Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-08-2008, 11:53   #1
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Default Ridiculous Fares ?

A relative wanted to go to Carrick on Suir from Heuston last Monday (one-way). Enquired fare from IE, and was told €45.50. Given that Waterford, which is the same distance from Dublin has a corresponding fare of €25.50, that looks a bit steep: if fact if one were connecting at Waterford it would pay to buy a separate Carrick ticket there.

Now for the hard bit. The IE on-line timetable, when asked for all Dublin-Waterford services, lists in addition to direct services, those with connections from Limerick Junction. One of those leaves Heuston at 1400, with L Jcn arrival at 1541 and departing connection to Waterford at 1546. So I presume that one could travel to Waterford for €25.50 on the advertised service leaving Heuston at 1400. This train stops at Carrick on Suir (1701). So is it somehow illegal to hop off the train at Carrick on Suir?

I can see that the different pricing structure for the Cork and Waterford lines is at the root of this, but the implications for stations on the connecting line from L Jcn to Waterford can be ludicrous.

Two other points: (i) A return from Carrick on Suir to Dublin is €21.50 according to a notice at Carrick Station. Good: evidence of someone trying to promote greater usage. (ii) the line - uniquely on the entire IE system - is closed on Sundays. This means that is is next to useless for weekenders, and for many tourists, etc. Given that the line is never going to be much use for business travellers, surely opening on Sundays - even for a couple of afternoon trains - would have the potential to incease usage enormously.

Last edited by ACustomer : 21-08-2008 at 12:02.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2008, 12:13   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We have known about this difference

http://www.railusers.ie/podcasts/13022008.php
http://www.railusers.ie/news/news.ph...2008&no=6.html

Whats worse is if you try to buy online from Carrick to Dublin it doesn't give the discounted option. Irish Rail say this is due to a local discount, however the local discount from Cork and Kerry is in the system.

Moves are afoot for a train every 2 hours weekdays, new signaling, automated level crossings which will pave the way for Sunday by slashing the staff costs
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2008, 19:25   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Last I checked tickets unless endorsed otherwise are only valid for the most direct route, so a ticket from Heuston to Waterford can't be used via Limerick Junction...
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2008, 19:29   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its legal do Dublin Waterford via Limerick Junction when it would be the faster route compared to going via Kilkenny

Done it myself

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 21-08-2008 at 19:31.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote