Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Gorey-Arklow-Wicklow Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-10-2008, 09:52   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
I don't mind commuter trains dublin gorey so much. At least we'll have proper intercity trains for the full distance very soon.

Will you be on the radio anytime soon voicing your displeasure with IE?
Every chance possible.

Wicklow annual tickets going up 15% in the last 11 months, not on really
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:01   #22
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestGoodheart View Post
I got where I was going? Is that not what I am paying all this money for? It's the level of service at the moment that is as ridiculous as that comment.

They have reduced the amount of carraiges on this train from 6 to 4. So before you have little cheap jibes about my knowledge, maybe you should go figure out how they cannot manage to keep up the level of 'service' that they used to provide.

Guessing you work for IE Laois Commuter, you are starting to sound like Mr Fearn, CEO of IE, trying to defend himself in the Metro.
Yes, you are paying to get there. You are not necessarily paying for a seat!

There are a number of reasons why a shortage of carriages can occur; unplanned maintenance (eg accident damage, vandalism), breakdown, industrial relations issues. These issues can arise at any time, and can have significant effects. Unlike cars, trains generally have very definite service intervals, beyond which they cannot operate without the necessary checks. These also occur far more frequently than those for cars. Therefore, if two units are out due to vandalism, and a third becomes due for a service (or "exam"), there are no spares. Which would you prefer - train runs but with fewer coaches, or train doesn't run and you make your own way?

This is neither a defence or an attack on IE - it is an explanation as to why problems can occur.

You guessed wrong. I do not work for IE, or any other transport company these days, and never have worked in the public transport industry in Ireland. I do however have 35+ years of such experience in the UK, public and private sector, rail and road, operational and customer facing. It was not a cheap jibe - like many, you made a comment on competence of others which you have failed to back up with any indication of your experience, on the basis that you could apparently do better, with no knowledge of the constraints which operators - not just IE - have to work under.

Now, what was your operational experience again?

LC

Last edited by Laois Commuter : 02-10-2008 at 11:04.
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:17   #23
ErnestGoodheart
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois Commuter View Post
Yes, you are paying to get there. You are not necessarily paying for a seat!

You guessed wrong. I do not work for IE, or any other transport company these days, and never have worked in the public transport industry in Ireland. I do however have 35+ years of such experience in the UK, public and private sector, rail and road, operational and customer facing. It was not a cheap jibe - like many, you made a comment on competence of others which you have failed to back up with any indication of your experience, on the basis that you could apparently do better, with no knowledge of the constraints which operators - not just IE - have to work under.

Now, what was your operational experience again?

LC
First off, you stated 'you got where you were going'. As if it was a privelge and I should be in debt to Irish Rail for getting the train from A-B. As Mark says, a travel time of 07:25 - 08:50, 1hr 25Min (Connolly - Wicklow), it is not being unreasonable to expect a seat when it is costing €1,500 a year!

Secondly, my operational experience is irrelevant in this. It is Irish rail's. Fair play to you, you have 35+ experience (Blue Peter badge in the Post). Granted I may not be the same vintage as you, but I have enough experience to know that this is down to poor management of the trains and carraiges.

I don't know what it was like over in the UK, but this is Ireland. And at the end of the day, it is not about thinking I can to better, it is about expecting they do better for the money I am paying.

To much to ask?

Last edited by ErnestGoodheart : 02-10-2008 at 12:13.
ErnestGoodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 21:14   #24
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

There was a letter in the Metro this morning complaining about the lack of capacity on the early morning southeastern services.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:36   #25
ErnestGoodheart
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralph View Post
There was a letter in the Metro this morning complaining about the lack of capacity on the early morning southeastern services.
Saw that. I would be very surprised if there is a response. I would be equally surprised if Mr Fearns decides to use the Metro for future Media Communications as he has this week.
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:57   #26
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The Barry is away, so they are in a tight spot for the next week or so
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:01   #27
ErnestGoodheart
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The Barry is away, so they are in a tight spot for the next week or so
The Barry? For fear of making myself appear a little slow, what do you mean?
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:03   #28
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Head of corporate communications is on holidays it appears
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:05   #29
ErnestGoodheart
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Head of corporate communications is on holidays it appears
That noise is the sound of a penny dropping right beside me. Cheers.
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:06   #30
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralph View Post
IM NO EXPERT, MAYBE THE TRAINS TRAVEL TO SLOW WICKLOW-BRAY-CONNOLLY. IT SHOULD ROUGHLY TAKE 52-55MINS TO EXACTLY AN HOUR CONNOLLY TO WICKLOW
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:08   #31
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

stop shouting .... shhhhhhhh.....
Unread 04-10-2008, 01:30   #32
losexpectation
Regular Poster

'Laois Commuter' lowering standards for 35 years
losexpectation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:15   #33
Sealink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois Commuter View Post
That is a stupid and unrealistic aspiration. No commuter service in the world provides, or even attempts to provide 100% seating at all times - it is simply not viable or realistic to do so without huge subvention or much, much higher fares to pay for additional stock which makes just two runs per day (plus of course the empty runs to get to and from depot, with which you also disagree).

LC
I disagree - aiming to have a seat for everyone ups the ante, and is a great thing to work towards. Of course it's not possible to provide that, but I'd rather IE aimed higher than low...
Sealink is offline   Reply With Quote