Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-04-2012, 09:29   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Irish Rail Catering Survey

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4511&p=116&n=237
Quote:
Catering Survey
24 April 2012

We are continuously making every effort to improve the on board experience for you, our customer. As part of this process we would appreciate your feedback on our current catering service. Please take a few minutes to fill in the survey to let us have your views. Your input will be totally confidential and will help us to more closely reflect customer expectations. Catering Survey.
Unread 24-04-2012, 21:19   #2
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Can see very little or no positive feedback results in this survey.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2012, 21:51   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Being objective

1. Rail Gourmet present a far more professional public image, uniform, name badges etc

2. Absence of catering on a train where advertised is a rare event compared to days of old

3. Range carried by trolley is vastly improved over previous

The only major issue is price
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-04-2012, 10:01   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Getting a hot meal and prompt service in the dining car would be nice.
Unread 25-04-2012, 11:24   #5
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Prices are fine compared to coffee shops/bars, I suppose. But the last two times I've travelled, the advertised catering service hasn't been delivered (one shop only instead of full meals and one no service instead of shop and trolley).
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-04-2012, 12:30   #6
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

That there is no complimentary refreshment offering of any kind in Citygold/Premier and just an orange juice in Enterprise First is a joke. At minimum there should be free soft drinks/beverages with for-pay meals which would be similar to First Great Western's offering.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-04-2012, 14:29   #7
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

I was let into CityGold once for free when the train was overcrowded. Tbh its no different to standard class just you get a light and headphones plug in and adjustable seating. Now must have been 16 people standing on that train only reason i was let in was the member of staff knew me for years using the train. There was only like 3 people in first class. Is there any real need for it. It's expensive and underused they could have much more capacity using that as a standard carriage. If someone wants to look posh sell them a pillow.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-04-2012, 18:28   #8
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
That there is no complimentary refreshment offering of any kind in Citygold/Premier and just an orange juice in Enterprise First is a joke. At minimum there should be free soft drinks/beverages with for-pay meals which would be similar to First Great Western's offering.
Virgin Trains and East Coast over here serve full breakfasts and dinners.
Unread 26-04-2012, 15:00   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
I was let into CityGold once for free when the train was overcrowded. Tbh its no different to standard class just you get a light and headphones plug in and adjustable seating. Now must have been 16 people standing on that train only reason i was let in was the member of staff knew me for years using the train. There was only like 3 people in first class. Is there any real need for it. It's expensive and underused they could have much more capacity using that as a standard carriage. If someone wants to look posh sell them a pillow.
That is because it is run down to the extent that you have describe it. I remember getting full meals and complimentary newspapers and suchlike when citygold meant something. Citygold was a proper first class/business class offering using a seperate carriage with 2+1 seating whcih used a modified carraige of which there were few. on bringing in the mark4 fleet the name was carried over to what is carraige B on those sets. of that old service only the name survives. Thats why ony three people were using it, being back the full service and it will attract a lot more patrons.
Unread 26-04-2012, 15:49   #10
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

They don't actually make it easy to buy tickets.

On my last attempt to buy a first class ticket, I went to the booking office and was told that I should get a second class ticket and upgrade on the train.

While they probably need to ensure that 1st class isn't overcrowded, that is a farcical way to do it.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2012, 07:53   #11
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

They're probably trying to do you a favour. Half the trains don't have a ticket checker any more.
Unread 27-04-2012, 08:36   #12
EnterpriseUser

I think IE could make more of an effort with First class. Citygold is nothing like the service offered when it was launched. The evening train to Cork was always packed and the buzz was fantastic as the regulars all knew each other well. NIR still maintains standards on the Enterprise although the catering offering after breakfast is uninspiring. Uniquely that service is available all weekend. I have some English friends who were astonished that they were able to get a cooked breakfast on a Sunday morning. No UK services offer catering at the weekend except Eurostar. There are shops where sandwiches and beverages can be purchased but thats it. Given nearly every rail service offers poorer timing than the roads and is more expensive than the bus, IE needs to give passengers reasons to use their services. Better catering should be obvious.
EnterpriseUser is offline   Reply With Quote