Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-08-2012, 16:39   #1
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Default August Bank Holiday Weekend

Just had a look at the IR website and theres a lot of trains sold out already.

ALL trains to and from Rosslare are sold out on Monday!!! There will be a lot of angry people.

If only some trains were longer.....
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 16:47   #2
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

They used to provide extra/relief trains on the Rosslare route at Bank Holiday weekends. While they can't provide 6-car 22k trains, they could run one or two extra trains: the line is not exactly at full capacity on a Bank Holiday and there are loads of 3-car 22k sets now.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 17:37   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Rosslare trains are not sold out as there are no bookings being taken due inability to confirm 22k availability on specific services at this time.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 19:00   #4
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Somebody for Irish Rail should go on a customer service course. How difficult would it be show the "not bookable" status on these trains?

Irish people are used to this sort of vagueness and uncertainty but they must be losing tourism trade when people try to book a train before they travel to Ireland, assume it is booked out and book a bus instead.

It is like this with everything at Irish Rail - little details not picked up on. Things like their endless inability to make the gents toilet at Connolly work properly, make the audible announcements work, make WiFi work, keep trains clean, have booking offices open their posted hours - the list goes on.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 20:50   #5
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Rosslare trains are not sold out as there are no bookings being taken due inability to confirm 22k availability on specific services at this time.
1340 Limerick today shown as sold out - hardly encourages business !
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 21:09   #6
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Well, the 1340 Limerick to-day was scheduled to go via Nenagh due to line closure at Oola. It means that you get to Limerick after the bus connection from the 1400 Cork at Limerick Junction. Maybe it's a plot to make sure numbers are kept low on the Nenagh line (not that they have to do much more to ensure that....)
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:33   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
1340 Limerick today shown as sold out - hardly encourages business !
booked out with only 20-30 souls on board???

i assume that if it is not possible to reserve a seat on the train it just shows as booked out, bonkers stuff.
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:42   #8
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
booked out with only 20-30 souls on board???

i assume that if it is not possible to reserve a seat on the train it just shows as booked out, bonkers stuff.
How do you buy a ticket online on a train that is booked out, even if it clearly isn't ?
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:00   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
How do you buy a ticket online on a train that is booked out, even if it clearly isn't ?
well, you cant. what they should say is that booking is not possible on this train instead of booked out.

anyway. not every seat is bookable.

and, whilst I'm at it, I have noticed the return of the booked seat leaflet in the 22ks being left on the seat instead of the the screen above the seat being used.
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:09   #10
Jamie2k9

Quote:
and, whilst I'm at it, I have noticed the return of the booked seat leaflet in the 22ks being left on the seat instead of the the screen above the seat being used.
This is becoming more common over the last while and I think its more affective as it clearly lets people know the seats booked. A lot of people find the LED screens hard to read on the ICR's as there are not as bright and clear as the Mark 4's.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 19:15   #11
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Thrown out of my seat on a 22k today by passenger waving a reservation for the seat I was occupying - no indication electronic or otherwise that the seat was reserved or indeed that that portion of the train contained reserved accommodation. Very messy, people with reservations shouldn't have hassle accessing the seats they have reserved while people who have not reserved seats (and often paid a premium walk up fare) should have some indication of what is reserved and what isn't.
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:31   #12
James Howard

This happened to me a while ago on an almost empty Sligo train - no indication at all. I refused to move as I had unpacked my laptop and stuff and the train was almost empty 5 minutes before departure.

I don't see why I should move if Irish Rail screwed up - it is up to them to make good the inconvenience to either the person having to move or the passenger with the reservation.

Even if they were to put a notice on the car that has the reservations (I think it is the one nearest the exits in Connolly) that would be a bit of a help.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote