Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-03-2012, 16:12   #1
eain
New to the board

Default Any upgrade to Rosslare - Dublin stock in the works?

Hi,

I am a regular commuter to Dublin from Wexford since Dec of 2010. I think the service is good and have been happy with the punctuality and reliability so far. One thing I would love to see is the upgrade to 22k for all of the services. Could anybody shed any light on this. Is it in the works or am i living a pipe dream.

I know the wireless rollout for the Rosslare/Dublin line was discussed here some time ago and presented a lot of technical difficulties. Is this something that we will ever see on this line. I am happy enough with the coverage of 02 in the ipad and Vodafone on the work iphone. Between them I can work away for a good percentage of the journey but the areas of no or poor reception make it challenging to keep on conference calls etc.

Thanks,
Eain
eain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-03-2012, 17:26   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is a good chance that all Dublin Wexford/Rosslare services will be operated by intercity trains in the very near future

The timetable was changed recently to allow for this, so the 17:36 Connolly Wexford is likely to switch over

WiFi will be in place on all routes by end 2012, however coverage on the Rosslare line will be extremely poor due terrain and the very isolated nature of the line in parts
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-03-2012, 17:27   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eain View Post
I know the wireless rollout for the Rosslare/Dublin line was discussed here some time ago and presented a lot of technical difficulties. Is this something that we will ever see on this line. I am happy enough with the coverage of 02 in the ipad and Vodafone on the work iphone. Between them I can work away for a good percentage of the journey but the areas of no or poor reception make it challenging to keep on conference calls etc.
The signal the train uses piggybacks on the mobile phone network, so while the train has certain advantages over a dongle - bigger aerial, higher up, it can't see through mountains, which is one factors that the Rosslare route suffers from more than others.
Unread 27-03-2012, 17:37   #4
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There is a good chance that all Dublin Wexford/Rosslare services will be operated by intercity trains in the very near future

The timetable was changed recently to allow for this, so the 17:36 Connolly Wexford is likely to switch over

WiFi will be in place on all routes by end 2012, however coverage on the Rosslare line will be extremely poor due terrain and the very isolated nature of the line in parts
Hopefully ALL services to Wexford/Rosslare will be 22k operated very soon. After all, it does state this on the IR website.

Ideally, one or two should be 6 coaches but we all know why that can't happen at present
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-03-2012, 20:43   #5
eain
New to the board

Thanks for the information, and the hope you have given me, especially in regard to the 22k, that would be a massive improvement over the current situation.
Unread 28-03-2012, 12:26   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Is a 3-coach 22000 better than a six-coach 28000?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2012, 12:32   #7
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
Is a 3-coach 22000 better than a six-coach 28000?
Well a six car 2800 would have 40 to 50 more seats and one more toilet - can't think of any other advantages. Personally I would probably prefer to stand on a 22k than sit on a 2800 !
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2012, 13:59   #8
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Does anyone know if using 22033 was seriously discussed? Is it just the notion that people will be disappointed when the "cutback" comes or would Rotem not countenance running it in service as a 5-car consist?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2012, 14:36   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

5 car operation is not safety case, not all the intermediate coaches are the same, two of the four have extra sanding equipment so unless someone is willing to the tests to validated braking performance without a intermediate coach with sanding gear
Unread 29-03-2012, 13:59   #10
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
I get this everyday and the vast majority on it are commuters going to Bray and Greystones and it frequently has a lot of standing passengers. I like the 22000s but if I have to stand for 45 minutes I'd rather do it on a commuter train. It will also take a lot longer to load and unload in the busier stations as people shuffle along the corridors.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 13:47   #11
DangerM
Regular Poster

Quote:

Do you expect the 16:37 to switch over also?
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 13:49   #12
DangerM
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shweeney View Post
I get this everyday and the vast majority on it are commuters going to Bray and Greystones and it frequently has a lot of standing passengers. I like the 22000s but if I have to stand for 45 minutes I'd rather do it on a commuter train. It will also take a lot longer to load and unload in the busier stations as people shuffle along the corridors.
They should get the DART then! For those of us commuting beyond Greystones the comfort on the 22000s is far superior.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:09   #13
eain
New to the board

Had a pleasant surprise this morning when a shiny 22 pulled up at 5:58am into Wexford station.

Does anybody know if this is the permanent upgrade that has been promised or an aberration :-).

Thanks,
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:29   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Nope its called wrong train wrong place after a Bank Holiday

We are in discussions with Irish Rail concerning allocations of trains on this route
Unread 07-08-2012, 13:41   #15
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Nope its called wrong train wrong place after a Bank Holiday

We are in discussions with Irish Rail concerning allocations of trains on this route
That's good news. Keep the pressure on! 22ks for every Wexford service is the goal that must be met.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:49   #16
DangerM
Regular Poster

Also seen 22k's on Rosslare services they aren't normally on, actually worse having them for a day to see them gone again
Unread 21-08-2012, 13:13   #17
eain
New to the board

Thanks for the update Mark. I appreciate the work you are doing.
Unread 21-08-2012, 13:24   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There has been an improvement in allocation in recent weeks

Plus seat reservation system now seems able to survive Rosslare Dublin
Unread 10-09-2012, 18:06   #19
JohnDough
New to the board

Wink

Well was on da 0940 Con-Rosslare last week and da wi- fi was brilliant most of da way ,well done I.E. even better than I get from Eircom anywhere.
JohnDough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 14:02   #20
eain
New to the board

Hi Mark & co, Do you think we will see any upgrade on this route in the near future.

Thanks