Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 13-11-2013, 19:25   #181
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
So 1 day ramblers will stay valid then?
Until the printed expiry date
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-11-2013, 20:10   #182
haddockman
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
Until the printed expiry date
Great. I must buy a few now.
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-11-2013, 07:48   #183
DundalkStudent
New to the board
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Default Multi operator

The most important thing here is that these are multi operator caps, as in you can travel on all three for max 30 (student) per week so you can mix and match your transport types. The short term obvious benefit here will be for people who are forced to combine two different types because 1 isn't sufficient to go where they need to and they're currently paying through the nose.

Obviously the longer term benefit will be potential new passengers being brought into the public transport net from their cars. If previously, combining two operators was required for where they wanted to go but the costs prohibitive, that barrier will now be removed. This will obviously happen but may take time for the benefits to come through as all marketing initiatives have innovators, early adopters, early majority, etc. and as people make lifestyle decisions based on it: house moves, job moves, etc. It can be a long process but then it's a case of rising tides lifting all boats. Stick with it Transport for Ireland!

I see IE benefitting in numbers but not necessarily in revenue as more people may spring for the train over the bus for longer parts of their journey as it is a more comfortable way to travel and it's all the same cost any way. But if max revenue is capped per each user they may not see a commensurate revenue share bump.

Is there any word on this extending to bus eireann in dublin commuter area? My friend is paying, as a student, 60 a week to go from Clane to Ballyfermot via bus eireann & dublin bus.

I'm sorry but that is highway robbery.

I pay less than that for Dundalk to the dublin south side on IE monthly.

Overall, I think this is brilliant and only 15 years behind NYC. Good on ya Mr Minister Vradkar, implementing all of this in 1 term as minister with all the previous FF wafflers talking the last 20 years and doing nothing!

Last edited by DundalkStudent : 14-11-2013 at 08:12. Reason: Wasn't replying to the latest comment!
DundalkStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-11-2013, 09:01   #184
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The validity on 747 has always been a bit strange to start with
I find it very handy when going to the Airport as I can get a bus from home (67) and continue on to the Airport without having to look for change. I certainly beats a taxi at 45.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-11-2013, 09:59   #185
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundalkStudent View Post
The most important thing here is that these are multi operator caps, as in you can travel on all three for max 30 (student) per week so you can mix and match your transport types. The short term obvious benefit here will be for people who are forced to combine two different types because 1 isn't sufficient to go where they need to and they're currently paying through the nose.

Obviously the longer term benefit will be potential new passengers being brought into the public transport net from their cars. If previously, combining two operators was required for where they wanted to go but the costs prohibitive, that barrier will now be removed. This will obviously happen but may take time for the benefits to come through as all marketing initiatives have innovators, early adopters, early majority, etc. and as people make lifestyle decisions based on it: house moves, job moves, etc. It can be a long process but then it's a case of rising tides lifting all boats. Stick with it Transport for Ireland!

I see IE benefitting in numbers but not necessarily in revenue as more people may spring for the train over the bus for longer parts of their journey as it is a more comfortable way to travel and it's all the same cost any way. But if max revenue is capped per each user they may not see a commensurate revenue share bump.

Is there any word on this extending to bus eireann in dublin commuter area? My friend is paying, as a student, 60 a week to go from Clane to Ballyfermot via bus eireann & dublin bus.

I'm sorry but that is highway robbery.

I pay less than that for Dundalk to the dublin south side on IE monthly.

Overall, I think this is brilliant and only 15 years behind NYC. Good on ya Mr Minister Vradkar, implementing all of this in 1 term as minister with all the previous FF wafflers talking the last 20 years and doing nothing!
I'm not sure Mr Varadkar had anything in particular to do with this.

The tenders/contracts were all signed when the previous government was in power.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-11-2013, 11:00   #186
DundalkStudent
New to the board
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14
Default Minister Vradkar

They first quoted integrated ticketing systems in the 90s. I'm sure they would have found a way to delay the actual implementation/roll out/further development if still in power.
DundalkStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-11-2013, 12:59   #187
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundalkStudent View Post
They first quoted integrated ticketing systems in the 90s. I'm sure they would have found a way to delay the actual implementation/roll out/further development if still in power.
My point is that since the tender was awarded, I don't think that any of the politicians have had much to do with the roll out.

The project is structured as a phased rollout administered by the NTA and that's exactly what we've been getting.

