Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-02-2007, 00:46   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Rugby fans-where is Croker?

Just a quick note to say that Croke Park is the big Grey and Bluish monstrocity off Clonliffe road. Your best bet is to follow the Ireland/Dubs fans who managed to get tickets. However thats probably the last you'll see of them, because they will most likely drink on the northside afterwards, long after you have taken the return trip to a southside hostilery on the hired minibus. But fair play, you're taking steps to reduce your carbon footprint around Croker by not driving the top of the range (as delboy would put it) merc or beamer, while locked out of your brains or lowering yourself to the level of public transport (Dublin Bus style) to the game. Safe driving is very important.

Overall, enjoy and dream of the day that Landsdowne Road is just like Croker. Because thats all that you may do. I believe the Irish Times is setting up a dedicated "Landsdowne in the courts" department.

I'd love to laugh, buts its not very funny due to the chance of truth. (according to Jeremy in Havelock Square)
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 13:52   #2
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Why is it that people are giving the southside in general this image of stupid rich people with an inane fear of the northside?

Common, i went to sandford park and knew a lot of these ross o'caroll kelly types and non of them where that stupid. Ok so one or two of them did make the ocasional comment of the northside being dangerous and that redz niteclub was awful cause it was a "beacon" for northsiders because its on o'connell bridge. But some of them lived on the northside. Hell i used to live in ballenteer, im used to public transport, hell most people i knew where, especially with so many using the luas in my school.

Not only that but i knew that the best place for the cinema was cineworld on parnell street, and that some people are so missinformed on the northside that they call the spire the "spike". But i doubt anyone doesnt know where croker is, its not hard to miss, that and we had to go there for a history trip.

Shame on anyone who think rugby fans are really the thick rich people that everyone makes them out to be.

Last edited by Thomas J Stamp : 12-02-2007 at 00:01. Reason: offensive language
Aphfaneire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2007, 14:26   #3
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphfaneire View Post
Why is it that people are giving the southside in general this image of stupid rich people with an inane fear of the northside?

Common, i went to sandford park and knew a lot of these ross o'caroll kelly types and non of them where that stupid. Ok so one or two of them did make the ocasional comment of the northside being dangerous and that redz niteclub was awfull cause it was a "beacon" for northsiders because its on o'connell bridge. But some of them lived on the northside. Hell i used to live in ballenteer, im used to public transport, hell most people i knew where, especially with so many using the luas in my school.

Not only that but i knew that the best place for the cinema was cineworld on parnell street, and that some people are so missinformed on the northside that they call the spire the "spike". But i doubt anyone doesnt know where croker is, its not hard to miss, that and we had to go there for a history trip.

Shame on anyone who think rugby fans are really the thick rich people that everyone makes them out to be.
I also grew up and went to school on the southside. I call the spire, the spike. I know someone who got alot of "A1"s in his leaving in Blackrock College and still only knows 1 route to drive across the city. There are alot of insular southsiders. It's just the way it is when daddy buys them everything they need in BT. Hey my own sister, who was in a posh southside school took the 16A the wrong way from town a few times

Last edited by Thomas J Stamp : 12-02-2007 at 00:03. Reason: same as above coz it was quoted
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 01:41   #4
Derek Wheeler

I was only joking loike!
Unread 13-02-2007, 00:00   #5
Brian Condron

I've recovered enough from the 78th minute to be able talk about this. Originally I was quite offended when reading your post Derek, but it was funny how accurate it actually was. One of my mates had to give his parents directions! I mean COME ON, I may never have been to Croker before yesterday, but how can you live in this country and not know where it is? You ask an immigrant just off the plane, and they will already be able tell you where it is, and what pub to drink in depending on whether or not the Dubs are playing.
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-02-2007, 09:59   #6
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Condron View Post
and what pub to drink in depending on whether or not the Dubs are playing.
I heard that southside pubs were doing a deal of dinner and a minibus so they wouldn't lose their heavy walleted patrons to northside pubs (although I can't imagine any of them switching locals permanently). I suppose they didn't want a cash injection loike that into the Northside

And Aphfaneire it's da bleedin' Spike righ'? It doesn't deserve an elegant name like the Spire...

