Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Nenagh Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 20-02-2012, 19:37   #101
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

I just went back upthread and noted that doherty_jack had flagged up the Roscrea issue before - oops.

I just did a spin around Roscrea Stn in Street View - trying for an access on the east/south side of the track without a footbridge looks dicey, I don't think the road safety folks would be wild about an access from the road north of/parallel to the platform. The OSI 25" does indicate a footbridge did exist at one point but even if it still did it would mean telling the mobility impaired to get stuffed.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 19:48   #102
neoncircles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
There was Kilmastulla shale traffic as well as the passenger up to recently and they didn't spend a bob on the track for years so I guess it stayed off the beancounter radar that way.

EDIT:
Limerick dep 1705
Ballybrophy arr 1904 (terminates)
Ballybrophy dep 1919
Heuston arr 2028

Seems odd that they are allowing 15 minutes in the evening - for the morning 0625 departure only nine minutes is deemed sufficient for the connection. A 1711 departure isn't much but it might at least let some Plassey people make it to Castleconnell. Also I note there is no timetabled speed increase on the branch despite rumours elsewhere that it might be forthcoming.

There's another oddity in the 1705 service - no stop at Roscrea but the journey time between Cloughjordan and Ballybrophy is timetabled for four minutes LONGER. Shome mishtake shurely.
I don't think you'll find any plassey people going to Castleconnell for a train- when there is a very frequent bus from Castletroy to the City Centre which stops 5 minutes from the station.
neoncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 19:53   #103
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Some strange goings on over the weekend. The NTA were very clear that no application had been made (and since that email is under FOI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTA 9:45am 17/2/2012
The Authority has not received a request in respect of Irish Rail's schedule on the Nenagh line.
So you can guess what happened next.

Anyone with an annual ticket, bare with us for 48 hours and we will get the formal position confirmed, but a full refund of the remaining months is due

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 20-02-2012 at 19:58.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 20:36   #104
doherty jack
Regular Poster

Default irishrail.ie

HomeFares & TicketsTimetables & Service UpdatesTravel & Station InformationNewsHome >News >News >
In this section
NewsService Updates ArchiveSpecial OffersNews ArchiveNenagh, Limerick and Commuter service improvements, from 5th March 2012
20 February 2012

A new morning direct Intercity rail service from Nenagh and Roscrea amongst others to Dublin will commence on 5th March.

The new service is one of a number of changes which will benefit rail customers from the Nenagh branch line, serving Castleconnell, Birdhill, Nenagh, Roscrea and Cloughjordan. There will also be improvements to Limerick/Dublin services and Kildare commuter services as a result, following approval of changes by the National Transport Authority.

The new service and service changes which take effect from Monday 5th March are:

- New 05.15 Limerick to Dublin via Nenagh service (Mon-Fri), serving Castleconnell (05.31), Birdhill (05.40), Nenagh (06.04), Cloughjordan (06.21) and Roscrea (06.38) arriving in Dublin Heuston at 08.25.

- The new 05.15 Limerick to Dublin via Nenagh service will also serve Ballybrophy (07.01), Portlaoise (07.16), Sallins (07.58), Hazelhatch (08.07) and Adamstown (08.12), giving a new morning commuter train for these towns.

- New direct 13.40 Heuston to Limerick service daily (Mon to Sat) serving Portlaoise (14.39), Thurles (15.08) and arriving in Limerick at 15.50.

- Nenagh branch customers will now connect off the 17.05 Heuston to Tralee service in the evenings at Ballybrophy (departs Ballybrophy 18.20), replacing the existing connection off the 17.25 Heuston to Limerick service

- A new additional evening connection will be provided for Nenagh branch customers off the 18.00 Heuston to Cork service at Ballybrophy (departs Ballybrophy at 19.15)

- The existing 16.45 Limerick to Ballybrophy via Nenagh service will be rescheduled to depart at 16.05, arriving at Ballybrophy at 18.00, and connecting with the 18.16 Ballybrophy to Dublin Heuston service.

- The existing 17.45 Limerick to Nenagh commuter service will now be rescheduled to depart at 17.05 from Limerick to Nenagh, and will continue to Cloughjordan and Ballybrophy also.

- The existing 10.05 Ballybrophy to Limerick via Nenagh will now arrive in Limerick at 11.59, and the 12.00 Limerick to Limerick Junction will now depart at 12.02, to allow a connection between these two trains.

The service changes will increase connections between Dublin and Nenagh from two each way currently to four Nenagh to Dublin connections and three Dublin to Nenagh connections daily.

Fares for customers travelling from Nenagh and Roscrea to Dublin are:

Nenagh-Dublin

Adult Single: €25.50

Adult Day Return: €26.00

Adult Open Return: €33.00

Student Single: €17.50

Student Open Return: €25.00

Child fares: 50% of adult fare rounded down to nearest 50c

Roscrea-Dublin

Adult Single: €24.00

Adult Day Return: €24.50

Adult Open Return: €32.00

Student Single: €14.50

Student Open Return: €20.90

Child fares: 50% of adult fare rounded down to nearest 50c

Full details of new schedule from 5th March for Dublin to Limerick via Nenagh
doherty jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 20:37   #105
Traincustomer

Default Apparent timetable anomaly

Looking at the timetable it is puzzling that the 19.15 weekdays journey ex Ballybrophy is allowed thirty two minutes from Ballybrophy to Roscrea.
(departs Roscrea 19.48 so hence arrival is presumed at 19.47hrs.)

Nineteen minutes is the norm for this section for all other Limerick-bound trains.

There's no crossing of another train. Unless some aspect of signalling can account for this it seems strange.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 20-02-2012 at 20:38. Reason: titling of piece
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 20:43   #106
doherty jack
Regular Poster

Default crossing trains at roscrea

they do cross at roscrea 17.05pm limerick - ballybrophy and 18.20pm ballybrophy - limerick at 18.40pm approx
Unread 20-02-2012, 20:47   #107
doherty jack
Regular Poster

Quote:
I just went back upthread and noted that doherty_jack had flagged up the Roscrea issue before - oops.

I just did a spin around Roscrea Stn in Street View - trying for an access on the east/south side of the track without a footbridge looks dicey, I don't think the road safety folks would be wild about an access from the road north of/parallel to the platform. The OSI 25" does indicate a footbridge did exist at one point but even if it still did it would mean telling the mobility impaired to get stuffed.
a Ramp should be from the Roadbridge that would - except there is a long walk from the booking office to the bridge !so that would work , a footbridge should be put there , there is plenty of footbridges that have been replaced by modern ones around the ireland ! eg .Cahir,athenry,Portarlington
Unread 20-02-2012, 20:53   #108
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doherty jack View Post
they do cross at roscrea 17.05pm limerick - ballybrophy and 18.20pm ballybrophy - limerick at 18.40pm approx
Hi, I'm aware that the 17.05 Limerick-Ballybrophy and 18.20 Ballybrophy - Limerick will cross at Roscrea but must respectfully point out that my post doesn't refer to these trains in any way.

It's the 19.15 Ballybrophy-Limerick and why it needs a full thirty-two minutes to travel from Ballybrophy to Roscrea that I'm questioning (the other trains take nineteen minutes).

There is no other passenger train at Roscrea at 19.48 apart from the 19.15 Ballybrophy-Limerick.

Unless there is an empty stock movement or signalling reason this extra time seems quite wasteful.

PS: when was the footbridge at Cahir replaced by a new one? I travelled to Cahir by train last month. The old footbridge was there and sealed off from use - in any case the far platform is disused and has no track. I'm really surprised at this development.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 20-02-2012 at 20:58.
Unread 20-02-2012, 23:09   #109
dowlingm

Quote:
a Ramp should be from the Roadbridge that would - except there is a long walk from the booking office to the bridge !so that would work , a footbridge should be put there , there is plenty of footbridges that have been replaced by modern ones around the ireland ! eg .Cahir,athenry,Portarlington
But you can't just put a footbridge any more if you want to have passengers traverse it - it must be either ramped or have elevators. By the time you built a ramp down from the roadbridge (assuming it would be allowed from the POV of road safety) the length of the remaining platform might not be long enough to park a 22x3. It might be cheaper to install CTC and relocate the loops out of the platform.

Traincustomer - perhaps they are adding some extra time to allow for lateness of the inbound train(s)?
Unread 21-02-2012, 09:42   #110
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
It's the 19.15 Ballybrophy-Limerick and why it needs a full thirty-two minutes to travel from Ballybrophy to Roscrea that I'm questioning (the other trains take nineteen minutes).

There is no other passenger train at Roscrea at 19.48 apart from the 19.15 Ballybrophy-Limerick.

Unless there is an empty stock movement or signalling reason this extra time seems quite wasteful.
Two comments which are relevant to timings and operation at Roscrea.

The extended interval beteeen the arrival at Ballybrophy of the 1705 from Dublin and the departure of the 1820 to Limerick seems unnecessary. I can't see why this train shouldn't be away by 1805 although it would have to wait at Roscrea for the 1705 from Limerick. Mind the additional time at Roscrea could be used to shunt from one platform to the other thus allowing the 1705 from Limerick to serve the station. At least this way Roscrea passengers get home ten minutes earlier and there would be additional evening service to Dublin.

As regards the 1915 from Ballybrophy, this train would also seem to linger unnecessarily in Ballybrophy, although it will have to wait at Roscrea in any event until the preceding service reaches Birdhill. It might in fact be more sensible for this train to connect with the 1900 from Dublin and thus have a clear path through Roscrea, departing Ballybrophy at say 2013 providing both a more balanced and faster service.

As regards the 0515 from Limerick, does this train really have to take 84 minutes to cover the 66 miles from Ballybrophy ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-02-2012, 11:07   #111
Jamie2k9

Quote:
As regards the 0515 from Limerick, does this train really have to take 84 minutes to cover the 66 miles from Ballybrophy ?
It the only way to add the service. 08.10, 08.15 and 08.20 arrivals in Heuston then the 08.25 arrival from Limerick.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-02-2012, 15:06   #112
dowlingm

I would think that the good people of Cork, Mallow, Charleville etc. should henceforth be granted 2 minutes more in bed and their 0505 train allowed to forgo calling at Ballybrophy seeing as the new service will be following close behind.

Inniskeen - the 1630 ex Cork arrives Ballybrophy 1816.
Unread 21-02-2012, 19:06   #113
Traincustomer

That's a worthwhile idea there Inniskeen regarding shuttling between the platforms at Roscrea. Could there be any signalling issues that could preclude this happening in practice?

I couldn't put my finger on it regarding the 19.15 ex Ballybrophy not departing Roscrea till 19.48!

What these improvements to the timetable do highlight is the high number of constraints.

Would imagine that the new services would have to prove themselves before things like a direct curve to the mainline at Ballybrophy could be considered. Such a project doubtless would cost a few hundred thousand euro at least with attendant requirements to change signalling.

Thinking it through further if the above was implemented it would facilitate slightly faster through trains and the branch train running to/from Portlaoise instead (has a south-facing bay that could be made operational again).

That could in turn entail economic thought requiring slight savings by removing the bay trackwork at Ballybrophy though commonsense thinking would say to leave it be to allow maximum operational flexibility.
Unread 21-02-2012, 20:22   #114
doherty jack
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
Hi, I'm aware that the 17.05 Limerick-Ballybrophy and 18.20 Ballybrophy - Limerick will cross at Roscrea but must respectfully point out that my post doesn't refer to these trains in any way.

PS: when was the footbridge at Cahir replaced by a new one? I travelled to Cahir by train last month. The old footbridge was there and sealed off from use - in any case the far platform is disused and has no track. I'm really surprised at this development.
because the section between birdhill and roscrea wont be cleared ! and it will be waiting in roscrea a while ! im saying that footbridge at CAhir is dised and unneeded!sorry about that
Unread 21-02-2012, 20:34   #115
doherty jack
Regular Poster

Default ***Crossings at Roscrea***

18.20 ballybrophy /limerick goes into mainline at roscrea

17.05 Limerick/Ballybrophy goes into Loop line at Roscrea

BUT 18.20pm ONLY RUNS MONDAY-FRIDAY which begs the question is the on Saturday .what will be done?

17.05pm MONDAY -SATURDAY so on saturday will the train stop at Roscrea?

its not marked on the timetable as a saturday only service where it stops at Roscrea as well.......
Unread 21-02-2012, 20:37   #116
doherty jack
Regular Poster

Quote:
I would think that the good people of Cork, Mallow, Charleville etc. should henceforth be granted 2 minutes more in bed and their 0505 train allowed to forgo calling at Ballybrophy seeing as the new service will be following close behind.
the engineers removed the link a few years ago! it was a danger becuase the cross over from the down line to the up line for access to the NEnagh line ,the crossovers were both facing points!

Last edited by Colm Moore : 22-02-2012 at 02:15. Reason: [QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Unread 21-02-2012, 20:46   #117
karlr42

Quote:
Would imagine that the new services would have to prove themselves before things like a direct curve to the mainline at Ballybrophy could be considered.
Maybe the existing commuter services should have had to prove themselves before things like these new services were considered.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-02-2012, 21:35   #118
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:

Inniskeen - the 1630 ex Cork arrives Ballybrophy 1816.
Ok, fair enough, although I doubt the potential transfers off the 1630 from Cork are likely to justify the wait.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-02-2012, 22:02   #119
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
Ok, fair enough, although I doubt the potential transfers off the 1630 from Cork are likely to justify the wait.
I also doubt it, but no doubt the thin gruel of justification sent to NTA couldn't resist adding it.
Unread 24-02-2012, 12:56   #120
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Irish Rail have confirmed they will refund all remaining months on any annual ticket effected by this change

Contact the Taxsaver office and include a note with the refund request to say you can no longer travel due timetable change
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote