Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Luas Customer Service Issues > Luas Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-05-2008, 09:50   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Temporary Platform Widening at Abbey St Stop

http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Tem...re_information
Quote:
Temporary Platform Widening at Abbey St Stop.
Luas Red Line services will terminate at Abbey St. from mid-June until early Autumn. This is to facilitate the on-going construction of the Luas Docklands Line. To allow better customer access the Abbey St. platform on the street side will be temporarily widened. Widening the platform will take about 2 weeks. Please use Abbey Street stop as normal.

Thank you for your co-operation.

For further information see www.rpa.ie

Quote:
Temporary Platform Widening at Abbey St. Stop

Luas Red Line services will terminate at Abbey Street Stop from mid-June until early Autumn 2008. This is to facilitate the on-going construction of the Luas Docklands Extension (Line C1).

- Click here to read more on Luas Docklands Line C1.

To allow better customer access during the closure of Busarus and Connolly Stops the Abbey Street Stop platform on the street side will be temporarily widened. These works will start on Tuesday 20th May 2008 and take about two weeks to complete. Ongoing services at Abbey Street Stop will not be affected by these works, please use Abbey Street Stop as normal.

- Click here to read or download the latest Luas Line C1 Construction Update No.11

RPA would like to thank you for your co-operation during these works.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2008, 09:58   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
AMIENS STREET DELTA JUNCTION & ABBEY STREET STOP ENHANCEMENT
One of the major challenges for the project team will be the installation of a new three-way Luas Trackwork system at Amiens Street and Mayor Street. This junction will allow trams coming from Busaras to go to Connolly Stop or to proceed directly towards The Point. It is intended to install the bulk of the new track-work across Amiens Street from late June until the end of August as these are traditionally the periods when traffic volumes are lowest. RPA and the contractors are finalising discussions with the local authorities to agree the traffic management and diversion routes for this area during these works. While these works are being carried out it will be necessary to terminate the Luas Red Line trams at Abbey Street Stop. This change is expected to take place from mid June. Works will be carried out this month and in June at the Abbey Street Stop to increase the passenger capacity of Abbey Street Stop. RPA and Veolia are liaising with Dublin City Council, and affected stakeholders to minimise the disruption to customers.
All a bit excessive at the very least you would imagine they would lay the rails right up to the junction first
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2008, 10:06   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

That would make the programme too dependent on the connection. Other than bridgework, its the single most complicated part of the job and doing it with low traffic in reasonably good weather is a good idea. The alternative would be Christmas-New Years week, but I suspect a week isn't long enough. I imagine a different team does points compared to ordinary trackwork.

The nightmare would be that the line is finished and commissioning and service start would be delayed by this.
Unread 26-05-2008, 10:52   #4
CSL

10 weeks to install a wye and OHLE ? Who's installing them , Methusaleh McSlow & Sons ?

RPA will be on holidays methinks so the travelling public can go hang.

And where'd only a fortnight's notice come from ?

Classic stuff. Let's facilitate the contractors instead of actually doing it quickly over a weekend.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-05-2008, 15:04   #5
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
10 weeks to install a wye and OHLE ? Who's installing them , Methusaleh McSlow & Sons ?

RPA will be on holidays methinks so the travelling public can go hang.

And where'd only a fortnight's notice come from ?

Classic stuff. Let's facilitate the contractors instead of actually doing it quickly over a weekend.
I presume theres a certain amount of utility diversion to be done as well - the line to the Point is only about 2km long but its taking 2 years to do and the place is like a bombsite at the moment.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2008, 02:57   #6
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
10 weeks to install a wye and OHLE ?
Its a Delta, not a 'y'. Much more complicated, but yes, its seems long.
Unread 31-05-2008, 00:42   #7
sean

Would it not be possible to send trams to Busarus and bring them back to Abbey St. with wrong-way running? (Or wrong way running to Busarus and back?) I know there are som crossovers between Busarus and Abbey St.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-05-2008, 01:27   #8
alek smart

Not for the first time do the recommendations of Manuel Mèlis from Madrid (3M) come wafting from the ether
In this case his advice on construction of whatever plan was agreed come`s to mind..
Agree the plan,Contract it and work 24/7/365 UNTIL IT`S COMPLETED.

This is to me the essence of what T21 SHOULD be about,recognizing our Public Transport Emergency status and responding to that challenge as it should be responded to...Pretty Damn Quick !

What we are now seeing is a funeral march in saul approach.

With the admitted defecit now put at €8 Billion it`s becoming clear that at least some of the projects previously considered as ring-fenced are in danger of being wire-cuttered into oblivion.

Until and unless the entire critical-infrastructure concept is treated critically then we are peeing it up again the wall....again.
alek smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 16:31   #9
CSL

As always a pleasure Alex.

I doubt wrong line running would work easily [ signalling all on the wrong side ]

but slap in a crossover outside the door of busaras and we might have something [ crossover and turning might be dodgy though. ]
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-06-2008, 08:40   #10
James Shields

I suspect the problem with running to Busaras is that the overhead electric lines crossing the junction need to be isolated during the construction phase. Wrong line running is no good if you have no power. There's a crossover outside the Abbey theatre, so having one tram between there and Busaras at any time would have seemed reasonable otherwise.

I think closing for so long is crazy, though. I realise it's a big job, but I've walked past a few times and it doesn't look like it's being done with any urgency. I also haven't seen a definitive end date - the ads seemed to just say "Early autumn". I hope that's not like IE's IC DMUs rolling out in Autumn!
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-06-2008, 19:54   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I've been that way a few times over the last week or two. Wrong-way running can't be done on the normal estbound track because it is shared running with traffic under the loopline bridge and I imagine it is as complicated on the other track.

I got on at Abbey Street yesterday - they had two yellow jackets* (not) helping people getting off terminating trams and three orange jackets** making sure people (other than themselves) didn't get run over on the departing trams.

Irish Rail have a notice on the door of the travel centre along the lines of "This is not a Luas office". Why isn't it?

* Incidentally young and female.
** Incidentally older and male.