Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-12-2007, 16:08   #1
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Default Should Connolly be the terminating station for Rosslare services?

Should Connolly station be the terminating station for Rosslare services?

Would passengers perfer the Rosslare trains to terminate at Connoly and start at Connolly, Rather coming from Maynooth/Drogheda?
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2007, 16:14   #2
Morgase
New to the board

Well I would love it. It would greatly increase the chances of getting a seat instead of standing the whole way home. Maybe the cleaners would even get a chance to clean the train and remove all the empty cans from the tables!

But then I don't use the service beyond Connolly, so I'm biased
Morgase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2007, 16:24   #3
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showth...ghlight=arklow

we sort of had this discussion on the members section long ago.

I personally advocate them all stopping at Pearse.
Unread 19-12-2007, 16:33   #4
Colm R
Regular Poster

I was waiting in Pearse recently and was thinking about this. <I was waiting a long time>

There has to be an argument to terminating "Intercity Train" in Pearse coming from Rosslare, rather than sending them onto Connolly and Maynooth.

Yes, it may require more trains, but surely having routes run independent of each other makes since. Pearse certainly has the room, that old platform beside the northbound platform, and a further area, currently used as a staff car park, which could be used to hold trains without interfering with the cross city Dart.

Consequently, services to the North and Northwest should leave by Connolly.

Is there any sense to what I am talking about, or is total BS.

Precedent in London is clear. Each of the major stations serves lines on their direction out of London. Is there a culture in Ireland ("Dublin") that people don't want to transfer and will pick their place of residence according to where they work so preventing the need to transfer?
Colm R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2007, 16:49   #5
shweeney
Regular Poster

i have no problem with them going on to maynooth or drogheda - makes sense not to block up a running platform in Connolly, though there is also plenty of holding space north of connolly where they could wait.

Stopping in Pearse isn't great, there's already 2 mainline stations in what is actually quite a small city - adding another does nothing for integrated transport and the transferring passengers would end up on the Dart anyway.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2007, 18:05   #6
CSL

Where do the trains come from then to run the outward services from Connolly that would have run with the train's you've just terminated in Pearse ?

Doing it the existing way needs 1 set.

Doing it the other way requires 2 sets

or am I mad as a loon ?

If we assume you have enough sets the only advantage is a reduction on paths required through tara and across the river
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2007, 20:40   #7
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithStephen View Post
Should Connolly station be the terminating station for Rosslare services?
No. IMO Sligo and Longford should.

Think about this - not only are there track-path advantages running through Dublin City Centre on merged Sligo and Rosslare lines, (that being less conflict with DARTs) but users on both lines would have more destination choices, with Sligo users having direct trains to Tara St. and Pearse, while Rosslare users could get direct interchange with the Metro at Drumcondra.

If some vision and lateral thinking had been applied to the Midland line, an interchange could have been built there and Maynooth-Bray DART, Longford-Arklow Commuter and Sligo-Rosslare Intercity could have all gone down the Midland line and into the suburban station at Connolly, this could have opened boodles of track paths to bring Kildare Commuter and Heuston-based Intercity trains into Connolly sheds, which would have had its own advantages. But alas, the Metro was built in such a way that an interchange with the Midland Line was impossible and the RPA didn't look at it because IE made their disinterest in that line very clear

But even without the Midland Line, matched, through running trains make a certain degree of sense.

Maynooth and Drogheda do not make sense as terminii for Rosslare service because they're Commuter destinations (the former soon to be DART) while Connolly and Sligo are Intercity terminii.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2007, 20:48   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
Users on both lines would have more destination choices, with Sligo users having direct trains to Tara St. and Pearse, while Rosslare users could get direct interchange with the Metro at Drumcondra.

Maynooth-Bray DART, Longford-Gorey Commuter and Sligo-Rosslare Intercity could have all gone down the Midland line and into the suburban station at Connolly, this could have opened boodles of track paths to bring Kildare Commuter and Heuston-based Intercity trains into Connolly sheds,

Maynooth and Drogheda do not make sense as terminii for Rosslare service.
I Like where your coming from
Unread 19-12-2007, 21:02   #9
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

Interesting topic. I agree that all Rosslare services should stop and start from one of the city centre stations. These trains could be taken in for cleaning and servicing then returned to the platform 10min before departure.

However I do see the value of operating the Gorey/Enniscorthy services to and from Maynooth as I know there are a number of students commuting to and from collage in Maynooth and the service is really usefull for them.

The 1740 Rosslare to Drogheda and 0630 Drogheda to Rosslare operate more or less to get the trains to servicing at Drogheda depot. It makes more sense than stopping the train in Dublin then run it empty to the depot.

Ed
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2007, 21:29   #10
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Ryan View Post
Interesting topic. I agree that all Rosslare services should stop and start from one of the city centre stations. These trains could be taken in for cleaning and servicing then returned to the platform 10min before departure.

However I do see the value of operating the Gorey/Enniscorthy services to and from Maynooth as I know there are a number of students commuting to and from collage in Maynooth and the service is really usefull for them.

The 1740 Rosslare to Drogheda and 0630 Drogheda to Rosslare operate more or less to get the trains to servicing at Drogheda depot. It makes more sense than stopping the train in Dublin then run it empty to the depot.

Ed
10mins would be good for me but I would perfer 20mins but 10 I'II settle for .
Gorey/Enniscorthy Commuter services yes they are fine as they are its InterCity, I think should terminate at Connolly.
The 17:40 Rosslare/Drogheda they are Commuter Railcars so they are fine going to Drogheda for service. Hence why does the 20:05 Enniscorthy/Dublin just go to Conolly at not also to Drogheda Depot. But when the new 22000 trains come into action then they should go no futher than Connolly unless of course its the last service from Rosslare then it may go to where-ever they go for servicing.
Unread 19-12-2007, 23:34   #11
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Well I would love it.
It would greatly increase the chances of getting a seat instead of standing the whole way home.
I think Rosslare-Dublin Connolly should'nt change, Connolly is central and has the Dart, Enterprise, No 90 bus to Hueston, InterCity to Sligo its more a terminus for Rosslare than Pearse Station.

Can I ask everyone do you like the current stops at Tara Street ,Pearse & Dun Laoghaire from Connolly and all Rosslare services including Sundays?
Unread 20-12-2007, 01:53   #12
Pierce
New to the board

Interesting question there KeithStephen,I would love to see all Rosslare trains terminate at Connolly and not Dublin Pearse. 20minutes for the train to be standing at the platform is'nt exactly asking for much. Could the train wait at Connolly for 20m's. I have to say I dont like the train stopping at the stations you've mentioned because I like seeing the train passing Tara and Pearse and all stations to Bray knowing your on an Intercity express train.
Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-12-2007, 12:58   #13
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I can't see the benefit of terminating Rosslare services in Pearse. For the passengers who want to travel onto Dundalk, Sligo or Belfast, you're adding extra complication and it wouldn't make all that much difference to DART running.

I'd agree with the idea of running them through Dublin completely, preferably on to Sligo or Dundalk.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-12-2007, 13:08   #14
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
20minutes for the train to be standing at the platform is'nt exactly asking for much. Could the train wait at Connolly for 20m's..
20 minutes of DARTS and Commuters using just 2 platforms is alot. It causes quite a bit of disruption.

Bearing in mind you are cancelling a busy service by curtailing the service to Connolly do you allocate the commuter rolling stock that has been taken off the rosslare line and allocate it to a maynooth service thereby wasting the stock that has become surplus?

Last edited by ThomasJ : 20-12-2007 at 13:19.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-12-2007, 21:17   #15
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
I can't see the benefit of terminating Rosslare services in Pearse.
I can't for the love of God either, It makes no sense.
Connolly has and hopefully will always be the terminating station for Rosslare Services.

Anyone else even considered why IE are stopping all Rosslare services at Tara, Pearse & Dun Laoghaire maybe they are planning this in advance.....
Unread 20-12-2007, 23:23   #16
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithStephen View Post
Anyone else even considered why IE are stopping all Rosslare services at Tara, Pearse & Dun Laoghaire
They stop at those stations because they are popular stations with connections, e.g. 7, 46A and ferries at Dun Laoghaire. There is also likely to be a DART in front of them.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-12-2007, 23:37   #17
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
They stop at those stations because they are popular stations with connections, e.g. 7, 46A and ferries at Dun Laoghaire. There is also likely to be a DART in front of them.
I know all this, I just wanted to see if people would also disagree with those stops but I guess its not turning out that way (haha )

I dont think there will ever be a Bray/Connolly direct for Rosslare ever again
Unread 22-12-2007, 01:18   #18
James Shields

Would you like them to extend the tracks up your front garden to save you the walk from the station?

Seriously, the purpose of the railway is to carry as many people as possible, and cutting out intermediate stops denies a proportion of the users from accessing the service. Unless there are enough Roslare passengers to fill the train on their own, you need the passengers for intermediate stops to keep the service viable.

Combining a Roslare service with a Maynooth/Longford/Sligo service saves a critical trackpath over the loop bridge, as one service is emptying as the other is filling up. I haven't experience of this, but I would expect that most passengers from the Maynooth leg will have alighted by Pearse, so even if you don't get a seat at Connolly, if you stand somewhere sensible you should be seated by Pearse.

And if you are left standing from time to time, try to remember the positive side - it means your line is growing and you can expect a greater range of services in the future.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2007, 01:50   #19
ThomasJ

Good point James re. combining rosslare and maynooth services!

passenger numbers on those rosslare europort and gorey trains have more than doubled as a result of running to and from maynooth. and dundalk. surely that can only be a good thing for the worst performing line on the railway network?

I remember years ago when there was a 7.30 clonsilla to rosslare europort train (was an mk2 set) that was always crammed as far as connolly and i actually remember cold winter mornings that less than ten passengers would get on at connolly.... how times have changed !
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-12-2007, 02:01   #20
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
passenger numbers on those rosslare europort and gorey trains have more than doubled as a result of running to and from maynooth. and dundalk.
Can you proof this? When I see the Maynooth train coming into P5 most of the passengers have got off then the Rosslare passengers crowd the train most people still start there journey at Connolly. Arriving into Pearse not so much Tara St there is more passengers for the line. Passengers travelling on the Rosslare line know that Connolly is best to get a seat than arriving into Pearse with the coach full. I agree Thank God the line has seen an increase etc....