Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-07-2007, 17:24   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default [Article] Passengers satisfied with Enterprise rail

You would laugh if it wasn't so serious.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0705/transport1.html
Quote:
Passengers satisfied with Enterprise rail
Thursday, 5 July 2007 16:11

A new survey shows that punctuality ratings for the Enterprise cross-border rail service have improved.

Independent monitoring also found nine out of 10 passengers expressed satisfaction with the route.

Results for the Enterprise service, which is jointly operated by Iarnród Éireann and Northern Ireland Railways, were based on research carried out during November 2006.

The monitoring focused on achievements relating to standards set out in the Enterprise's Passenger Charter.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 20:25   #2
zag
Regular Poster

Default Satisfaction with the route ?

Of course, if you phrase your questions correctly you will get the answers you want . . .

"Are you satisfied with the route taken by the Enterprise between Dublin & Belfast ?"

Of course 9 out of 10 people are going to say yes. The 10th probably wanted it routed via Sligo, Bundoran, Derry & on to Belfast, but as the man says . . . . there's always one. Yes, I know the track isn't there, but that isn't going to stop yer man from wanting it.

Or they could have asked "Would you prefer if the Enterprise went from Dublin-Ballina, or are you satisfied with it going between Dublin & Belfast ?"

Asking this to passengers on a train somewhere between Dublin & Belfast is likely to result in at least a 90% satisfaction with the current routing. Asking this to people on the Ballina train might yield a different result.

God, you've gotta love surveys like this.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 07:15   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Of course we can't find a copy of this charter and from my own limited experience I wouldn't be recommending it to anyone
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:59   #4
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

And who carried out this independant survey?

Did they ask people if they caught the train they were expecting - a proper train or a commuter railcar put on instead of it?

Did they ask people about the ride quality, or the frequent breakdown in Air Con?

Guess not.
Unread 07-07-2007, 01:06   #5
James Shields

Well, there's no doubt it's more reliable than it was. Not that that's saying a lot.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 19:42   #6
NIR person
New to the board

If it is any help the translink passenger charter is here:

http://www.translink.co.uk/peoplescharter.asp

I had to find it via google, there is no easy way to find it on the translink site itself
NIR person is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 08:12   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Thats no good since enterprise has a separate one, http://www.translink.co.uk/enterprisecharter.asp You won't find any details on the IE site other than its available at stations

Of course its dated as 2004 and was to be revised in 2005

Three Enterprise stations later, only 1 could produce the 2004 charter, none could produce anything more recent

Note Philip O'Neill is now Chief Exec NIR and Dick Fearn Chief Exec IE, not the names given on the charter
Unread 10-07-2007, 09:26   #8
tigger1962

Default Survey

Hi Folks,
i was one of the people that was questioned for the survey! It early last november. i can't remember all the questions, but quite a few were related to the catering on board They did ask about punctuality and comfort and what we thought of the customer service. What makes it funny from my view as it was not long after this survey that things really went down hill!! I am presuming they are only announcing the survey now in order to give the impression that people are happy with the service! If they did the same survey again today, I would be a lot more negative. My biggest problem to date is Iarnrod Eireanns lack of customer service especially in relation to Translink! My experience is such that you can tell immediately what company the person works for just by their manner!!! In that survey i did express my satisfaction for Translink customer Service but they didn't ask me about IE!! Thye said the survey was for Translink!
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 09:41   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Thanks for that Tigger, your post just shows that this "survey" is what I thought it was - just an exerise in spin.

This is the sort of thing that I enjoy seeing time and again and i often ask myself this question: who is this aimed at? It surely cannot be the customers, who know that the service is terrible and will naturally disbelieve this story. It cannot be the people who drive instead due to heavy anecdotal evidence of the appalling situation. It must be therfore be aimed at the powers that be in the departments - they dont take the train and they may have no contact with it at all, excepet from seeing reports like this one.

You will also notice that there are others who will also simply swallow any line given out by a rail company. There's one on IRN telling me to stop moaning about this issue and we heard from one yesterday on newstalk after Mark was on making a point that was not only irrelevant but also surprisingly helpful to the company.
Unread 10-07-2007, 10:25   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well I rarely use enterprise but last three journeys, one in May, two in June.

1. Train operated by 3CK, no catering in front coaches, conductor was in full uniform and name badge. Train ran perfectly to time

2. Seat reservation cards missing and outdated ones in place, interior in need of deep clean, at least one toliet locked out of use. Ride was awful including a latteral sway which recorded as 0.93m/s^2 just short of 1G which is scary. Train guard not in full uniform and missing name badge. Train was 3 or 4 minutes late enroute

3. Seat reservation cards missing and outdated ones in place, interior in need of deep clean, seat cushion wasn't attached to the seat. Train guard not in full uniform and missing name badge. Depending on which timetable you check we where either 4 minutes late or 1 minute early.

Evidence from the ground indicates
1. Frequent use of alternative trains lacking facilities, at least on the Cork line the replacement can match the speed, catering, comfort and even provide first. Hard evidence exists for this

2. Condition of enterprise coaches substandard, interiors need a deep clean, just have a look at the window areas, exteriors are covered in filler

3. Ride is dire, senior IE people where at pains to tell us the Mk4 is better than Enterprise and we agree, the measurements agree. DeDetrich have been over and failed to produce a solution despite serious modifications.

4. It took several years to solve the parking brake issue, looks fixed now but who knows

5. Locomotive issues continue at a reduced rate but still frequently delays owing to the need to change engines.

6. Journey times are plain rubbish and thats primarly a issue for NIR as they have more speed restrictions than IE do, the record Belfast Dublin is 97 minutes held by a steam engine

7. Horror stories of being stranded, no air conditioning etc, no shortage of media coverage on this

8. Golorified commuter setvice, when it suits IE and NIR the train is downgraded to a stopping commuter service
Unread 11-07-2007, 02:42   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Ride was awful including a latteral sway which recorded as 0.93m/s^2 just short of 1G which is scary.
Isn't g = 9.81 m/s^2
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 11:41   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Isn't g = 9.81 m/s^2
Fair cop

Key fact is its twice the worst we have seen on the trusty Mk3, very bad bump

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 11-07-2007 at 11:49.
Unread 11-07-2007, 11:49   #13
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

(in joke removed, just in case you thought this was a serious post)

More half truths and lies from you!!! I have had enough, I'm going!*

* this may also be another in-joke

Last edited by Thomas J Stamp : 11-07-2007 at 13:35.
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote