Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-05-2007, 20:09   #1
andyl222
Regular Poster

Default early trains...

I've noticed in the last 2 weeks that alot of trains are leaving stations early... from Connolly only yesterday the 6.05 left at 6.00 on the dot leaving many passengers stranded on the platform, and in Maynooth theres been several incidences of trains leaving 5 or 6 minutes early... what is going on??? has anyone else noticed this?
andyl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 01:32   #2
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl222 View Post
I've noticed in the last 2 weeks that alot of trains are leaving stations early... from Connolly only yesterday the 6.05 left at 6.00 on the dot leaving many passengers stranded on the platform, and in Maynooth theres been several incidences of trains leaving 5 or 6 minutes early... what is going on??? has anyone else noticed this?
There's been a couple of times that I've been sure a train has left early, but never by more than more than a minute. However, missing a train always colours your judgement of the exact time, and I can't be certain my own timepiece hasn't been a little slow.

The fact that Drogheda station still doesn't have a digital clock doesn't help.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 03:10   #3
andyl222
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcarpark View Post
There's been a couple of times that I've been sure a train has left early, but never by more than more than a minute. However, missing a train always colours your judgement of the exact time, and I can't be certain my own timepiece hasn't been a little slow.

The fact that Drogheda station still doesn't have a digital clock doesn't help.

yeah i know what you mean bout missing the train colouring your judgement of time, but I was on the train the other day when it left, it was 5 minutes early leaving and a lot of people were about to board when it left, was bizarre.
andyl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 08:30   #4
CSL

ah,. it depends on whose clock you are using.

did you know timezones came from railways ?
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 09:55   #5
2Funki4Wheelz

well there's no clock in Portarlington so it's very hard to judge whether a train is late/early etc. Should all stations not have a synchronised clock?

Last edited by 2Funki4Wheelz : 02-05-2007 at 10:40. Reason: snychronised - appalling.
2Funki4Wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 10:06   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well I have news the old digital clocks in Heuston disappeared a few months ago, only a year or so after I pointed out the fact they where not synchronised.

Digital clocks are coming, all stations Cork Dublin are supposed to get DART style information displays

There is a digital clock on the radio in the cab, so the driver has a clock, The internal timetable issued to staff goes to half minute resolution which doesn't help. There seems to be significant varience between the published timetable and the online one when it comes to arrive and departure times
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 13:49   #7
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
all stations Cork Dublin are supposed to get DART style information displays
Like the displays in Clonsilla or like the displays on the northern line ??

i.e. working or not working.

these guy should be good
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 14:15   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Clock sychronisation is trivial, the displays seem to be run off a standard computer and the one in Pearse is spot on to the second against the ntp time on my computer, I just checked. Every staffed station on the network is hooked up (or will be) to the internal IE computer network.

Displays if installed between Dublin and Cork will work just fine, the ones in Adamstown do seem to work

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 02-05-2007 at 14:17.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote