Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Galway
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-06-2009, 07:18   #1
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default Kildare/Galway/Kildare

Wed 3rd June travelled Kildare to Galway on the 0910 ex Heuston.
Returned on the 1805.
Was in coach A (Standard class) to Galway.
I and my 3 companions looking forward to a coffee etc. When she/trolly arrived we were told there was no water left - so no coffee.
Asked why she said there were a lot of passengers and when pressed why not get more water?
Reply was to the effect there is another trolly but it is used only for the return trip!
Nice train. Air con superb both ways but no coffee due to lack of hot water!

Do I complain to IE or Rail Gourmet and what are the contact email addresses?

The ticket checker indicated the evening 1805 train would be very busy and recommended we reserve seats.
Went to ticket office in Galway to do same to be told Standard class seats can only be reserved online!
But he could sell me so called 1st class supplement tickets at 12 Euro each. I was glad I did purchase when I saw the queue at 1730.
The incoming train arrived at 1803 - 48 minutes late. We departed Galway 1813.

Incidentally what is it with so called 1st Class/Premier seats?
They are exactly the same as Standard class - i.e. 4 abreast with no extra room.
Looking forward to the 'real experts' on this forum to point me in the right direction with my queries/complaints.
seamus kilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:39   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

You can contact RailGourmet through its website at www.railgourmet.com, although I imagine all you'll be told is that there was an exceptionally high level of demand on that train.

Standard class reservations are only available online, at a cost of €5 single/€8 return (cheaper if you pay by Laser card). However, they can be bought up to half an hour before departure and are collectable within five or ten minutes, so if you can get mobile or kiosk internet access (and as far as I'm aware there are internet kiosks and WiFi in Ceannt station) you can buy them that way.

What you get for your money in first class depends heavily on which train happens to operate your service. Some trains have 2/1 seating, some have power sockets at each seat, some have complimentary tea/coffee/juice/newspapers, some have at-seat meal service, and so on. But outside the Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast services, it's a crapshoot as to what there will actually be on the particular train you're using. It may bear proportion to the cost of the upgrade, which could be €12, €20, €31.50, or €34.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:41   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

And although you didn't mention it, the details for complaints are available at the complaints section of the site.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 13:10   #4
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default Dublin/Galway/Dublin

Many thanks TR.

However in this day and age after spending Billions of Euro on the Rail system it is extraordinary that no tea/coffee is available due to lack of hot water.
Pretty basic stuff really.

I wnt on line to the Rail website and found it cost 6Euro to reserve a standard class seat to/from Galway/Dublin.

Incidentally the Galway/Dublin train was a six unit Rotem.
The train to Galway was 2 x 3unit.

Will keep you posted how I get on.

Seamus
seamus kilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 20:55   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus kilcock View Post
lack of ... water.
But it hasn't rained in ... days - at least days.
Unread 04-06-2009, 21:24   #6
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Justed visited the Rail Gourmet website and I am intrigued by this statement -

Rail Gourmet Ireland
Providing a full logistics and on-board catering service for Iarnród Éireann (Irish rail).

Does this mean IE pay Rail Gourmet to provide the service? A definitive answer would be appreciated please.
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 19:02   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Irish Rail tendered for the provision of catering services, which Rail Gourmet won. As to whether A pays B or B pays A, I don't know.