Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-10-2010, 19:06   #1
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default [28/10/2010] 20 min Delays to Southbound DARTs and Drogheda services AM

I was on the 07.12am Drogheda-Bray service, and we spent 10 mins stuck around Harmonstown. We then spent another 5 mins north of Connolly.
Not a single piece of information from the driver. Nothing on the LED displays.
As I was on the final carriage, there could have been something on the PA in Connolly, but the PA system only works for the top 4 carriages there.
Certainly nothing on the PA while we waited in Tara st and Pearse st.
Checked with Connolly information desk via phone. Turns out there was a signal failure at 7am at Fairview. Took my feedback, and said they would pass on the lack of information.
Checked the IE realtime arrivals at 9am. Showed every single southbound DART and Drogheda train delayed up to 20 mins. Delays were due to clear at 10am, but I did not recheck.
Nothing on the IE travel alerts. Not sure about AA roadwatch. It really was a disgrace the way they refused to tell passengers about the problems - certainly during the 1 hour I was sitting on their services.
I genuinely believe the drivers on the Northern suburban line are refusing to make passenger announcements during delays. I would love to hear some feedback on this if anyone else thinks the same. Our driver clearly knew about the problems from before he left Drogheda, yet did not say a thing...
Unread 29-10-2010, 09:10   #2
Commuter101
New to the board

I was on the 07.13 Dundalk-Bray service, equally as slow and no announcement.
On Tuesday morning I was on the 07.12 Drogheda-Bray service, not sure of the exact time it pulled into Grand Canal Dock but I think it was over 10 minutes after it should have.
On Wednesday morning I was on 07.00 Dundalk-Bray service, that is supposed to terminate in Connolly at 08.28am - but it didn't until 08.38am.
Yesterday evening, I was on the 17.55 Pearse-Dundalk service. We crawled along the track (no surprises there as a DART to Malahide runs 3-4 mins before it) but then we stopped outside Portmarnock. After a few minutes, the driver makes an announcement "apologies for the delay but there is no free platform in Malahide". As we waited, an Enterprise and at least one DART (maybe two) passed us on the other track.
Definitely something up with the Northern Commuter systems. So far this week, I think my time spent on a train has increased by about 45 mins - I only wish I took note of the exact times so I could confirm!
Commuter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-10-2010, 09:41   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

A northbound train to Drogheda cannot use the southbound platform in Malahide, southbound trains can use either.

The scale of delays is unacceptable and the silence from Irish Rail only further confirms that they are responsible for the majority of the delays
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-10-2010, 11:42   #4
karlr42

It really wouldn't surprise me if the drivers themselves aren't aware of the causes of delays. The signalling system is very automated so they wouldn't have any need to actually call up control and get told any information, and control isn't calling trains to tell them.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-10-2010, 18:04   #5
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

You have a point Karl, but surely they feel somewhat obliged if sitting facing a red signal for 10 minutes to make a call, and at least tell their customers what is wrong, and when they expect services to resume.
I'm not sure if the drivers are simply being lazy, CTC are not responding to the drivers calls for information, or CTC not asking the drivers to make announcements to their passengers.
Whatever the reason, Irish Rail and their staff are in control. I don't think we are looking for too much for an announcement during delays.
If I treated my customers like we are treated by Irish Rail, I would not have many customers. And possibly not a job....