of the 07:10 from Dundalk to now start in Newry - I cant confirm this however as Translink have not given me any more details than the times above.
irishsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:44   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a long term aspiration to provide a 6 coach ICR service from north of the border starting in late 2011. Calling limited stops to Dublin. This was affirmed at a recent North/South meeting http://www.northsouthministerialcoun...tober_2010.htm this is entirely dependent on the delivery of new trains in 2011

Two cross border meetings took place this year with the approval of the North/South Ministerial body where the inability to reach both Belfast and Dublin by rail before 9am was highlighted as a serious restriction to cross border business. RUI was represented at both meetings

Irish Rail do not have any rolling stock approved to operate north of the border bar the Enterprise sets. The 29k fleet cannot legally operate in Northern Ireland due to a lack of AWS/TPWS equipment, Newry station is fitted with both

The 7:10 Dundalk Bray is already overcrowded, routinely delayed and unsuitable for a 70 mile journey. If this happens we will be complaining. There are much higher priorities which need addressing and most of all no change should make matters worse

Irish Rail have indicated there will be NO timetable change in December 2010 and the usual planning process did not happen over the Summer.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 04-11-2010 at 10:47.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:02   #3
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The 7:10 Dundalk Bray is already overcrowded, routinely delayed and unsuitable for a 70 mile journey. If this happens we will be complaining. There are much higher priorities which need addressing and most of all no change should make matters worse
I will be countering your complaint - we badly need a service from Newry arriving in Dublin before 9am. If this is the available solution at present, then so be it and I get the 07:10 from Dundalk on many occasions, which requires my own transport from Newry. This train is not overcrowded as you state. It peaks with passenger numebrs maybe from Rush and Lusk but is by no means over-crowded. Routinely delay yes, but almost all services from Dundalk are at present.
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:36   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The understanding we had was extra services using suitable trains and that is in directly alignment with the submission made to the North/South body and the response from both Translink and IE. This is the usual half arsed Irish Rail solution which makes life worse.

Overcrowding is a serious problem, grand if you have a seat, horrible otherwise. Irish Rail did cut the 7:10 to 6 coaches for a few days recently.

The Newry Dundalk section is notorious for wheelslip and as I've pointed out numerous times there are no trains of any type currently approved to operate in NI so how exactly this will occur is anyones guess, after all Irish Rail's statement clearly says they waiting on extra trains to become available some of which are fully equipped for Northern Ireland.
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:00   #5
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
The understanding we had was extra services using suitable trains and that is in directly alignment with the submission made to the North/South body and the response from both Translink and IE. This is the usual half arsed Irish Rail solution which makes life worse.

Overcrowding is a serious problem, grand if you have a seat, horrible otherwise. Irish Rail did cut the 7:10 to 6 coaches for a few days recently.

The Newry Dundalk section is notorious for wheelslip and as I've pointed out numerous times there are no trains of any type currently approved to operate in NI so how exactly this will occur is anyones guess, after all Irish Rail's statement clearly says they waiting on extra trains to become available some of which are fully equipped for Northern Ireland.
I agree about not having a seat but not having a seat can't be classed as overcrowding? On intercity services, its shambolic but commuter and DART, it has to be expected. I remember when people were standing from Laytown on the 07:10, I have not seen that since before the Malahide incident now - regarding the 6 coaches, I have not been on the 07:10 this week.

Maybe it is a half arsed solution but I would say the majority of the Newry users of a new 06:50 service are the ones you will find that go to Dundalk for the 07:10 anyway, I don't think passenger numbers from Newry will increase the passenger count on this service but will reduce the number of car park spaces being used in Dundalk.

But this 07:10 from Dundalk may not be extended to Newry - all I know is there is a 06:50 starting in Newry from December 13th. Maybe one of NI's C3Ks which leaves Newry around 07:30 is going to do a Newry - Dundalk service before returning to Newry for the Newry Belfast service @ 07:30, meaning a change at Dundalk for the 07:10 Dundalk to Bray?
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:24   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Irish Rail have indicated ownership of the service. True a C3K could be used which would resolve many practical matters. It would require a 6 piece set with two drivers and two conductors on the 6:20 from Portadown, split at Newry. NIR has suspended all 6 coach operations recently due shortage of trains.

That said having to change trains is again was not what was proposed, direct Belfast Dublin arriving 8:30-8:40

The information tends to suggest a one way service with no corresponding Dundalk Newry leg

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 04-11-2010 at 12:28.
Unread 04-11-2010, 13:10   #7
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Irish Rail have indicated there will be NO timetable change in December 2010
There should be )
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 14:36   #8
chris
Regular Poster

It's worth pointing out that a 06:50 from Newry would allow passengers to connect from the 06:20 Portadown-Newry service, but would not actually help Belfast-Dublin commuters
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 15:35   #9
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
It's worth pointing out that a 06:50 from Newry would allow passengers to connect from the 06:20 Portadown-Newry service, but would not actually help Belfast-Dublin commuters
The information provided to me does not state Newry as the start point, only referring to 06:50 from Newry. Information in email from May Orr, Cross Border Customer Services in NIR. Incidently, the email initially related to a completely different issue regarding the cancelled 06:50 from Belfast at Portadown on the 18th Oct but she decided to add information regarding this new service as I a long with many other Newry commuters have continually complained at the fact that NIR does not cater for frontier workers. On this note, does anyone know who to complain to if you are not satisfied with NIR's response, Department for Regional Development?
Unread 04-11-2010, 15:53   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You must appeal first to the Rail Services General Manager, Central Station

If still unhappy

The Consumer Council
Elizabeth House 116 Holywood Road Belfast BT4 1NY
Complaints line: 0845 601 6022 Fax: 028 9065 7701 complaints@consumercouncil.org.uk www.consumercouncil.org.uk
Unread 04-11-2010, 16:00   #11
irishsaint
Regular Poster

Quote:
You must appeal first to the Rail Services General Manager, Central Station

If still unhappy

The Consumer Council
Elizabeth House 116 Holywood Road Belfast BT4 1NY
Complaints line: 0845 601 6022 Fax: 028 9065 7701 complaints@consumercouncil.org.uk www.consumercouncil.org.uk
General Manager - Mal McGreevy?
Unread 04-11-2010, 16:06   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsaint View Post
General Manager - Mal McGreevy?
Yes

General Manager of Rail Services
Mr Mal McGreevy
Central Station Belfast
BT3 9BG
Phone: 028 9089 9400

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 04-11-2010 at 16:10.
Unread 04-11-2010, 17:54   #13
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

Within translink staff circles it has been know for some weeks that there are plans to start the 0713 ex Dundalk from Newry at 0655 and extend the 1713 ex Pearse to Newry in the evening although not finally confirmed

A 29K can operate without translink safety equipment with 2 staff in the cab and I believe they are limited to 40mph on translink

On a related matter why did IE go to the expense of having the first six ICR fitted to run on translink when they have never been tested there in order to do so?

Last edited by Mickey H : 04-11-2010 at 17:55. Reason: spelling mistake
Mickey H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 20:00   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 17:13 is the busiest on the Northern Line, was the very first 8 coach train ever, thats going to be fun and slow.

There is a problem, you can only use the Belfast bound platform to start/terminate a train at Newry, so how do they cope with both a C3K and a 29K at the same time?

The 6 ICR sets are not used cross border as they are used elsewhere. The formal plan is to use them once the 51 coaches are delivered next year as indicated by Irish Rail to the North/South body.

I very much doubt Irish Rail have an exemption from the TPWS rules, after all steam trains are being fitted at great expense. If they do it will be the first such exemption

All we want is train from Belfast getting to Dublin before 8:40am, once again Irish Rail fail to deliver
Unread 05-11-2010, 13:53   #15
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

"you can only use the Belfast bound platform to start/terminate a train at Newry, so how do they cope with both a C3K and a 29K at the same time?"

Run the 29 empty to Poyntzpass and reverse using the crossover there. Poyntzpass is fully signalled for such a move
Unread 07-11-2010, 17:17   #16
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Is this proposed service going to be designated as Enterprise? If so how does this fit with the NIR/IE 50/50 arrangement?

Probably better to re-form 4 sets of DDs (as originally intended I think?) and run Belfast-Newry express and on from there. At least we know 201s and DD-DVTs are "known good" for that run.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 13:40   #17
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

Translink have just released the revised cross border timetable valid from December 13th and there is NO evening service Dublin to Newry

http://www.translink.co.uk/Documents...e%20131210.pdf
Unread 12-11-2010, 13:46   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I'll have an answer to the legal issue of the 29k in NI by December 3rd. Isn't FOI great.
Unread 13-11-2010, 17:53   #19
EnterpriseUser

It is a shame the service does not originate in Belfast at 0545 and give an arrival in Dublin at 0831: even with a change at Newry this would be valuable as the 0650 ex Belfast is rarely, if ever, on time!
EnterpriseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-11-2010, 12:21   #20
irishsaint
Regular Poster

now for me, only issue left is ticketing, it would be a waste to have to leave the Train at Connolly, Tara or Pearse to get an onward DART ticket considering this train will service stations to Bray. I use GCD. NIR tickets obviously dont work in the ticket gates, but surely there is something NIR and IR can do, perhaps have a staff member from Dundalk with a ticketing machine on board from Newry to Dundalk or something like that. But then we would be hit with IR prices and not NIR prices. Newry to Dublin monthly NIR is £216, same route with IR is €318 - £50 difference, its socking from IR because the next station on the route, Dundalk is €259 per month.