Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-08-2010, 20:58   #1
maitias
New to the board

Default Refunds for serious delays

Not sure if this has happened to anyone before or does anyone know the answer.
I got delayed a number of months ago on the 18:30 train from Cork to Dublin the same Sunday and around the same time as the tragic accident outside Mountrath.

On our arrival into Heuston we were informed by IE staff at the station to fill out the refunds forms they were handing out and post them to the address on the form. (We were also informed about this by the train host). I didnt bother to get one as I needed the ticked to return back to Cork.

Once I had used the ticked in completion I filled out the form by obtaining it online and sending it to the appropriate address.

A number of days I got I got a letter from IE and was informed that I wasnt entitled to a refund. My issue is that we were told one thing by IE staff and another by head-office.

Im not terribly happy about this experience and if I had know that I wouldnt be entitled a refund because the circumstance were out of their control (which I understand) I wouldnt have sent in the form.

What I find most annoying is that IE staff on the train in the station were saying yes your entitled to a refund but then Im told a different thing by Head Office makes we wonder which staff member are right and is the refund system designed so that a limit number of refunds are paid out depending on the number of claims. I cant find anything on their website which informs the public what is a legitimate refunds case and what are not legitimate refunds case. Should this not be made available to the public at least their refunds system can stand up the scrutiny if the criteria is available for all to see.
maitias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-08-2010, 06:22   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

It is on the site (buried somewhere; I'm on a mobile device so can't check right now).

The criteria for a refund on journeys within Ireland are that you are over an hour late (50% rebate) or over two hours late (100% rebate) at your rail destination for causes within Iarnród Éireann's control. Breakdowns etc. are considered within IÉ's control, but suicides for example would be outside IÉ's control.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-08-2010, 06:44   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Delays outside our control

We cannot accept claims for delays that are outside our control. These include those caused by:

pre-advertised timetable alterations due to engineering works;
security alerts;
industrial action taken without notice;
extreme weather conditions;
vandalism; or
other activities carried out by people who do not work for us.
That said Irish Rail is inconsistent with suicide events, I have seen refunds in other cases
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote