Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-08-2011, 19:39   #21
ccos

Kazakhstan is well connected with the Russian rail network which is very easy to travel on and it soon will be accessible using the "Iron Silk route" via Turkey, Georgia and Azerbijan although you need to get a boat across the Bosphorous until 2013 and another one from Baku across the Caspian sea.

I recently did the journey that was talked about earlier for the game against Armenia.
09.00 to 02.30 2 days later on the Istanbul to Kars train, almost made it on time but we got held up on a loop waiting for a derailed wagon to be rescued.
No direct bus from ther to Georgia and I missed the one cross border bus so it took two minibuses, three taxis, an unforgettable Armenian bus full of turf and a 3 km walk to reach Yerevan instead.
A week later I traveled Yereven to Tibilisi, the train had 12 sleeping cars stuffed full of Armenians going to the beach in Georgia.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:11   #22
on the move
Regular Poster

Back to Euro 2012, and our finals draw saw us sent to Gdansk and Poznan in Poland. Poznan is well connected to Warsaw to the East, and from Berlin to the West. As usual, overnight transport back is available but limited. It's 2am before anything moves out of Poznan, 3 hours after our games end.

Gdansk is the most Northern outpost of the championship, and hosts our toughest game against Spain. It's also a night game, and barely leaves half an hour after the final whistle back to Warsaw. Miss it and it's a 5 hour wait until the next one.

Irish fans will base themselves in Krakow, Lodz, Warsaw, and Wroclaw as well as the host cities themselves. There's a lot of interrailing to be done.
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:03   #23
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Does Inter-Rail get suspended for the relevant countries for events like this?
Unread 04-12-2011, 23:28   #24
ccos

Dont bother with Inter-rail tickets on the East side of the old Iron curtain, train fares are still quite cheap there. I would say dont buy anything except in Poland or from the PKP website if they offer such a service.
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2011, 14:02   #25
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Might end up travelling on familiar looking stock if you go to Ukraine!
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-04-2012, 05:57   #26
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Competition

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4571&p=116&n=237
Quote:
Win an InterRail trip for two to Euro 2012!!
16 April 2012

We're offering rail customers a chance to win an amazing trip for two with a difference to see Ireland’s three group games in Euro 2012 this June.

As well as cheering on the Boys in Green, the winners will have the full InterRail experience, travelling overland from Ireland to Poland, and will stay in one of the major fan campsites in Poznan! The prize also includes €1,000 spending money.

The winners will also be guest bloggers during their InterRail and Euro 2012 experience on irishrail.ie bringing the craic and atmosphere of their journey and the Euros themselves back home with daily blog posts.

To be in with a chance to win this fantastic prize, customers are invited to submit a sample blog post to competitions@irishrail.ie covering a journey you’ve taken and/or sporting event you’ve attended.

Entrants can if they wish include links to photos and videos which would support the sample blog post entry, but this is not essential.

We're looking for an engaging and fun writing style that will bring people along on this incredible journey to Euro 2012. All entries should be in by 17.00hrs on Friday 27th April, and Iarnród Éireann will choose the best blogger for this epic adventure!

Full prize details are:
- Tickets for two to Ireland’s three Group games at Euro 2012, versus Croatia, Spain and Italy, courtesy of North Dublin Schoolboys & Schoolgirls League (NDSL).
- Two Global InterRail passes, giving unlimited rail travel for one month across Europe
- Accommodation for two from 8th-19th June at a fan campsite in Poznan
- €1,000 spending money
- Travel insurance

So get blogging and win this epic Euro 2012 trip!

Full competition information, including terms and conditions, are available at irishrail.ie

1. To enter, please submit a sample blog post, together with your name, age, location and contact phone number to competitions@irishrail.ie no later than 17.00hrs on Friday 27th April 2012. Supporting material, such as photographic or video content, while not required should be submitted by means of weblink only.
2. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
3. Applicants must be 18 years of age or over, and must be resident in the Republic of Ireland. Employees of Iarnród Éireann, the CIÉ Group of Companies or the North Dublin Schoolboys & Schoolgirls League, or their affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotion agencies are not eligible, nor are members of these employees' families (defined as parents, children, siblings, spouse and life partners). The person accompanying the winner of this promotion must also meet these criteria.
4. Iarnród Éireann will select the winning entry from all valid entries received by 17.00hrs on April 27th 2012. Iarnród Éireann reserves the right, following the closing date, to request further material from some or all entrants to assist in the selection of the winner. The decision of Iarnród Éireann on all aspects of this promotion is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
5. No alternative award (including a cash alternative for a non-cash award) will be offered.
6. Successful applicants will be notified by Iarnród Éireann by 15th May 2012.
7. The winner and accompanying person must commence travel no later than Wednesday 6th June 2012, and must be available until 19th June 2012 at the earliest, and must travel within provided travel facilities. The winner is required to stay at the accommodation provided. The winner is required to submit to Iarnród Éireann a minimum of one daily blog entry from 8th to 19th June 2012 inclusive. Should the selected winner be unable or unwilling to fulfil these criteria, he or she will forfeit the prize, and Iarnród Éireann will award the prize to another entrant.
8. Applicants agree to participate, without payment, in such publicity relating to this promotion as Iarnród Éireann may reasonably require. Iarnród Éireann may use any information provided in the entry or in subsequent related correspondence for the purpose of such publicity/promotion, including the name of the winner, but excluding other personal data.
9. Nothwithstanding that an applicant has been notified as being successful, if Iarnród Éireann discovers before the commencement of travel that for any reason under these terms and conditions that an applicant should have been ineligible to enter this promotion or if the entry should have been declared invalid, Iarnród Éireann reserves the right to determine that the applicant is disqualified.
10. Iarnród Éireann reserves the right to amend, withdraw or terminate this promotion at any time without prior notice.
Unread 17-04-2012, 16:21   #27
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

There's trouble up north
http://fisherbelfast.com/no-northerners-need-apply/ (note the reply from IE in the comments)

It made the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17741233

and Slugger O'Toole:
http://sluggerotoole.com/2012/04/17/...across-europe/
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-04-2012, 18:50   #28
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Translink do the same, can't even buy a discounted ticket without a UK address
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-04-2012, 09:33   #29
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

urgh, got brain fade half way through the slugger o toole comments section.

here is an example of myself being accused of being partitioist by various SF people (same sort as commentators on that blog) on twitter.

I asked why RTE were leading the radio news with a story that several hundred jobs were being created in Belfast. It would be the same, I suggested, as saying several hundred jobs had been created in Liverpool (actually I think i used birmingham, but Liverpool is closer again). None of those jobs benifet our ecomony (and yes I got taken to task for not including the wee catholics of Belfast as not being "ours"), none of the taxes arising from them come here, they will not reduce our unemployment rate nor raise our employment rate.

This led to a predictable amount of "partitionist" accusations from, as i said, the likes of that on the Slugger O'Toole site. I find this "stick your fingers in your ears and hum loudly" stuff - post GFA and post Referendum on Arts 2&3 and the Governement of Ireland Act - to be annoying. There may or may not be a physical boarder, but there is a politicial and soverign one. Belfast, and Northern Ireland, is still a constituant part of the United Kiingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

No amount of SF/Stickies agenda within the RTE newsroom and at whetever level of RTE deems it important to treat news that happens in a part of the UK as if it was happening in the State of Ireland (interesting legal note - we dont live in the Republic of Ireland, it doesnt actually exist, we live ina State called, in Irish Eire, in English, Ireland) will change this fact, nor being taken to task by them for daring to point out the obvious realiity that exists. Ironic that a SF polititian can, when it suits him, recognise the existance of this state, when most of the time they dont by constantly referring to where I am a citizen of as "the 26 counties" or "the free state", so before picking holes lads, you should start by recognising the legitimacy of the state down here.

Same goes for yonder boarder blogger and "offended of Derry" in relation to this harmless promotion. One thing I have noticed from anything on the net, though, is that once one Shinnerbot comments on an article, within 12 hours dozens more of them will be on-site to back him/her up, not matter how trivial and harmless the original percieved offence was.

Still, beats blowing things up I guess. A favourite historical past-time of the Replican movement in relation to Irish Rail services in northern ireland, and one for which an "RoI" address was not a condition of participation.

Good to have got that rant off me chest.
Unread 19-04-2012, 03:38   #30
on the move
Regular Poster

You would expect such an "amazing trip" to have at least decent accommodation. Not this one though. You get to spend 11 nights on a patch of grass aka "campsite" in rural Poland, and like it or not, you have to take it.

On the plus side you do get €1k spending money, even if you only need half of it.

It's a shame though that IE only recognised that the Euros are on only now. Most fans going to the arsehole of Poland made their travel arrangements months ago.
Unread 19-05-2012, 01:10   #31
on the move
Regular Poster

Extra services have been laid on for the finals. An extra Berlin-Poznan train has been put on at 15:40 local time for the championships, while a direct service to Gdansk serving Berlin is also set to be introduced shortly. The only direct service between the cities leaves Gdansk before 7am local time the day after the Spain game.