I think you're being a tad generous to the politicians!!
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-11-2013, 00:48   #188
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
I find it very handy when going to the Airport as I can get a bus from home (67) and continue on to the Airport without having to look for change. I certainly beats a taxi at 45.
I don't think they are on Leap yet, but http://www.airporthopper.ie/ might be an option for you.
__________________
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-11-2013, 09:12   #189
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
I don't think they are on Leap yet, but http://www.airporthopper.ie/ might be an option for you.
Thanks for that but I'm a good bit from Maynooth. That service is handy, I've dropped friends over for that service.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-11-2013, 10:27   #190
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 598
Default

Also Bus Eireann can pick up/set down at Maynooth for/from the Airport.

They have 7 services per day direct to the airport from the 67 terminus there.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1378293...in-airport.pdf
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-11-2013, 12:02   #191
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
Also Bus Eireann can pick up/set down at Maynooth for/from the Airport.

They have 7 services per day direct to the airport from the 67 terminus there.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1378293...in-airport.pdf
Thanks I didn't realise that anyone could avail of that Bus Eireann to and from the Airport from Maynooth. You know that Celbridge (where I live) is so difficult to get to and from the Airport, many of other towns (of a similar size/population) have a direct either private or public bus service to the Airport. I would normally use the 1 Day Dublin Bus Rambler Ticket - buy 2 of them - one for the return journey as well. I'll be really stuck if they abolish them and you cannot use the Leap Card on the 747 (Airlink)

Last edited by grainne whale : 15-11-2013 at 12:23.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2013, 02:23   #192
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer
 
Colm Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
Thanks I didn't realise that anyone could avail of that Bus Eireann to and from the Airport from Maynooth. You know that Celbridge (where I live) is so difficult to get to and from the Airport, many of other towns (of a similar size/population) have a direct either private or public bus service to the Airport. I would normally use the 1 Day Dublin Bus Rambler Ticket - buy 2 of them - one for the return journey as well. I'll be really stuck if they abolish them and you cannot use the Leap Card on the 747 (Airlink)
You can use Leap on the 747, just that it will not count to the cap.

As above, I'd suggest some 5 or 30 day Ramblers.

[Edit]Ooops.
__________________

Last edited by Colm Moore : 18-11-2013 at 09:52.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2013, 19:03   #193
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
You can use Leap on the 747, just that not all of it will count to the cap.

As above, I'd suggest some 5 or 30 day Ramblers.
Correction - NONE of the 6 Airlink fare will count to the cap.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-11-2013, 09:00   #194
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
You can use Leap on the 747, just that not all of it will count to the cap.

As above, I'd suggest some 5 or 30 day Ramblers.
Really it's only getting to and from the Airport (holidays) that I would be using it (1 day Rambler). I'll just have to switch to the ordinary Dublin Bus routes that serve the airport and use the Leap Card - I just want to get to the airport the cheapest way possible.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-11-2013, 13:27   #195
jacko
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 137
Default

It makes sense for DB to incorporate the 747 into its 3 and 5 day rambler tickets as it is a major attraction to tourists when choosing their travel options while visiting Dublin
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-11-2013, 14:28   #196
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
It makes sense for DB to incorporate the 747 into its 3 and 5 day rambler tickets as it is a major attraction to tourists when choosing their travel options while visiting Dublin
What the ordinary punter can 'feck off' so.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2013, 12:27   #197
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,860
Default

747 also accepts 30-day rambler tickets which for most people will be 6 weeks as the days don't have to be consecutive.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2013, 12:42   #198
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,659
Default

The issue at hand here is the NTA is cracking down on the grey area between commercial and PSO

Plus Irish Rail and Dublin Bus management are running scared as to the impact of capping on revenues.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2013, 13:30   #199
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The issue at hand here is the NTA is cracking down on the grey area between commercial and PSO

Plus Irish Rail and Dublin Bus management are running scared as to the impact of capping on revenues.
I think we should be all be concerned about the possibilities of revenue falling. It is a legitimate fear, because it then raises a further question on how public transport services are funded.

If revenue does not increase, and with subsidy falling further in 2014 by another 7%, I think RUI and everyone else should be rather concerned about the possible negative impact it may have.

It shouldn't be the case of being rather flippant about it as your post above appears to be, as if to say, "well that's their problem". It's a problem for all of us if it does impact upon the ability to deliver services.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-11-2013, 14:27   #200
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
James Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sligo Line
Posts: 1,113
Default

I think that they have passed the point of being able to increase revenue by increasing prices quite some time ago. I know it's anecdotal but after the increased prices combined with the capacity reconfiguration debacle the traffic appears to be a lot lower on the Sligo & Longford commuter services I am taking.

But they need to look at proper intermodal pricing using the Leap card, particularly with Luas BXD coming. That will open up a huge number of possibilities for Maynooth and Sligo line travellers as journeys like Mullingar to Sandyford become commutable. However people won't do it if ends up costing a whole load of extra money.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:26.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.