Dan & Becs anyone?

(And don't start on me, I'm a Northsider...so I'm possibly dangerous)
Unread 13-02-2007, 13:48   #7
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Condron View Post
You ask an immigrant just off the plane, and they will already be able tell you where it is, and what pub to drink in depending on whether or not the Dubs are playing.
Ah, but were the dubs playing last weekend???
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-02-2007, 19:22   #8
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Im not rich but 7 grand plus to go to school, more than the govt are paying for my college education, means i will call it the spire, when else could some one use such a word, theres spikes everywhere, its unique.

Truth be told i got lost using the 16a once, because ever since the 16 route was made while i live in ballinteer i though both busses came down the road behind my estate. unfortunate for me i didnt know it ended at nutgrove, but i walked up to the 14/48a/116 terminus anyway, lazily though i think i txted for a lift even though it was half the journey i had just walked to get home

I admit, i only know 4 through city routes that are relitivly free flowing to get to the southside, this doesnt include the m50 or n11, which are just fools work, ones a c ones a straight enough line

But also, i only know about 2 or 3 routes on the northside. Drumcondra road, glasnevin avenue to finglas/airport and to some extent that going far enough on the malahide road can get you to a road that meets the end of the m50, i think
Unread 15-02-2007, 09:11   #9
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
theres spikes everywhere, its unique.
Well considering most churches have a 'spire' so it's not really that unique a word if you really feel like using it. What Dublin monument has escaped an affectionate nickname anyway? Consider Spike a term of (ahem) endearment, not a lack of education.
Unread 15-02-2007, 11:05   #10
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

The Syringe.

Sorted.
Unread 15-02-2007, 13:03   #11
louis
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
The Syringe.

Sorted.
I laughed very hard when I heard "Tomb of the Unknown Junkie"
louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-02-2007, 18:03   #12
Oisin88

Quote:
Truth be told i got lost using the 16a once, because ever since the 16 route was made while i live in ballinteer i though both busses came down the road behind my estate. unfortunate for me i didnt know it ended at nutgrove, but i walked up to the 14/48a/116 terminus anyway, lazily though i think i txted for a lift even though it was half the journey i had just walked to get home
My sister's story was that she got the bus into town for something instead of the usual school bus home. She then hopped on a 16/16A intending to get to Terenure and ended up in Santry.

This same sister is a credit to private education when it comes to public transport as well. She knew that any 15 15A 15B 15D 15E or 15F would get her home, so she thought maybe the 15O would as well (O as in "O" not as in zero)

Last edited by Oisin88 : 15-02-2007 at 18:05.
Unread 15-02-2007, 20:55   #13
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
This same sister is a credit to private education when it comes to public transport as well. She knew that any 15 15A 15B 15D 15E or 15F would get her home, so she thought maybe the 15O would as well (O as in "O" not as in zero)
Jayz Oisin, you'd better pray she soesn't read this....!
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-02-2007, 23:39   #14
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Judging from her apparent lack of knoledge of public transport, is a forum on its flaws and short commings really going to be on her reading list?
Unread 15-02-2007, 23:40   #15
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navan Junction View Post
Jayz Oisin, you'd better pray she soesn't read this....!
She knows we slag her all the time about it.
But as you know.... which of my 5 sisters could it be ....
Unread 15-02-2007, 23:42   #16
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
She then hopped on a 16/16A intending to get to Terenure and ended up in Santry.
Quote of the year, by a long shot.

'sfunny how the gist of dereks original post is actually ringing truer and truer....... if you're from the southside, please stop digging now.
Unread 16-02-2007, 19:14   #17
Derek Wheeler

...and to think I got all cowardly and said I was joking.
Unread 16-02-2007, 19:16   #18
Aphfaneire
Regular Poster

Its in my blood to keep digging myself deeper into this, hey if im no good for digging real holes metaphorical ones can do.

Or yeah, 7 grand a year does not gaurentee i can spell
Unread 17-02-2007, 08:47   #19
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin88 View Post
which
Íde?
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2007, 10:58   #20
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navan Junction View Post
Íde?
I'm not going to answer in case you go through all 5, but, no!