Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 12-01-2015, 20:21   #221
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 581
Default

Firstly I didn't suggest deferring the bus by any amount of time let alone by a quarter of an hour. In practice the ship's arrival time of 06.30 is a scheduled one and it often arrives in a little before that. Anyone aiming for the 370 if they were prompt disembarking would probably still make it.

What came across as unwarranted were the pie in the sky comments about South Wexford.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2015, 21:19   #222
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
Firstly I didn't suggest deferring the bus by any amount of time let alone by a quarter of an hour. In practice the ship's arrival time of 06.30 is a scheduled one and it often arrives in a little before that. Anyone aiming for the 370 if they were prompt disembarking would probably still make it.

What came across as unwarranted were the pie in the sky comments about South Wexford.
Apologies - that was the previous poster who seemed to be suggesting that the bus timetable should be changed.

But I'd stand over the thrust of my comment - that specific service needs to be scheduled for the vast majority of its users and that's the commuter traffic into Waterford. Any foot passenger traffic would be negligible in comparison to that.

Again the question arises - why has the shipping company changed their schedule to create this problem in the first place?
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-01-2015, 10:54   #223
comcor
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford
Posts: 840
Default

I did actually acknowledge the impact at the other side of the timetable. Nevertheless, it should be possible to deal with it by removing the padding. Last time I used the service, it was scheduled to take 20 minutes from Ramsgrange to Wellingtonbridge; it took about 12.

That morning bus doesn't go the slow route, but it does allow 50 minutes to get from Bridgetown to New Ross, which seems excessively generous, even allowing for the lower speeds on a bus and picking up passengers in Wellingtonbridge.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-01-2015, 18:25   #224
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Apologies
Fair enough.

Quote:
Again the question arises - why has the shipping company changed their schedule to create this problem in the first place?
Presumably to effect fuel savings as per other routes/ferry operators. Some of the sailings from Rosslare to Cherbourg have increased passage times too in that route's 2015 Sailing Schedule which was introduced last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
I did actually acknowledge the impact at the other side of the timetable. Nevertheless, it should be possible to deal with it by removing the padding. Last time I used the service, it was scheduled to take 20 minutes from Ramsgrange to Wellingtonbridge; it took about 12.

That morning bus doesn't go the slow route, but it does allow 50 minutes to get from Bridgetown to New Ross, which seems excessively generous, even allowing for the lower speeds on a bus and picking up passengers in Wellingtonbridge.
I agree there is a level of padding in the schedule. Last time I was on the bus it took 42 minutes to travel from New Ross to Bridgetown including several stops (and for the record I should say that's driving at an ordinary speed appropriate to the roads - which in places are twisty).
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-01-2015, 21:17   #225
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
I did actually acknowledge the impact at the other side of the timetable. Nevertheless, it should be possible to deal with it by removing the padding. Last time I used the service, it was scheduled to take 20 minutes from Ramsgrange to Wellingtonbridge; it took about 12.

That morning bus doesn't go the slow route, but it does allow 50 minutes to get from Bridgetown to New Ross, which seems excessively generous, even allowing for the lower speeds on a bus and picking up passengers in Wellingtonbridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
I agree there is a level of padding in the schedule. Last time I was on the bus it took 42 minutes to travel from New Ross to Bridgetown including several stops (and for the record I should say that's driving at an ordinary speed appropriate to the roads - which in places are twisty).
I'd prefer to have a bus schedule that has recovery time built into it than one that does not, particularly on commuter runs.

Having that built into it means that the timetable is sufficiently robust.

There have been far too many complaints on boards.ie about bus timetables that are not realistic and that buses are arriving late.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-01-2015, 23:06   #226
Eddie
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 245
Default

All SailRail fares are by 1 for 2015.

As per last year, IF fares are all 3 more than Stenas, not sure why. Think it might be historic , in that IF used to charge a 6 fee for credit cards and nothing for debit cards, and decided to average it out. I've never had to pay a credit card surcharge with Stena though.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2015, 13:08   #227
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 581
Default Additional bus to/from Stena Line (Terminal 2) Dublin Port:

The 15.10 sailing to Holyhead now has a connecting bus departing Westmoreland Street at 14.00.

The 12.10 arrival (08.55 ex Holyhead) has a connecting bus operating to Connolly, Westmoreland Street and (if required) extends to Heuston.

These additional services only seem to have been introduced since the Stena Superfast X was introduced on the route last month (the passenger capacity of the previous ferry, Stena Nordica, was significantly less).

For the record the current times are as follows - from Westmoreland Street to the terminal:

For 08.20 sailing to Holyhead bus departs Westmoreland Street at 07.15
For the 15.10 sailing to Holyhead bus departs Westmoreland Street at 14.00
For the 20.40 sailing to Holyhead bus departs Westmoreland Street at 19.00

From the terminal the following sailings are met by a bus operating to Connolly, Westmoreland Street and Heuston:

05.45 arrival (02.30 ex Holyhead)
12.10 arrival (08.55 ex Holyhead)
17.05 arrival (13.50 ex Holyhead)

Note there is no bus connection either off the 23.45 arrival (20.30 ex Holyhead) or for the 02.15 sailing to Holyhead.

Adult fares are 2.50 single from Westmoreland St. to the port or 5 return. Port to Heuston single is 4. Child fares half this. Fares payable to the driver cash only.

All of the services are operated by Mortons Coaches.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2015, 15:40   #228
comcor
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford
Posts: 840
Default

I should have reported on my experience with Sail/Rail

I was quite impressed by it, especially with how easy the change was in Fishguard, just off the train, into the terminal building and onto the ship.

I was surprised by the numbers using it as well. There were 30-40 from the train on the ship and 60-70 foot passengers getting off the ship in Rosslare. All that on what was a relatively quiet sailing otherwise.

I wish I could say I loved the sailing too, but it was the worst crossing of the Irish Sea I've had in 20 years. Fortunately, I don't get seasick.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2015, 17:48   #229
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 581
Default

Thanks for posting. Glad all went well (bar the rough crossing!).
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-05-2015, 21:47   #230
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 581
Default 18.35 Rosslare-Dublin for Summer period

For the third consecutive Summer the 17.55 Rosslare Europort - Dublin Connolly is deferred.

It will operate at 18.35 daily ex Rosslare Europort from June 2 till 31 Aug (both dates inclusive).

This will offer a connection out of the 14.30 sailing ex Fishguard arriving Rosslare Europort at 18.00.

Through ticketing from Welsh/English stations to stations here was available in previous years but curiously, as yet, does not appear to be available.

In addition to the ferry connectivity the deferred departure of the last train is popular with beachgoers to Rosslare Strand.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 26-05-2015 at 21:54. Reason: addition
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-05-2015, 20:44   #231
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,133
Default

Anybody know or where I can find out which rolling stock operates between Fishguard-Newport/Swansea leg?
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-05-2015, 21:34   #232
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,638
Default

Could be anything really

Class 150, 153 and 158 have been seen down there. 22k looks amazing in comparison
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 06:34   #233
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
James Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sligo Line
Posts: 1,112
Default

I wasn't very much impressed with UK rolling stock when I did the sail rail through Holyhead last year. The bulk of the journey was on a Virgin Super Voyager which looked pretty flash outside but was extremely cramped on the inside. The only advantage over the 22k was in noise but that was somewhat overcome by the idiot sat next to me yammering away on his mobile for 2 and a half hours.

Irish Rail may be miles behind on passenger amenities but in terms of general comfort the 22k is miles ahead of any of the three trains I took on that journey. If only they could roster them more effectively so that we weren't clunking down to Longford on them while passengers are crammed into 22k vestibules like sardines on the Dunboyne run.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 08:46   #234
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
I wasn't very much impressed with UK rolling stock when I did the sail rail through Holyhead last year. The bulk of the journey was on a Virgin Super Voyager which looked pretty flash outside but was extremely cramped on the inside. The only advantage over the 22k was in noise but that was somewhat overcome by the idiot sat next to me yammering away on his mobile for 2 and a half hours.

Irish Rail may be miles behind on passenger amenities but in terms of general comfort the 22k is miles ahead of any of the three trains I took on that journey. If only they could roster them more effectively so that we weren't clunking down to Longford on them while passengers are crammed into 22k vestibules like sardines on the Dunboyne run.
I remember that post.

The train that you took (the 09:10 Euston-Holyhead) is usually 2 5 car Voyagers all the way to Holyhead which would mean it should not be cramped - it sounded like it was only one voyager on the day you took it?

As for the guy talking loudly on his mobile - could you not take matters into your own hands and maybe ask him to tone it down? I certainly wouldn't put up with that.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 08:50   #235
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Anybody know or where I can find out which rolling stock operates between Fishguard-Newport/Swansea leg?
The daytime boat train is rostered for a Class 158.

The night time boat train is rostered for a Class 150.

But, as ever with ATW, with very tight rostering, that can change.

Usually during the summer months the daytime service can be strengthened by attaching a Class 153 or even a Class 142 or Class 143 pacer!
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 13:15   #236
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,133
Default

Might aim for the 158, they look like the best of a bad lot!
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 13:16   #237
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Might aim for the 158, they look like the best of a bad lot!
There's nothing wrong with the Class 158s. One of the best regional DMUs built, and particularly the refurbished ATW sets, as they also have power sockets at each seat.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 21:57   #238
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 581
Default

Travelled on the daytime boat train earlier this month and it was a Class 158. Any other time though have had a Class 150 Sprinter on the daytime and the same at night.

A few years ago had a Class 153 (single unit) on the 01.50 ex Fishguard Harbour.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 22:46   #239
Eddie
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
I remember that post.

The train that you took (the 09:10 Euston-Holyhead) is usually 2 5 car Voyagers all the way to Holyhead which would mean it should not be cramped - it sounded like it was only one voyager on the day you took it?
I took it that by cramped, James meant that the seats were very close together - which they are, particularly the airline style seats if you have someone else sat next to you - not that the train was necessarily full. These trains don't have enough luggage storage either.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-06-2015, 14:34   #240
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I took it that by cramped, James meant that the seats were very close together - which they are, particularly the airline style seats if you have someone else sat next to you - not that the train was necessarily full. These trains don't have enough luggage storage either.
If you read the original post it was a combination of the two.

But I'm struggling to believe that a 10-car voyager train would be full along the North Wales coast (the 09:10 Euston-Holyhead is usually a double voyager).

It does sound like there was only a single voyager on that leg, which is not the norm.

There is now the additional Manchester-Holyhead loco hauled train which connects with the ferries, so pressure on the other train should be reduced.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.