Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-04-2007, 23:33   #21
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
At this moment i would like to say hello to Rita and Hugh, two of my colleages in the CIE Solicitors Department. Hope you're kepping well.

Ah Stamp, you're mad.

Mark, can you lock the thread off from the CIE server.

These incidents are increasing and its alarming. IEs inconsistancies are the route cause of many problems. I frequently travel on the Kildare line between Sallins and Heuston. Sallins is generally unstaffed. Tickets are usually purchased on the train. In the afternoons there is rarely a checker on board the train so I can't buy a ticket. On arrival at Heuston tickets are not checked. On the return journey in the late evening, I can buy a single ticket from a TVM. This ticket is rarely checked, if ever as the platform gate is unstaffed and there's no checker on board.

Legally, Im supposed to have a ticket for my inward journey. But I cant buy that ticket in Heuston from a TVM. I could go to the ticket office, but at that point, there is no proof that I travelled in on the train, if I decide not to. In general IE make it hard for themselves and their customers. FACT.

My one serious gripe with Mr. Byrnes responses to the OP (who is a dissatisfied customer of IE) is the tone. He is behaving in an arrogant and agressive manner and lacks any sort of customer service skills, while blatantly ignoring the issue of an early train being the cause of the incident in question. My advice is to put it in writing to the line manager, the CEO, politicians and the DOT. Then refuse to pay the fine until all your complaints are addressed and verified in an open and accountable manner. Furthermore does the booth in Connolly on P4, clearly state that its "only" for ticket purchases from unstaffed stations?
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 23:42   #22
andyl222
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post

Ah Stamp, you're mad.

Mark, can you lock the thread off from the CIE server.

These incidents are increasing and its alarming. IEs inconsistancies are the route cause of many problems. I frequently travel on the Kildare line between Sallins and Heuston. Sallins is generally unstaffed. Tickets are usually purchased on the train. In the afternoons there is rarely a checker on board the train so I can't buy a ticket. On arrival at Heuston tickets are not checked. On the return journey in the late evening, I can buy a single ticket from a TVM. This ticket is rarely checked, if ever as the platform gate is unstaffed and there's no checker on board.

Legally, Im supposed to have a ticket for my inward journey. But I cant buy that ticket in Heuston from a TVM. I could go to the ticket office, but at that point, there is no proof that I travelled in on the train, if I decide not to. In general IE make it hard for themselves and their customers. FACT.

My one serious gripe with Mr. Byrnes responses to the OP (who is a dissatisfied customer of IE) is the tone. He is behaving in an arrogant and agressive manner and lacks any sort of customer service skills, while blatantly ignoring the issue of an early train being the cause of the incident in question. My advice is to put it in writing to the line manager, the CEO, politicians and the DOT. Then refuse to pay the fine until all your complaints are addressed and verified in an open and accountable manner. Furthermore does the booth in Connolly on P4, clearly state that its "only" for ticket purchases from unstaffed stations?
The inconsistancies you mention seem to be rife throughout the organisation, its ridiculous to think that a country with such a level of wealth and affluence can still run its rail service with this hamfisted attitude. Rules are rules till they're too difficult to enforce,then they're treated with indifference.

The ticket booth on platform 4.....It's apparently not a ticket booth at all.... hahahahah. as ridiculous as it sounds, Mr. Byrne told me I was unreasonable to believe I could have bought a ticket there after boarding the train in coolmine, so as far as I know its just a booth to fine people. This logic defies me.

I would agree with you in reference to Mr. Byrne's tone throughout our recent correspondence. It would seem as soon as I place a valid argument in front of Mr. Byrne it gets ignored in favour of some more minor point with which he has issue. His attempts to intimidate me with farcical insinuations of illegal activity on my part with regard to using one of his past emails against him is just one example of his ever exemplary customer services technique.

Last edited by andyl222 : 04-04-2007 at 23:50.
andyl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 23:44   #23
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

it says "no ticket, come here" honest!!! Like a sign in the Rangers Bar on the Shankill "Celtic supporter? Come here"
Unread 04-04-2007, 23:53   #24
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Default CALLING DOCTOR WHEELER!!!!!!!!

Derek, would you give Steevetee a ring, he's feeling very left out in that monestereving thread
Unread 04-04-2007, 23:57   #25
andyl222
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
it says "no ticket, come here" honest!!! Like a sign in the Rangers Bar on the Shankill "Celtic supporter? Come here"
pretty much, it reminds me of that creature,is it an angler fish? the one with the glowing appendage attached to its head, it lures in victims and then devours them. How would IE react if the booth had posters announcing it to be a booth for fining people placed on the front of the counter out of the attendants line of sight......
Unread 05-04-2007, 00:09   #26
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
The ticket booth on platform 4.....It's apparently not a ticket booth at all.... hahahahah. as ridiculous as it sounds, Mr. Byrne told me I was unreasonable to believe I could have bought a ticket there after boarding the train in coolmine, so as far as I know its just a booth to fine people. This logic defies me.
But he does say that this facility was afforded to passengers who board at unstaffed stations that have no method of ticket purchase. Yet he claims that the big red sign in connolly says no ticket no travel????? Is Byrne on medication or just plain confused about it all. (legal note: this is a genuine question, not a suggestion or accusation) So what do I do if I board at Broombridge. I can't buy a ticket there. So can I pay at the "tardis", sorry, "booth" in connolly?

Therefore it is very easy for customers to assume that you can purchase at the other end for a variety of reasons. Everthing IE state is locked up in terms and conditions and posters that don't explain exceptions. Are customers now expected to do a crash course in IE terms and conditions? Do the posters mention exceptions to the rule? Are IE using the law to cover the fact that their system is confused, mixed up and lacking in any form of customer focused direction? (its neither an honour system or a totally staffed system) Will they introduce random questioning at ticket offices and TVMs?

Customer: Return to Connolly please.
IE staff: Eh bud. Before I can sell you this ticket, can you tell me what rule 5, section 3, paragraph 7 refers to in the terms and conditions of travel?
Customer: You're having a laugh right?
IE staff: Actually pal, Im not. No answer no ticket. Jaysus thats good innit. Might send that to head office wha?

Andy, push it as far as you think you can tolerate. Perhaps you should contact your local paper. Are the Dublin people or Echo in your area? Or you could try the Kildare post as your from Maynooth? I'd gladly help you on that score.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 00:20   #27
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Well, that particular venus fly trap can be neatly avaioded by people who board at boombridge when the hut is closed. So if you were to say you got on at Coolmine you'd be in trouble. Also, for many years Howth Junction was unmanned, so i assume anyone who gets on there will also get a ticket form the venus fly trap and those who admit to getting on elsewhere will get a fine.

This is yet another edition of the arse-ways handbook of doing things by Irish Rail.

How to do it: 1, install TVMs in all stations. 2, install exit validation in all stations, 3, install venus fly trap

How its done: 1, do not install TVMs, thus giving an excuse for not having a ticket, 2, do not install exit validation, agains meaning you can get out without a ticket if station is unmanned, 3, install venus fly trap and cause grief and hassle.

Last edited by Thomas J Stamp : 05-04-2007 at 00:23.
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 07:56   #28
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This thread is now locked out to CIE eyes

I have boarded at Broombridge and paid at the booth, I boarded Seapoint last week booking office closed again paid Connolly no questions asked. I will admit I had a valid monthly in my back pocket but it was a chance to try the system

The guys where out in Pearse this morning at the table
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 08:21   #29
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

The booth in Connolly does say get your ticket here!

I was tempted to go up to the guy this week to get a CIE photo id but I thought he would just fine me for traveling on a monthly pass without the proper ID.

Still waiting for the RPA to send me out my LUAS id, no doubt ill get fined on that too
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 08:52   #30
andyl222
Regular Poster

Hey all, got an email back from Councillor Mc Ginley this morning, he's interested in the time a train would stay stationary at any given station, I assume to verify not only that the train was early but that it also departed from Coolmine early. I know it left early, but does anyone know if there is a set timescale for trains standing at a station? Cheers.
Unread 05-04-2007, 08:58   #31
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No set timescale but of the order of 20-40 second depending on the number of people add 5 more seconds for the time between doors closing and the train moving, of course if the train is early it should sit and wait for the clock

Not enough time to cross bridge get ticket and run back, bare in mind you should never run...

The internal timetable is given to 30 second resolution so if a train is listed as 12:50 it could mean 12:50:30
Unread 05-04-2007, 13:13   #32
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Joan's doing her bit again...... http://www.joanburton.ie/?postid=596

Another bit of ammo against IE when Local TD is calling for change.
clonsilladart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 13:29   #33
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As has been shown elsewhere

The level crossing in Coolmine shows no change in downtime
Access to both platforms is possible with gates down
Tickets are sold from the secondary ticket office during morning peak (hit miss though)
Note serious commuters would have weekly/monthly/annual

Neither of the alleged fare evasion cases resulted from the inability to buy a ticket in Coolmine

Joan of course missed the most obvious issue with a TVM and its staring us in the face from the photo at that link, look carefully

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 05-04-2007 at 13:36.
Unread 05-04-2007, 13:47   #34
clonsilladart
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Joan of course missed the most obvious issue with a TVM and its staring us in the face from the photo at that link, look carefully
No child ticket....... Am i right, Am i right, Am i right?????
clonsilladart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 13:49   #35
markpb

Quote:
Docklands are missing *rolls eyes*
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 13:50   #36
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Docklands are missing *rolls eyes*
Disco, though child/student/social welfare/destinations out of Heuston are all valid
Unread 08-04-2007, 21:40   #37
andyl222
Regular Poster

My fine is due tomorrow.....I've yet to get a response to my last email from Mr. John Byrne
Unread 08-04-2007, 22:12   #38
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You got two choices
1 Pay in person Connolly tomorrow
2 Go to court and it looks like IE are looking forward to that

Now what happens if IE refuse to take your money tomorrow, does that make it null and void??
Unread 09-04-2007, 15:01   #39
andyl222
Regular Poster

Quote:
You got two choices
1 Pay in person Connolly tomorrow
2 Go to court and it looks like IE are looking forward to that

Now what happens if IE refuse to take your money tomorrow, does that make it null and void??
That's a very good question, can they refuse to allow me to pay my fine??? In this instance the banks aren't open today, I don't have access to my account (let's just say, hypothetically), surely they must give me the extra day to pay my fine..... Or maybe as you said Mark, they're quite looking forward to dragging me to court. I'll be sending those registered letters to IE and their public relations office tomorrow morning. I'll wait and see how they get responded to.
Unread 09-04-2007, 15:11   #40
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its corparate communications and I wouldn't bother

Man you want is General Manager Northern and Eastern, his station, his train, all staff on the Maynooth line report to him even the revenue guys