Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-02-2006, 23:57   #41
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert
The DMU's are a travesty. They're good for runs like Celbridge or even Dundalk. But compared to the Mk3's they lose. They are loud (since they're a bus diesel engine and an automatic transmission) and uncomfortable. The internal styling seems to go for big curves and it looks to be honest like a public toilet on wheels.

I don't buy the scripted announcements thing (or even the automatic ones). The real human-being ones do add a personal touch. Let's keep them!
That's, probably the best post of any new member on the P11 boards I refer to the DMUs (well really just the 29ks as the older ones aren't so bad) as "rolling trashcan," "garbage can on wheels" "drunken monkey on steriods" (in reference to the way some of them shake in action) or when I'm really annoyed, "s*** trains" but "public toilet on wheels" is also apt. you've also got a point about those announcements too IMHO.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2006, 11:53   #42
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

I was on the 18:15 from pearse to Drogehda on Friday, it was a 2600 and it was seriously bumpy and rocky, I was nearly thrown off my seat as we passed the points at the sidings south of Malahide at full speed.
I've never seen anything like it on a 29k
All th ewinging about the 29k ride pales to the discomfort of a 2600, which seems to be the normal train on the 18:15 since the new timetable.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2006, 13:16   #43
James Shields

None of the DMUs have great suspension. I thinks Sean's aversion to the 2900s is the way they tend to "see-saw" as they're going around corners. This doesn't seem to be a problem on the northern line as it's all fairly straight and level, but west of Maynooth it gets a bit rocky.

The 2600s are the worst of the lot, though. They are the oldest, and interior is almost identical to the LHB DARTs. The lack of tables on facing seats is a nuscience if you're on the train for any length of time.

There doesn't to be a lot to choose between the different models in terms of noise, but all of the older ones have opening windows that let more of the noise creep back inside. The aircon on the 2900s means that the windows are sealed, which keeps at least some noise outside.

I'm not saying they're perfect, but they're pretty good at what they're designed to do, and if they were kept at what they're designed for, I would expect everyone would be happy(ish).
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-02-2006, 15:38   #44
AZ1
Regular Poster

Thumbs down 09:30 Heuston Waterford - 90' delay

Hi! Can anyone tell me why yesterday's 09:30am ex-Heuston to Waterford left Heuston 90 minutes late? The onboard ticket-checker, in a good-natured manner, said that the Maintenance people had "more or less given up" fixing the rolling stock, such is its dreadful state.
While we appreciate new trains have been ordered and are currently being assembled for our future benefit, what are we fare-paying pax meant to do in the interim? [A friend of mine attempted to travel on this line 2-3 weeks ago, and just walked away from Heuston when told of a similar delay on the same line.] Is it jinxed? Thanks for any light any of you can throw on this for me.
AZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-02-2006, 16:35   #45
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

From our information the 9:30 to Waterford is/should be a MK3 push pull set built in 1988. It could be one of the 1972 built coaches as well but still at 9:30 there is spare stock knocking around that could have been used. It sounds like you got stuck with the 1972 built coaches. They tend to suffer from werid power failures at times. IE were refused funding to refurbish them in the late 1990's and as a result they have been left to rot (quite literally), once a coach gets badly broken its dumped

Currently the entire intercity fleet is required just to sustain daily services which is due to a screw up in IE, as the new Dublin Cork intercity trains are over 6 months late entering service, orignally there was mean't to be an hourly service from December then it became first train set of 8 in service in December (which became January, then February and its going to be March now, fingers crossed for Monday next)

You are entitled to a 50% refund as a result of the delay

http://www.platform11.org/passenger_...hp#their_fault

Alternatively pick up the form at customer services at Heuston

There where major delays on the 3rd of February due to a death on the line at Cherry Orchard other than that we have no further information we are relying on people to report in issues as Iarnrod Eireann (unlike Northern Ireland Railways) do not publish any details on service disruption on their website which is shamefull. Iarnrod Eireann management are not forth coming unless you can more or less provide all the details

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 28-02-2006 at 16:38.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-02-2006, 21:26   #46
John J
Regular Poster

Re the 2900 announcements, there seems to be a problem where the announcements happen prematurely?

Practically EVERY time I get the Longford service you get the automated guy announcing "the next station is Enfield" and before the train has even arrived at the station you get "the next station is Kilcock" followed by the driver saying "please disregard the last announcement".
This is repeated for each subsequent station.

The automated announcements are annoying enough when they're correct. What is the point if they aren't accurate.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-02-2006, 21:32   #47
sean

I noticed that too with the Sligo ones, coming in to Mullingar (or rattling in as the case may be) it will say "the next station is Maynooth"

As an aside, the other day my mother took the train to Dublin, and, in attempt to avoid the 29ks, on the return journey, asked the conductor what would be on the return trains. He said he simply didn't know, but that he was "blue in the face" dealing with passenger complaints about everything to do with them and suggested writing to a local TD. Which might not actually be a bad idea.

Last edited by sean : 28-02-2006 at 21:35.
Unread 28-02-2006, 21:45   #48
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The way it works is when the doors open you get the destination pa, this train is for x calling at

Train moves off train will announce the next station and will then announce the next station again

There is a new software version on test for the Sligo line currently
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2006, 08:56   #49
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcarpark
The 2600s are the worst of the lot, though. They are the oldest, and interior is almost identical to the LHB DARTs. The lack of tables on facing seats is a nuscience if you're on the train for any length of time.
This is so true. The 2600s make the 2900s look like the Presidential train. Even a short commute on a 2600 is really unpleasant and the noise is in a league of its own.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 11:15   #50
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Yesterday on the 1710 to limerick form Heuston there were the folllowing announcements made:

Take bags/coats off seats: 5 times

The restaurant car is open, it has full memus, and full bar, it's at the frount of the train: 8 times (at least)

There's a trolly making its way down the train: 4 times

There are lots of single seats still available: 3 times

Dont stand in the walkways: twice

The restaurant car (which is open, ect and is, you know) is only for people eating meals there, not for sitting; 4 times

Get off if you're not traveling as the doors will soon close: once.

But they never said what train it was!
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2006, 15:58   #51
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor
This is so true. The 2600s make the 2900s look like the Presidential train. Even a short commute on a 2600 is really unpleasant and the noise is in a league of its own.
Oh good lord jesus help us!

They must be really diabolical at that rate three cheers for IE.
Unread 11-03-2006, 15:14   #52
Donal Quinn

friday 10-3-06
19:05 service heuston athenry

carraige 5232 - did not hear a single announcment all the way to athenry

stood in carraige 5216 as we pulled in to athenry and could just barely hear the announcement from the speaker just above my head!

useless
Donal Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2006, 11:27   #53
colmoc

Default 18:20 Killarney to Dublin Heuston 12/03/2006

no snack car again on this train,
no trolley service just a guy at the end of the train taking up four seats on an already packed train with crappy food and juice.
can IE ever sort out their on train food service, there wasnt even tea or coffee on the train.
I was on the train yesterday with three friends all of whom are soon moving away from intercity travelling to the motorway due to the poor service/cost/delays
When will IE wake up and see what is happening to their long distance service
colmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-03-2006, 13:05   #54
sandraoh
Regular Poster

Default 19:15 from Dublin to Limerick 24/03/06

I caught this train last Friday evening and everything was going well (I even managed to get a seat) until just outside Portarlington at 19:55 when the train stopped. We waited for about 10 minutes and then there was an annoucement that went pretty much along these lines.. "Bing Bong Bing, can I have your attention please. This train is stopped just outside Portarlington. This is due to the train in front of us breaking down. We should be on our way in approximately around about 20 minutes". Approximately around about 20 minutes later the train moved forward slightly and stopped. We were then told there would be a 4-5 minute delay. 4-5 minutes later the train reveresed and headed back towards Dublin. We sat there for a while so that a train heading for Dublin could pass us. We eventually moved off back to just outside the station and reveresed again for no apparent reason. Finally, after an hour just outside Portarlington we managed to move on. I arrived in Portlaoise over an hour late.

As I was exiting the train a large amount of water landed on my head from a light fitting over the luggage area that appeared to be leaking water - lovely!
sandraoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 12:26   #55
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I honestly think IE should be taken to task under consumer protection legislation. You cannot describe commuter trains as "intercity". The "intercity" branding implies a certain level of service. Charging intercity prices for extended trips on commuter trains, which are CLEARLY branded as "commuter" on the sides has to be legally dodgy.

If they're going to continue operating commuter stock to long distance destinations they should at least stop calling them intercity routes and take the PR consequences this will cause.

I have some sympathy for them at the moment as they've a serious shortage of servicable stock, however, once the new DMUs arrive this situation shouldn't continue.

Could you imagine if you were waiting for your Aircoach to Cork and, without any explanation, a 10 year old dublin bus double-decker pulled up instead. I can't imagine passengers would be quite so accepting!

Last edited by MrX : 02-04-2006 at 12:29.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 21:19   #56
MV_001
New to the board

Using Commuter railcars on the Sligo & Rosslare lines is an absolute joke.

Sure the six piece 2800 sets currently on the Rosslare line hold fewer passengers than the "old" MkII sets did !!!! They're far less comfortable, have feck-all luggage space and are quite simply not designed for or intended for long distance Intercity services. At the very least fares to Sligo & Rosslare should be reduced in line with the reduction in quality of service provided.

One can only hope that when the first of the new Rotem Intercity Railcars arrive IE might deploy the freed-up MkII & MkIII sets back on the Sligo or Rosslare routes.

I'm not holding my breath though......
MV_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 08:33   #57
TomB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_001
At the very least fares to Sligo & Rosslare should be reduced in line with the reduction in quality of service provided.
To be fair, Sligo and Rosslare intercity fares are significantly lower than other intercity routes, viz: a single fare today to Limerick: €41.50, Rosslare: €19.00, Sligo: €25.00

Taking distances into account that's still almost half price. I appreciate 3 hours on a DMU must (literally) be a pain in the arse but I think it's fair to say that the Sligo and Rosslare routes are not treated like intercity routes, neither in price nor in service.

Would people be prepared to accept intercity fares (e.g. about €43 to Sligo and €36 to Rosslare, single) to have intercity comfort and service?
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2006, 14:43   #58
sean

Just give us back our Mk2ds would be fine. Fares aren't exactly Ryanair-esque out here either, and there's no way the present "service" justifies it.
Unread 05-04-2006, 20:58   #59
MV_001
New to the board

To be fair, Sligo and Rosslare intercity fares are significantly lower than other intercity routes, viz: a single fare today to Limerick: €41.50, Rosslare: €19.00, Sligo: €25.00

True enough, but the quality of service was clearly reduced & fares stayed the same !!!!
MV_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2006, 22:09   #60
John J
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
Just give us back our Mk2ds would be fine. Fares aren't exactly Ryanair-esque out here either, and there's no way the present "service" justifies it.
Is it just me or are Sligo line passenger numbers falling?
On Wednesday's 1700 Dublin-Sligo for instance, I had two coaches all to myself arriving into Longford. It's been a long time since I've seen that many empty seats on a Sligo train.
There's still the commuter traffic as far as Longford, but there seems to be very little after that, apart from at weekends - all the "optional" travellers must be taking to their cars or Bus Eireann.
They might yet have a case to truncate the line at Longford/Mullingar and cease this farce

Spent 24 hours of this week on 29000 class railcars.... commuting was always bad but since the Mk2s have gone it's unbearable.... ah well driving test must be coming up soon

Last edited by John J : 08-04-2006 at 22:13.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote