Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Nenagh Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-02-2012, 13:03   #121
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Kinda off topic slightly but if i have a problem with the practices of Bus Éireann and the NTA who should I go to and express my concerns?
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2012, 15:12   #122
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

This withdrawal of a commuter service should be of very serious concern to the general commuting population.

I can't imagine there is much danger of it but what if Irish Rail were to pull a similar stunt and for example, move the start of the two early Longford commuter trains to Mullingar.

People depend on the continued existence of commuter services for their livelihoods and it is a bit worrying when Irish Rail can just pull a service on a couple of months' notice.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2012, 15:55   #123
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
People depend on the continued existence of commuter services for their livelihoods and it is a bit worrying when Irish Rail can just pull a service on a couple of months' notice.
Its actually only a few weeks.
Unread 24-02-2012, 19:35   #124
brompton7
New to the board

Quote:
Precisely, it changes everything for some. It was great for me as I could bring my bike and cycle to work. A bike which I had just invested 4 figures in as part of the cycle to work scheme. In addition to shredding my ticket my shiny new bike will now gather dust. Others, have had to change childcare arrangements etc. Make no bones about it. These timetable alterations are more than just a tinkering about, they are a de facto cancellation of the commuter services that the NRP harped on about supporting and a provision of 2 novel services that are practically useless to the Limerick <-> Nenagh commuter market. It's obvious from the 2030 vision document that Irish Rail are only interested in pandering to Dublin oriented traffic ex Nenagh. Nenagh <-> Limerick will now completely die. And they've just done such a nice job of line painting the road entrance to Birdhill station; it's comical.
brompton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2012, 20:47   #125
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

The new timings from Limerick would not prevent Irish Rail running an 1805 from Limerick to Birdhill. Would this cater for the majority of existing commuters ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2012, 21:21   #126
dowlingm

three trains on the branch at once? now we're really stretching.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2012, 21:43   #127
doherty jack
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
The new timings from Limerick would not prevent Irish Rail running an 1805 from Limerick to Birdhill. Would this cater for the majority of existing commuters ?
a POSSIBLE commuter service to run as far as Birdhill in the evening .

limeirck - 18.20 Birdhill-18.55
castleconnel-18.40 castleconnel-19.05
birdhill-18.50 Limerick -19.25

a one car unit excists at in Limercik Shed and often is joined to the back of Galway train(s) but this Railcar could operate this service Monday-Friday -All you need is a driver ,if avaible . . .

Tickets can be checked leaving limerick
&
tickets can be purchased arriving back in limerick for Castleconnel passengers

There is a number using the excisting 17.45 to nenagh plus this service would suit passengers finishing at 6pm .More people use Castleconnle &Birdhill than Nenagh for commuter services also it is easier to a train to bridhill than nenagh (killonan - birdhill ets , birdhill - roscrea ets , roscrea - ballybrophy ets /manual staff)

another thing consided was most employment in limeirick is not in the city centre anymore !its on the urban fringes
doherty jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2012, 21:56   #128
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doherty jack View Post
a one car unit excists at in Limercik Shed and often is joined to the back of Galway train(s) but this Railcar could operate this service Monday-Friday -All you need is a driver ,if avaible . . .
There are two such single 2700-class cars, However, the suggestion is that the entire 2700-class is to be phased out.
Unread 24-02-2012, 22:50   #129
karlr42

Quote:
Originally Posted by brompton7 View Post
Precisely, it changes everything for some. It was great for me as I could bring my bike and cycle to work. A bike which I had just invested 4 figures in as part of the cycle to work scheme. In addition to shredding my ticket my shiny new bike will now gather dust. Others, have had to change childcare arrangements etc. Make no bones about it. These timetable alterations are more than just a tinkering about, they are a de facto cancellation of the commuter services that the NRP harped on about supporting and a provision of 2 novel services that are practically useless to the Limerick <-> Nenagh commuter market. It's obvious from the 2030 vision document that Irish Rail are only interested in pandering to Dublin oriented traffic ex Nenagh. Nenagh <-> Limerick will now completely die. And they've just done such a nice job of line painting the road entrance to Birdhill station; it's comical.
Excellent post, you should write to Alan Kelly and make sure he knows what effects his changes are having.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-02-2012, 23:02   #130
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by doherty jack View Post
another thing consided was most employment in limeirick is not in the city centre anymore !its on the urban fringes
No kidding. I was just google mapping around the Killonan-Lisnagry-Castleconnell area looking at how far the line is from Plassey in that area and came across "Annacotty Business Park", basically a bunch of sheds in a field in the middle of nowhere. Made me want to find a county Planner and punch him in the face.
Unread 27-02-2012, 01:36   #131
Traincustomer

Default Catering on the new through train or not?

This article in the Nenagh Guardian newspaper clearly suggests that there will be catering onboard the new (05.15 ex Limerick to Dublin via Nenagh) through train:

http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-de...article=QQ5XHQ

specifically the paragraph:

It will be a direct train, which means commuters can have a cup of tea or coffee, and prepare for their day in Dublin, whether it’s working, studying or even shopping." (my emphasis)

Yet the IÉ PDF timetable does not indicate any catering facility onboard.

Which is correct?!
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2012, 07:07   #132
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If the timetable says no catering, there is no catering.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2012, 08:00   #133
James Howard

I have a cup of coffee on the train every morning without resorting to the trolley and as a result enjoy a much higher quality beverage.

They mustn't be expecting much traffic because the 0545 from Sligo has a trolley service which does quite well.
Unread 27-02-2012, 08:36   #134
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
I have a cup of coffee on the train every morning without resorting to the trolley and as a result enjoy a much higher quality beverage.

They mustn't be expecting much traffic because the 0545 from Sligo has a trolley service which does quite well.
Indeed.

When I get the train from Cork to Dublin, I make sure to get a coffee at AMT before boarding.

However, I suspect that Nenagh train station doesn't have any coffee outlets.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2012, 09:35   #135
James Howard

Neither does Edgeworthstown - I bring a flask.

Although I do treat myself to a Cafe Maya from AMT in Connolly once a week or so. They are rather delicious.
Unread 27-02-2012, 11:36   #136
brompton7
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlr42 View Post
Excellent post, you should write to Alan Kelly and make sure he knows what effects his changes are having.
I certainly will be writing to Alan Kelly. And to Virginia O'Dowd of Nenagh Rail Partnership. And to Jim Gallivan, the business development manager in Limerick. I understand that the needs of the many out value the needs of the few. And that public funds should not be squandered. The odds are certainly stacked against the viability of the Nenagh branch. It has a competing bus service and a brand spanking new motorway running along side it. Of course it is difficult to sell the service. Try telling somebody who finished work at 1600 and can be home in 30 mins by car from their place of work that they must now wait 65 minutes for their service to run and then sit on a slow service and THEN get into their car at their local station and drive to their house. Any railway, in any way, is a social asset. It may never make money and may always need lifesupport. However, if it being run with public funds it should be run competently and EVERY effort made to make as useful as possible. We pay for the service. We pay for the people who run it. We pay the salaries of the Alan Kellys, the Virginia O'Dowds and the Jim Gallivans. It is OURS. The railway either needs to be closed to save money - or it needs to be run properly. Anything in between is an insult; and I am completely incensed when I look at the amount of tax I pay and the return I get is incompetence.
brompton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2012, 13:43   #137
Traincustomer

Personally I think that the timetable should have been issued as a proposal first (like last year's timetable consultation processes for the ex Connolly and Heuston routes) so that frustrating situations like what you identify would have been avoided.

I thought the NTA favoured a consultative approach but this new timetable appears as an old-style "this is what we're giving you, like it or lump it" timetable and that approach is no longer satisfactory or best practice.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2012, 15:54   #138
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
Personally I think that the timetable should have been issued as a proposal first (like last year's timetable consultation processes for the ex Connolly and Heuston routes) so that frustrating situations like what you identify would have been avoided.
+1. At least even the stuff like could the 1705 serve Roscrea on an SO basis could have been worked into the final document even if major changes couldn't be made.
Unread 27-02-2012, 18:41   #139
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If there had been a consultation you can bet there would have been a very different outcome.

They have 6 months to use it or lose it and odds are it will be a lose it.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2012, 21:05   #140
2200DMU
Regular Poster

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-3032178.html
2200DMU is offline   Reply With Quote