Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-03-2012, 22:34   #1
Bawner
New to the board

Default Online Fare Queries

I have a couple of questions regarding online bookings on irishrail.

Trying to book fare to Sligo. Some fares are listed as sold out. I presume this means that the online fares are sold out but I could still buy ticket in Connolly.

There are other fares listing the price but with an orange box with a white x which means "No online ticket available / not reservable" What exactly does this mean - the fare is not available at all or you can get the fare at a station? I presume there's a difference between this and the sold out one above.

Irish rail site doesn't seem to shed any light.
Bawner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-03-2012, 22:47   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Hi, welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawner View Post
Trying to book fare to Sligo. Some fares are listed as sold out. I presume this means that the online fares are sold out but I could still buy ticket in Connolly.
It is the internet-reservable allocation has sold out. You should be able to get a ticket at your departure point (your local station, it need not be Connolly, but check if two tickets are cheaper than one). You are not guaranteed a seat, but on off-peak services, that shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
There are other fares listing the price but with an orange box with a white x which means "No online ticket available / not reservable" What exactly does this mean - the fare is not available at all or you can get the fare at a station? I presume there's a difference between this and the sold out one above.
While it literally means what it says, there can be a number of reasons for it.
* Some services on the Sligo line have, to date, been operated with commuter carriages, which can't handle reservations. This is expected to change in the next while, with all services operated by 22000-class trains.
* The train is within 90 minute of departure or has already departed its origin station and you can no longer make a reservation for it.
* Tickets can only be bought up to 28 days in advance.
* The 'sold out' icon is likely to show when the internet-reservable allocation has been sold.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 23-03-2012 at 22:49.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-03-2012, 23:32   #3
Bawner
New to the board

Thanks for that.

Yes the same train each Saturday is marked as not reservable.

So essentially it's the same as the sold out version.

What's distracting is that it's listed as non-reservable but they still list the price. At least with the sold out there is no price listed.
Bawner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2012, 02:07   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I imagine that train is a commuter set for the moment. All the weekday trains seems to be scheduled for intercity trains now.