Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-04-2007, 00:34   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Gridlock

This is a book about Dublins transport crisis. It has been discussed on this forum before. May I recommend that everyone reads it because it sets out why we have the mess we have and if you think while you read it, then you will easily understand why T21 will not solve it.

Ive posted this here, because Im sick and tired of reading (on other forums) utter crap about why, how and whatever, in relation to Dublins traffic and public transport problems. How anyone in their right mind can come onto an internet forum and lecture to their hearts content about the issue, without any research of the facts is beyond me. I thoroughly recommend this book to all contributors here, who also contribute to other forums. Please read it and then go forth and educate.

PLEASE NOTE: I stand to earn no money from the purchase of this book. It is the work of a very talented author who should get more recognition than he does in relation to Dublin transport. The book is my bible. What a pity politically appointed Transport gurus don't read it. If they did, then they're obviously still suffering from severe mental health problems.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 17:39   #2
Redsoxfan
New to the board

Where is this book sold?
Redsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 20:22   #3
Derek Wheeler

All major book stores or via this link;

http://www.newisland.ie/tasc/gridlock.shtml
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 18:50   #4
alek smart

Definitely second Derek`s views on James Wickham and his highly sensible views on Dublins Traffic and Transport problems.
Prof Wickhams opinions really do need to be popularized in the same manner in which Frank Mc Donald`s are in relation to architecture.

However to do this effectively really will rub a lot of Official Noses deep in the dirt
alek smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 19:15   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Problem is we have a small growing army of people who know whats wrong and have the guts of a solution but alas we aren't in a position to make it happen

I've met the James Wickham as has Derek, hopefully Prof Wickham and his fellow researchers can reach the point of being the transport/society version of Frank McDonald and we all know that Frank is the main man on architecture and development.

Book is a fantastic study of the impact on society of the public transport mess we have

Its on the reading list for anyone interested in this area, we get quite a few inquiries from engineering/transport students seeking advice, this is top of the list along with DRRTS

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 08-04-2007 at 19:17.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 19:28   #6
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

do any dublin bookshops stock this?
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 22:25   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmd View Post
Christ knows.

Anyway, may I tell ye all about another really good book. It's "Is it Me Or Is Everything ****?" by Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur Time Warner Books. Sums up our really crappy post modernist feau plastic crappy everyday clonetown existance.

As a caveat may i say that i disagree with their entry on "funki" due to the presence in our midsts of, erm, Mrs 2funki (shurely "4funki"?) but apart from that they're pretty much spot on.

Anyway, back to rail transport....................
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:43   #8
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Google it - Some Irish organisation stocks it but can't remember which
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 08:10   #9
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
I ordered my copy through my local easons.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-04-2007, 16:13   #10
hhf8
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
Christ knows.

Anyway, may I tell ye all about another really good book. It's "Is it Me Or Is Everything ****?" by Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur Time Warner Books. Sums up our really crappy post modernist feau plastic crappy everyday clonetown existance.

As a caveat may i say that i disagree with their entry on "funki" due to the presence in our midsts of, erm, Mrs 2funki (shurely "4funki"?) but apart from that they're pretty much spot on.

Have that one!,and the second one,in which they run out of things to slag off
Unread 18-04-2007, 16:18   #11
Brian Condron

Speaking of Gridlock, anyone read the book by Ben Elton of the same name? One of his usual comedy novels with a underlying truth, this one being about the futility of cars! Good read.
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-04-2007, 16:21   #12
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
Christ knows.

No '4'funki I'm afraid, 2 is plenty at the moment and on into the distant future
Sounds like a couple of perfect train time reads now I'm back commuting and hating it already.
Unread 18-04-2007, 16:24   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Just avoid the 19:05 tonight as the 19:00 to Cork is in trouble and might have knock on effects...

Being serious its a interesting book, the first really to capture the mess out there.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote