Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-02-2018, 20:52   #1
Southern Jack
New to the board

Default Adamstown issues?

Hi All,

Moving to south Lucan (Dodsboro) shortly. Strongly considering using Adamstown station to get to Pearse. I took a trip out there today and was amazed that there was perhaps only 20 or so cars there. I know the town itself is underpopulated, just wondering if there's anything else I'm missing as it's so close to Lucan yet underused? I do also note trains run far less frequently there. Just wondering if there's anything else I should look out for? Also is it ever a case commuter trains are too full by the time they get to Adamstown hence cannot let people on?

Thanks v much
SJ
Southern Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2018, 17:19   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jack View Post
Hi All,

Moving to south Lucan (Dodsboro) shortly. Strongly considering using Adamstown station to get to Pearse. I took a trip out there today and was amazed that there was perhaps only 20 or so cars there. I know the town itself is underpopulated, just wondering if there's anything else I'm missing as it's so close to Lucan yet underused? I do also note trains run far less frequently there. Just wondering if there's anything else I should look out for? Also is it ever a case commuter trains are too full by the time they get to Adamstown hence cannot let people on?

Thanks v much
SJ
The number of cars has increased since PPT services started but yes usage is low but increasing. Its served by all Portaloise (hourly) and extra GCD and Newbridge/Portlaise at peak hours and one of the best stations for service compared to others. Trains will be busy but not full, if you catch the Pearse service which start in Hazelhatch they will be less busy.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-02-2018, 07:52   #3
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Trains starting from Hazelhatch are essentially empty arriving at Adamstown. Up to about two years ago there would often be barely one car in the station car park. There is huge scope for service expansion at Adamstown as demand increases although the number of trains into Connolly will continue to be limited by limited capacity there. Expansion of service frequency to Heuston or into the Docklands area would not be a mammoth undertaking subject only to rolling stok and crew resources.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-02-2018, 12:14   #4
James Shields

Running PPT trains to Docklands is problematic, as currently only the Midland line can serve that station. Either Glasnevin Junction would need to be redesigned to let PPT trains access the Midland line (which I believe is problematic), or the Drumcondra line would have to be linked to Docklands station somehow, which looks possible, at least to one platform, though would involve a fairly tight curve.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-02-2018, 15:36   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jack View Post
I took a trip out there today and was amazed that there was perhaps only 20 or so cars there.
Did you go as far as the car park? It has about 300 spaces.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25...33682/-6.47210

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/adamstown

There are also buses.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey...tables/25b311/

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey...metables/25d2/
Unread 22-02-2018, 15:41   #6
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

There is never anybody in the car park besides the bus turning. The few cars just park on the access road down towards the car park in those spaces next to the platform.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-02-2018, 17:43   #7
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Shields View Post
Running PPT trains to Docklands is problematic, as currently only the Midland line can serve that station. Either Glasnevin Junction would need to be redesigned to let PPT trains access the Midland line (which I believe is problematic), or the Drumcondra line would have to be linked to Docklands station somehow, which looks possible, at least to one platform, though would involve a fairly tight curve.
An obvious approch would be for both Maynooth and PPT trains to run into a greatly expanded Docklands station, the PPT trains via Drumcondra and North Strand Junction and Maynooth/M3 trains via Newcomen Junction. This would be a good operational solution as it would eliminate almost all of the existing traffic conflicts without the expense, disruption, compromises and impracticalities of DART underground. More radically the expanded Docklands station would be underground or at least have underground platforms with electric trains continuing in tunnel to Pearse.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2018, 14:51   #8
Southern Jack
New to the board

Hi Guys,

I just want to say thanks for your responses. I am going to do a dry run tomorrow for my piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Did you go as far as the car park? It has about 300 spaces.
Colm, yes I did go as far as the car park. There was a Garda car there and also two or three cars in the car park. But as other posters said cars were double parked next to the station.

Thanks for your input everyone, much appreciated.

SJ
Southern Jack is offline   Reply With Quote