Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-12-2006, 19:55   #1
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Default Rail & Sail

The Stenaline website says that it is possible says that it is possible to book a sail and rail ticket from Dublin to Glasgow.

However, when you contact the booking office at the number on your website they that it was not possible despite this message on their site:

'Fares apply from Dublin (Connolly Station) to any station within the zone listed. Stations shown in the price grids are a small sample of the destinations available - please call us for more details.'

http://www.stenaline.ie/stena_line/s...b/by_rail.html

False advertising?
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 21:17   #2
zag
Regular Poster

Default I'm confused

Which bit can you not book ? I booked a sail & rail ticket to North Wales a few weeks ago. The ticket (or the receipt) was pretty clearly marked as being to 'zone a' or whichever zone it was.

Is it that they say you can't book to Glasgow in particular, or you can't book on the date you want to travel ?

I just looked at the link and I see it is for Larne-Stranraer sailings and so is different than the ticket I had booked, but the principle is the same.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 21:44   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

London Dublin via Dun Laoghaire works I know that, and its cheap
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 22:15   #4
packetswitch

It is possible. In fact, there are three different ways to book a ticket Dublin-Glasgow:

(a) via Belfast/Stranraer (quickest)
(b) via Dublin/Holyhead or DL/Holyhead (cheapest)
(c) via Rosslare/Fishguard (not for the faint-hearted, expect about 12 hours on a train or in fact trains...)

Unfortunately it seems as if the most reliable way of getting your hands on a ticket is via the CIE travel office on Abbey St (or by ringing them). They actually issue the tickets with handwritten coupons, which is quaint but embarrassing.

I've done Dublin to various UK points over the last year, never had a problem with tickets. They will sell the return leg too (although prices are on a one-way basis). IF you're in the UK and trying to buy a ticket, most reasonably well-staffed station offices can issue the ticket (there's a full section in the National Fares Manual over there dealing with ship/rail tickets of various types).

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm has lots of information on your options (although from a UK perspective, so London-Dublin times come before Dublin-London, don't get caught by that!). I contributed a little bit of this page, but the site admin is a serious mine of information on international rail travel (whether leisure or business).

Apparently you can also buy the sail/rail tickets at the port, if you're starting with a ferry (i.e. Dublin Port-Holyhead-London), but I've never tried it.

Finally remember that the pricing is by zone (on both sides), so sometimes if you have time you can really get a nice trip out of it (i.e. the one-way via Holyhead ranges between €30 and €39 during the winter, but that €39 would get you as far as Inverness or Aberdeen if you wanted it, as everything beyond a certain point is all in the one, huge zone.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 22:52   #5
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Stenaline won't allow you to travel by rail from Dublin to Belfast on the Sail & Rail ticket, despite the sample timetable at that link.

I got a Sail and rail last sat but only from Belfast onwards to Glasgow.

They wouldn't allow it to start from Connolly as advertised.

I bought a normal ticket for the Drogheda - Belfast stretch.

Holyhead to Glasgow by train is 7hrs btw, with 3 changes and a longer crossing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetswitch View Post
Unfortunately it seems as if the most reliable way of getting your hands on a ticket is via the CIE travel office on Abbey St (or by ringing them).
Cheers - will check them out..

Last edited by Navan Junction : 11-12-2006 at 22:55.
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 23:02   #6
packetswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navan Junction View Post
Stenaline won't allow you to travel by rail from Dublin to Belfast on the Sail & Rail ticket, despite the sample timetable at that link.
Hmm, next time try IÉ, it's definitely possible...

Quote:
I got a Sail and rail last sat but only from Belfast onwards to Glasgow.

They wouldn't allow it to start from Connolly as advertised.
If you (or anyone) has an issue with this in the future, point to the UK National Fares Manual, supplementary section D on Shipping Links. http://www.atoc.org/retail/_download...RLsectionD.pdf . The relevant fares are on page D27. Stena act as agents for the National Rail system or for IÉ as appropriate so they are just not reading their books correctly.

(Yes I know these are UK fares but the IÉ practice is just to follow them and use the agreed Euro amounts)

Quote:
Holyhead to Glasgow by train is 7hrs btw, with 3 changes and a longer crossing time.
Yup, but if you're broke and not in a hurry, it's fun and at best, it's 5h30 and just a change at Crewe, plus 1h45 for a fast ferry.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-08-2007, 23:38   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

But at least in the UK the train would actually

1. Travel at a sustained speed in excess of 100mph, best enterprise can manage is 90mph, Cork well 100mph if lucky

2. It would be on time, enterprise is notorious for delays. It got to a point where there are three different timetables all valid with different times. Cork the timetable is so padded god only knows when you actually arrive.

3. UK staff understand customer service, Irish Rail staff in the majority don't care. Funny isn't that 3 of the 4 managers at the senior operational level are from where? They are all ex BR men

Irish fares in the majority are not comparable in service level terms

Upside well at least IE buy decent hardware our Mk4 may be shaky but its so much better than the rather horrible Pendolino and the new intercity railcars will make the voyagers look quite poor.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 26-08-2007 at 23:42.
Unread 26-08-2007, 23:57   #8
91101_GNER
New to the board

I don't know if its because I know the UK "system" inside and out, from tickets and fares, discount rates (everything from Young Persons Railcards, Family Railcards, to Staff Privildege "Priv" cards) to how the industry is structured as a business, and as a proposition to passengers.

My railway interest is in the business and operational aspects rather than rolling stock and traction.

One thing that immediately comes to mind which is a sharp contrast is that of clarity of information, I book a ticket in the UK, and I can find out all of the restrictions and conditions that apply to that ticket. When I did it on IE's website, it had general conditions of carriage, but there wasn't a lot else that was clear.

Our journey planner, which ATOC run at www.nationalrail.co.uk is more seamless than IE's website, and there is a greater degree on information abotu the onboard catering offer than I've found on IE's website thus far.

IE don't seem to be on a relentlesss push to force their passengers into advance purchase tickets, and fares are much more affordable. For me to go to London from Newcastle it's £200 return for an open (well for me its acoutally about £50, but the average Joe on the street its over £200).

We also have 24hour train information, live with a real person through 08457484950. It's not perfect but its a very, very good service.
91101_GNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-08-2007, 07:58   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Rail and Sail are sold under the international CIV rules so the IE terms and conditions don't actually apply

The rule book is hidden from public view lest the public use it to their advantage http://www.platform11.org/resources/...riage_2004.pdf
Unread 27-08-2007, 09:51   #10
Ronald Binge

I'm well familiar with CIE's interpretation of the Sail Rail rules. Since the early 1980s I've travelled most years from Dublin to London via Dun Laoghaire and Holyhead, and like the paper coupon tickets nothing has really changed regarding ticketing.

CIE in Middle Abbey Street will not sell you a through ticket from Dublin to London, simply from Dun Laoghaire to London.

I've argued the point with them that you can buy tickets in London Euston through to Dublin valid on the DART but to no avail. Instead, prior to my becoming an annual rail and Luas commuter they sold me a day rambler instead.

A bit mad.
Ronald Binge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-04-2009, 11:33   #11
ThomasJ

Hi folks, sorry to drag this thread back up but I am attending a football match in wembley on sunday and am travelling from London Euston back to Dublin Ferryport via crewe and the 02:40 Irish ferries sailing,

Has anyone any suggestions?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-04-2009, 11:09   #12
Traincustomer

Default suggested times

According to Irish Ferries current (2009) SailRail leaflet (available from them and travel agents or as a PDF on their website) the times are Depart London Euston 2010 and change at Chester (depart there 2256) arriving Caergybi(Holyhead) 0111. This is marked as the connecting train for the 0240 Cruise Ferry departure. This sailing is usually highly reliable as it's operated by the MV Ulysses. Have a good trip.
PS: I suggest checking these times with www.nationalrail.co.uk in case of any engineering work/bus transfers on any part of the route. Or e-mail Irish Ferries at sailrail@irishferries.com
You probably know there's a Dublin Bus service which meets the ferry. Fare €2.50. All the best
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-04-2010, 12:43   #13
ThomasJ

irish rail have now posted a news item highlighting the various uk and european rail options.
Unread 21-05-2010, 18:59   #14
ccos

Question

Can rail and sail tickets be booked from Europe to Ireland, either direct or via the Uk?
Any links would be appreciated.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-05-2010, 19:27   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Rail Sail applies only to UK-Ireland via either of the 3 crossing points with either Irish Ferries or Stena Line

Norfolk Line and others are not part of the Rail/Sail arrangement

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 21-05-2010 at 19:35.
Unread 22-05-2010, 14:43   #16
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccos View Post
Can rail and sail tickets be booked from Europe to Ireland, either direct or via the Uk?
Any links would be appreciated.
Unfortunately not (afaik) the only one i am aware of is the stenaline harrich to hook of holland service and still you would require two seperate itineries! (ie amsterdam-london, london-dublin)

With this service you can buy tickets online on the uk stenaline website for sail&rail from any dutch station to london liverpoool street via the harrich-hook of holland ferry crossing
It is a seven and a half hour crossing. You have to pay more if you are taking the night sailings but bear in mind those night fares include a cabin on the sailing.
Still though you would have to buy a sail and rail ticket for london to dublin then at a london station!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 22-05-2010 at 14:45.
Unread 22-05-2010, 18:12   #17
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
harrich
Harwich (pronounced Harrich).
Unread 22-05-2010, 19:38   #18
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

There'd be nothing to stop you buying a rail and sail from Harwich to Dublin for the same price as a London to Dublin ticket (£30.50). So you just need to get to Harwich. The same would be true once you're at any UK port with a station.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-05-2010, 19:43   #19
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
There'd be nothing to stop you buying a rail and sail from Harwich to Dublin for the same price as a London to Dublin ticket (£30.50). So you just need to get to Harwich. The same would be true once you're at any UK port with a station.
Ah right didnt know you could buy a ticket for dublin-harwich thanks for clearing that up eddie!
Unread 22-05-2010, 19:47   #20
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Harwich (pronounced Harrich).
Damn spellcheck!