Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Limerick
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-07-2008, 10:49   #1
han68
New to the board

Default Daily commute Limerick - Dublin v.v

Hello!

I am thinking to start commute daily between Limerick and Dublin from the first of September. Have used the train before (but only 3-4 times in a 2 year period) and apart from the strike last year where I had to travel back by bus I did not had any major problems. Looking at this forum it does not seem to bad with problems reported only once every 2 months or so. Am I being very optimistic here? Anyone else doing this on a daily basis and having any experience with getting a bus in Dublin onwards?

Thanks,

Han
han68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 12:19   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Hi han68 and welcome to the forum.

There are other members doing this, let me see this evening I can get them to pass on their insight.

It does sound like quite a long journey each day though!

Last edited by Mark Hennessy : 07-07-2008 at 12:23.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 13:36   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There is someone on the forum who does the trip daily, who will be much better to describe the situation

We do know the early train from Limerick is on average 12 minutes late into Heuston. Approx once a month there is major incident of somekind. For instance on June 24th the 5:35 Limerick Dublin was delayed by 50 minutes. On the 6th there was total chaos in the evening. Remember of course if a Cork train is delayed in more than 50% of cases that impacts passengers making a connection at Limerick Junction

The reason you don't see many posts is people have grown to accept the shoddy service, the mayhem in Heuston at 16:45 when the queues for the 17:05 and 17:25 services to Limerick seem to be the same queue is typical, late boarding, late departure. Direct Limerick services have the advantage of being nearly entirely operated by new trains which does improve matters

Onward transport from Heuston is fairly straightforward, the 90/91/92 comes recommended since the bus lane on the quays appeared also a lot more comfortable than the Luas. Remember to get a ticket issued to 'Dublin City Centre' as this is valid on the 90/91/92 and Luas between the city centre and Heuston. If you are serious about doing the commute for a long time you should inquire with your employer to see if you can get a monthly or annual ticket under the taxsaver scheme http://www.taxsaver.ie/ie/tickets.asp save you 20-41%

We cannot recommend such long distance commuting, its a 6 hour round trip Limerick - Dublin - City return
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 11:31   #4
MidlandDeltic
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There is someone on the forum who does the trip daily, who will be much better to describe the situation

We do know the early train from Limerick is on average 12 minutes late into Heuston. Approx once a month there is major incident of somekind. For instance on June 24th the 5:35 Limerick Dublin was delayed by 50 minutes. On the 6th there was total chaos in the evening. Remember of course if a Cork train is delayed in more than 50% of cases that impacts passengers making a connection at Limerick Junction

The reason you don't see many posts is people have grown to accept the shoddy service, the mayhem in Heuston at 16:45 when the queues for the 17:05 and 17:25 services to Limerick seem to be the same queue is typical, late boarding, late departure. Direct Limerick services have the advantage of being nearly entirely operated by new trains which does improve matters

Onward transport from Heuston is fairly straightforward, the 90/91/92 comes recommended since the bus lane on the quays appeared also a lot more comfortable than the Luas. Remember to get a ticket issued to 'Dublin City Centre' as this is valid on the 90/91/92 and Luas between the city centre and Heuston. If you are serious about doing the commute for a long time you should inquire with your employer to see if you can get a monthly or annual ticket under the taxsaver scheme http://www.taxsaver.ie/ie/tickets.asp save you 20-41%

We cannot recommend such long distance commuting, its a 6 hour round trip Limerick - Dublin - City return
THe 0535 ex Limerick may have been that late on average in the old timetable, but since January has been significantly better, with arrivals generally between 0750 and 0755, hard on the heels of the 0630 ex Carlow. Don't use the 1725 often, but when I have caught it it's been 5-10 late off Heuston, but on time by Portlaoise. Queue problems only occur if there is late boarding - last time I got caught was due to a bridge bash, which is hardly IE's fault.

Bus to the city centre is fine - inspectors ensure that buses co-incide with demand. The other way is totally unpredictable in the peak, due to lack of bus lane on south quays at several points - use LUAS from Abbey Street. You will not get on LUAS reliably at Jervis or west thereof. If travelling odd days, don't buy the add-on - walk round to the side and get a normal bus, and avoid the rip-off fare on the 90 etc.

MD
MidlandDeltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 19:00   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlandDeltic View Post
If travelling odd days, don't buy the add-on - walk round to the side and get a normal bus, and avoid the rip-off fare on the 90 etc.
Thats good actually. It used to be that it depended on how far you are travelling - the €1.05 fare (3 stages) would leave you short of O'Connell Bridge - now you can get to Pearse Street / Macken Street.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:42   #6
han68
New to the board

Thanks guys for your advice, I will give it a go for a month and see what happens, not afraid of a bit of adventure I am originally from Holland so I am a bit spoiled as public transport is concerned; however over there you'll see very regular delays as well, so it is not specific to Ireland. (not even starting about the Dutch rudeness )
han68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 17:25   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

We have decent luggage room on our trains too. Although no "quiet carriages" like Nederlandse Spoorwegen.

Welcome btw ;-)
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote