Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 07-01-2014, 20:44   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,642
Default

If you personally had a 'bad experience' report the member of staff, complain. As for third party observations of other passengers experience it is hard to know the full context, but if its clearly excessive complain.

We have raised complaints with Irish Rail to ensure the RPU staff show their ID badges clearly when conducting a check. Demand to see the ID card if not shown, they must have the ID and a warrant card.

Its not a pleasant job and I have to admit we have complained to Irish Rail concerning the very superficial nature of ticket checks, we are now seeing a more in-depth check so this will catch the professional evaders who fake tickets, ID and so on.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 07:42   #22
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
James Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sligo Line
Posts: 1,112
Default

I would have the guy who dealt with me as being assertive rather than rude which is necessary. He said thank you to me after I showed my pass. I think his ID was visible but I couldn't swear to that as I wasn't paying that much attention.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:27   #23
AD11
New to the board
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Westmeath
Posts: 29
Default

He was more aggressive than I would like but not outright rude. There was a student he pulled up over not having a student card which was fair enough but I didnt like the way he spoke to the 2 girls who may or may not have been using valid 'child' tickets. If they were actually entitled to use them I would be upset at his manner and the aggressive way he spoke to them was uncalled for in my opinion anyway.

In fairness he was fine with me although he gave my annual ticket more scrutiny than anyone I've ever seen in about 10 yrs commuting
__________________
I can't remember the last day I didn't train.
AD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 12:41   #24
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD11 View Post
He was more aggressive than I would like but not outright rude. There was a student he pulled up over not having a student card which was fair enough but I didnt like the way he spoke to the 2 girls who may or may not have been using valid 'child' tickets. If they were actually entitled to use them I would be upset at his manner and the aggressive way he spoke to them was uncalled for in my opinion anyway.

In fairness he was fine with me although he gave my annual ticket more scrutiny than anyone I've ever seen in about 10 yrs commuting
Sounds like the ticket checker should have been put on a training course on how to deal with people for a start.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 13:33   #25
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
James Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sligo Line
Posts: 1,112
Default

He probably was put on a course to train him to behave that way. The problem is that serious aggression is such a common trait in us Irish that he has to go in aggressively so as to get his retaliation in first.

If he goes in all nice as pie, people will just walk all over him so he has to be seen in the first place as being unwilling to take any crap from anyone. It is exactly the same everywhere with ticket inspectors - there is no other way to get the job done.

I reckon he'd want to be wearing a stab-vest the way a significant minority behave in this country.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 14:11   #26
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default

Quote:
I would have the guy who dealt with me as being assertive rather than rude which is necessary. He said thank you to me after I showed my pass. I think his ID was visible but I couldn't swear to that as I wasn't paying that much attention.
I think that post sums up RPU and they should be very assertive, being kind and nice doesn't work anymore, you should hear some of the excuses they have to listen to.

Quote:
the way he spoke to the 2 girls who may or may not have been using valid 'child' tickets. If they were actually entitled to use them I would be upset at his manner and the aggressive way he spoke to them was uncalled for in my opinion anyway.
as we don't know if they were allowed on child tickets I would put big money that they were not. Loads try to get away with child tickets and of course in many cases the RPU staff will get abuse before they actually get the correct answers.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 14:16   #27
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Celbridge
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
He probably was put on a course to train him to behave that way. The problem is that serious aggression is such a common trait in us Irish that he has to go in aggressively so as to get his retaliation in first.

If he goes in all nice as pie, people will just walk all over him so he has to be seen in the first place as being unwilling to take any crap from anyone. It is exactly the same everywhere with ticket inspectors - there is no other way to get the job done.

I reckon he'd want to be wearing a stab-vest the way a significant minority behave in this country.
No, I wouldn't agree. There is nothing wrong in saying 'tickets, please', and carry out the inspection in an assertive and efficient manner. There is no need for agression on any part and a ticket collector should be trained to handle a situation like that. Many companies who have staff dealing with the public train their staff in that area. This serves both customer service and also their own (staff) safety.

Last edited by grainne whale : 08-01-2014 at 14:41.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 16:43   #28
ocian
New to the board
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
No, I wouldn't agree. There is nothing wrong in saying 'tickets, please', and carry out the inspection in an assertive and efficient manner. There is no need for agression on any part and a ticket collector should be trained to handle a situation like that. Many companies who have staff dealing with the public train their staff in that area. This serves both customer service and also their own (staff) safety.
I have to agree with you, out of all the countries in Europe I have visited and travelled by train, Irish Rail RPU staff (both on trains and on the barriers in Heuston & Connolly) are by far the most aggressive and sometimes downright rude. In all the countries I've been to the ticket checkers are nice and friendly but yet still assertive. A simple "tickets please" and a smile and "thank you sir/madam" after the ticket is checked is all that's needed, not that difficult. They're still assertive and able to deal with offenders efficiently, but pleasant to those who have valid tickets. And it works perfectly, proving there is no need for the aggression we see here from the RPU.
ocian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 18:46   #29
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
James Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sligo Line
Posts: 1,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocian View Post
I have to agree with you, out of all the countries in Europe I have visited and travelled by train, Irish Rail RPU staff (both on trains and on the barriers in Heuston & Connolly) are by far the most aggressive and sometimes downright rude.
By the same token, of all the countries in Europe, with the possible exception of England, Ireland has the highest proportion of aggressive and downright rude individuals among the general population.

As I said before, this is the first time I've ever seen RPU staff on a train and I thought their behaviour was reasonable. I can't speak for the wider experience as I personally think it is absurd how rarely my ticket is checked by either rude or nice staff.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:12   #30
AD11
New to the board
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Westmeath
Posts: 29
Default

I really have no problem with them being 'assertive' with people who have no ticket / wrong ticket / someone elses free pass etc etc etc. In fact I am often delighted to see the offenders nabbed and put in their place.

However, I do not think they should be quite so 'assertive' in their manner to us 'law abiding' passengers with valid tickets.

There has to be a happy medium.
__________________
I can't remember the last day I didn't train.
AD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 13:33   #31
laoisfan
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lovely Laois
Posts: 100
Default

Hi

Got on the commuter train this morning at Portlaoise to Park West with a mate of mine. Two inspectors also got on. When train had started my mate realised he had left his annual ticket at home.

Around Hazelhatch they decided to do ticket checks. My mate says (very politely) good morning and that he has left his annual ticket at home and he does not have the cash to pay for a ticket. He tells them he is getting off at Park West. He then asks can they issue him with a fine. The inspector looks at me and I just shrug and confirm he does have an annual pass (which he does). The inspector says fair enough and proceeds to have a chat (he recognises me from going up/down from Ballybrophy). He (or his mate) do not issue my mate with a fine. For about 3-5 minutes they chat with us and then wish us a good day. These two guys do the Limerick route I believe.

Both were very nice, extremely polite.

My mate was shocked they did not issue a fine.
laoisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 14:22   #32
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,135
Default

Would say the main area of concern to IE is adults/students on child tickets, students without ID, pass holders without ID and the general excuses about tickets.

You mate got lucky (expect you are to thank for that) and admitting straight away and not making up excuse after excuse helps.

Question now is will your mate purchase a return ticket when returning or take the chance.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 15:08   #33
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,860
Default

Isn't Cherry Orchard/Park West barriered?
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 16:17   #34
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,642
Default

Doesn't imply it is staffed...
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-01-2014, 11:27   #35
laoisfan
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lovely Laois
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Question now is will your mate purchase a return ticket when returning or take the chance.
He couldn't purchase a return ticket......only enough money for lunch.

He was getting the 9pm train home that evening and the barriers at Parkwest are normally open at that time....so yes taking a chance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph
Isn't Cherry Orchard/Park West barriered?
Yes but as Mark pointed out it does not necessarily mean it is manned. If it's not manned normally 9/10 the barriers will be fully open.

Last edited by laoisfan : 14-01-2014 at 11:29.
laoisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2014, 09:19   #36
Destructix
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Tipperary
Posts: 257
Default

I thought they stopped issuing the paper corn flakes box cut out travel passes? Friend just got his in the post and it was the old paper pass.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2014, 13:51   #37
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
I thought they stopped issuing the paper corn flakes box cut out travel passes? Friend just got his in the post and it was the old paper pass.
They are still going. There are plans to replace them with Leap card type affairs but still in the long grass.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2014, 14:47   #38
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 737
Default

I got a replacement for my cut-out conflakes travel pass before Christmas: it's titled a Public Services Card and has "FT" on the top left corner. The card has a chip and a photo (they must have got it from Passport or Driving Licence files as they never asked me to supply one for the PS card).

I don't know whether the new card has smart-card technology waiting to be enabled. If they are also going to issue new smart free-travel cards, then this looks like a hugely wateful piece of duplication, a failure of various bureaucrats to join the dots.

On or two other things: the writing is really tiny - ideal for short-sighted oldies! Also I was asked to return the old card to an address in Sligo or somewhere (they might have asked me to destroy it) - and there appears to be no condition of having to destroy/return the old card before the new one is fully validated.

All in all a typical Irish Civil Service mess.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2014, 15:28   #39
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,642
Default

The card is fully enabled for use on Leap supported transport operators

It will go live in the coming months
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-05-2014, 07:54   #40
James Shields
Member
 
James Shields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 1,260
Default

I've been commuting on the Drogheda line for most of the last decade, and until about a month ago I'd never encountered a ticket inspector on a peak service. I've encountered them reasonably frequently if I was getting a train outside commuting hours, or on Saturdays, and also they'll occasionally camp out in one of the busy stations for an evening and blitz everyone getting off.

In the past month, I've encountered them twice on morning peak commuter trains, which I think is a welcome change.

Any time I've encountered them they were polite.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:22.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.