Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-10-2007, 20:38   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Odd on they have a man with a set of clamps ready to catch people
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-10-2007, 20:45   #22
andyl222
Regular Poster

To be honest, i've yet to see a clamper in that particular car-park, its there to facilitate people who work in the general area aswell as shoppers, so I would surmise that cars being parked there from 7am to 6pm lets say, wouldn't be clamped. It'd be interesting to see if anyone on here has ever used that car-park, its 200 yards away so maybe they'd find it easier to park in the estates like Silkenvale or Parklands which are closer to the station.
andyl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-10-2007, 12:28   #23
CSL

As MG says odds on they have clamps to deter this very thing.

It is private and if there's a notice there they can clamp you happily.
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-10-2007, 12:56   #24
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default maynooth car parking

I'm a regular user of the car park because I'm a customer of the Glen Royal Hotel Leisure Centre which share the car park with Super Value and the other shops there.

There are signs regarding long term parking and the consequences thereof which includes clamping. I've seen cars clamped there.

Dunnes Stores/Mill Centre car park monitor and take car reg ensuring one does not park all day.

A multi storey park adjacent to railway station is the only solution.
seamus kilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-10-2007, 17:16   #25
andyl222
Regular Poster

I've yet to see any cars clamped in the carpark to the left of supervalu near the bottle banks... and i pass that spot daily. To be honest they will never build a multi-storey carpark on the banks of the canal, for many many reasons. If someone proposed to do the same in kilcock it would be the same, theres no way planning would be granted. Funnily enough there is a carpark across the canal from the train station thats inaccessible, go figure.

Personally I can't abide the idea that housing estates would be used as carparks, and if it comes down to it, adjacent housing estates i.e parklands and silkenvale may resort to gaining private parking status from the council. If that happens, what will the people who park there and get on the train do?

Last edited by andyl222 : 31-10-2007 at 17:19.
Unread 01-11-2007, 11:47   #26
andyl222
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl222 View Post
I've yet to see any cars clamped in the carpark to the left of supervalu near the bottle banks... and i pass that spot daily. To be honest they will never build a multi-storey carpark on the banks of the canal, for many many reasons. If someone proposed to do the same in kilcock it would be the same, theres no way planning would be granted. Funnily enough there is a carpark across the canal from the train station thats inaccessible, go figure.

Personally I can't abide the idea that housing estates would be used as carparks, and if it comes down to it, adjacent housing estates i.e parklands and silkenvale may resort to gaining private parking status from the council. If that happens, what will the people who park there and get on the train do?
Walked through the supervalu carpark this morning, and I saw signs that warned that over-night parking is prohibited but nothing about parking throughout the day....
Unread 14-11-2007, 19:33   #27
John J
Regular Poster

Thanks all for comments...
Regarding Super Valu carpark, yes I have considered that, but there are signs up saying that cars other than customers will be clamped.

Anyway on the other front, things have developed in the meantime, so I think I'll be taking the car into the city centre from now on and looking for free parking around the summerhill area.

Using the train is a no win situation... and the financial benefits after paying for tickets AND parking are minimal at best when compared with running the car.

I did try to use public transport - but IE have won the battle

If I ever meet John Gormley and he starts ranting on about increasing motor taxes and getting people to use public transport, I'll have a few suggestions for him.
Unread 17-11-2007, 23:06   #28
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
Thanks all for comments...
Regarding Super Valu carpark, yes I have considered that, but there are signs up saying that cars other than customers will be clamped.

Anyway on the other front, things have developed in the meantime, so I think I'll be taking the car into the city centre from now on and looking for free parking around the summerhill area.

Using the train is a no win situation... and the financial benefits after paying for tickets AND parking are minimal at best when compared with running the car.

I did try to use public transport - but IE have won the battle

If I ever meet John Gormley and he starts ranting on about increasing motor taxes and getting people to use public transport, I'll have a few suggestions for him.
A perfect example of how poor public transport/bad planning has consigned so many to the car.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2007, 23:08   #29
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
How about extending the Maynooth line about 5 miles West and building a massive M4 Park n Ride there? That would sort out the problems and likely be cheaper than trying to squeeze more parking spaces into Maynooth.

The OP is from Longford as per the location in his profile. And yes, the Longford service is kinda rubbish IMO and I don't envy anyone who has to use it, certainly I would wonder why so many (enough to justify a train service) actually do that commute ...
Re-read thread and looked at a map. (I also know the area) Seans idea is a runner. No doubt about it. I encourage others to consider it.
Unread 17-11-2007, 23:33   #30
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Not sure what is being proposed here - a new spur to a dedicated M4 P&R or doubletracking the existing Maynooth-Kilcock stretch (about three and a half miles) and making it the future DART terminus, perhaps moving Kilcock station a little way out of town to get enough parking?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-11-2007, 14:31   #31
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Not sure what is being proposed here - a new spur to a dedicated M4 P&R or doubletracking the existing Maynooth-Kilcock stretch (about three and a half miles) and making it the future DART terminus, perhaps moving Kilcock station a little way out of town to get enough parking?
Yes, I suggesting extending the twin track and soon to be electrified "Maynooth Line" about 5 miles down the existing line to Sligo, and putting a Park & Ride station there.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-11-2007, 00:39   #32
Derek Wheeler

I must say that this actually works for me. Great big motorway and rail line beside it. New P n R could solve it. Brilliant in its simplicity.
Unread 19-11-2007, 06:35   #33
Colm R
Regular Poster

Sounds like a great idea. I've recently being looking at houses in Kilcock.

Its almost impossible to find a house within comfortable walking distance (for winter time) of the station. Extending the future Dart to a P&R on the M4 between Kilcock and Maynooth with an absolute gurantee that Kildare Co Council will not do the cynical Irish thing and allow major development around the P&R. Apart from the station, and the car park, it has to remain untouched.

Also, services have to remain in Maynooth at present levels. A country which has a good public transport system is a country where you can own a car and choose not to use it and equally survive without one. Germany anyone!!!

I can't see NTR objecting to it, as the site would be between the toll bridge and the Dublin so tolls would continue to be collected.

So wonderful idea. Everybody wins. More cars off the N4, more passengers increasing revenue. Will it happen.

You'll have to forgive my attitude to towards all things Irish this morning in this post and other ones. Its been a long night shift!!!
Colm R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-11-2007, 20:30   #34
Prof_Vanderjuice

The Kilcock park-and-ride thing has actually been looked at in the past. I remember the 2000 Scott Wilson report on Dublin Bus (and Bus Éireann within the Greater Dublin Area) mentioned it in passing: http://www.dublinbus.ie/about_us/pdf...on.pdf#page=73

I think the DTO's favoured option, however, was a park-and-ride near Intel in Leixlip, with traffic coming off the M4 at the Celbridge interchange. Since then, Kildare County Council chose the Leixlip site as the location for a new town centre to serve the Leixlip-Celbridge-Maynooth triangle (over the advice of their consultants, who favoured expanding Maynooth town centre). This would seem to rule that location out, assuming the town centre proposal is still alive.
Prof_Vanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-11-2007, 20:26   #35
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

The trick would be how to do this while preserving decent planning. We don't want Kilcock to be Maynooth in a few years and having to push out to Enfield necessarily because the local council allows developers go mad in exchange for development charges. That said, it might be a handy spot to put a DART maintenance/storage yard for the Maynooth line so that trains can be started from there.

The other issue is catchment - it would be important to survey the users of the existing facilities to find out how many Maynooth parkers have come in from places like Edenderry or Kinnegad. If that number is significant then Enfield is the better terminus, no toll for NTR from Edenderry people either.

IE already start some trains from Enfield as it is. It would mean extra cost but that would really be about electrification since one would like to see that stretch double tracked either way, since it gives scope for more Sligo/Longford/Mullingar services, not to mention Moate/Athlone

Here in greater Toronto, feeder buses would be using the M4 to pass people to Maynooth and once demand required extend the terminus out. For example, feeder coaches would be starting from Edenderry and Kinnegad (with P&R car parks) and calling at Enfield/Johnstown and Kilcock and transferring passengers at the station in Maynooth, all on one ticket. Some buses could terminate at Enfield and turn back if they were connecting to a suburban ex Enfield, e.g. 0643, 0716, 0800.

That's how you manage commuters where trains are soon to be loco+12 bilevels: lots of feed. Very complicated stuff for Irish transport planners of course

In the meantime, if the Maynooth car park is oversubscribed maybe it should be restricted to carpoolers, to maximise the passengers for the available spaces.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2007, 09:30   #36
whelanp
New to the board

Default Double Standards

I have this year received in the 3 parking tickets in a row for parking on Leinster Street.

I used to park just outside the car park near the roost on the mucky verge. As a result I was issued 3 tickets for endangering other road users!!.

This is an absolute disgrace. I parked there 3 days in a row on my way to work about three months ago.

For doing so I got three tickets, Two arrived in the post on the same day one the day after (4 days after I had parked there).

Had I been given a chance for the fine to get to me in the post I would of not parked there again!

I spent €120 in one weekend paying parking tickets. I have since advised everyone I see parking there they will be fined. Every day since (and this is more than three months ago) a car has parked in that space. I would like to get stats on the number of parking fines they have issued for this stop alone. I have seen them issuing them without even getting out of the car on occasion. Maybe they could buy a no parking sign with all the money they are making.

I have seen cars parked on the foot path outside the garda station on the footpath facing the castle I wonder if the owner of that car is getting fined. I have a feeling that the answer is no.

Last edited by whelanp : 23-11-2007 at 17:10.
whelanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-11-2007, 17:47   #37
constellation
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelanp View Post
I used to park just outside the car park near the roost on the mucky verge. As a result I was issued 3 tickets for endangering other road users!!.
The lane to the canal? On part of that lane (particularly near the corner leading to the Fire Station) there is a double yellow line. Covered in muck and leaves but it is there.

Anyhow, it's a convenient way for the Guards meet their quota as it is just outside their door. And the owner of that car is probably a Guard.
constellation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-11-2007, 12:54   #38
whelanp
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by constellation View Post
The lane to the canal? On part of that lane (particularly near the corner leading to the Fire Station) there is a double yellow line. Covered in muck and leaves but it is there.

Anyhow, it's a convenient way for the Guards meet their quota as it is just outside their door. And the owner of that car is probably a Guard.
No this is beside the entrance to the pay car park. I parked on the verge to the left as you come out of the car park. Have a look today another car is parked there again.

They really should be made to put a sign up. I'd a put one up for free but they would probably slap a destruction of property charge on me!!! Anyway I won't rant on about the gardai as well they are making money off us so why would they change it. And yes a garda owns the car that parked on the footpath I saw him going into the station.
whelanp is offline   Reply With Quote