Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-11-2012, 09:50   #21
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Bit silly if they did move the shuttle to Thurles. Potential to run a few services from Thurles to other stations though. If the rumors are true and the mk4s will be only serving Dublin-Thurles-Mallow-Cork with less stops at the Junction then what how will people in Cork get to Limerick? Cross the bridge in Thurles then wait for a 22k? Unless more Clonmel-Limerick services will be introduced I don't see this plan succeeding.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2012, 10:25   #22
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

At the moment nearly every train serves Limerick Junction, that is likely to reduce to every second train.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2012, 14:38   #23
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
If the rumors are true and the mk4s will be only serving Dublin-Thurles-Mallow-Cork with less stops at the Junction then what how will people in Cork get to Limerick? Cross the bridge in Thurles then wait for a 22k? Unless more Clonmel-Limerick services will be introduced I don't see this plan succeeding.
To be honest I doubt Cork-Limerick-Cork IE share is that hectic with Cork, Mallow and Charleville all served by direct and very frequent bus service. IE could gain an advantage with an early arrival in Cork as part of a new early ex Heuston but BE would have the option to respond.

Thurles could benefit from more direct trains since the road options between there and Limerick are not good (last time I looked BE doesn't serve the town centre in any direction), which is likely why IE thought the Thurles commuter service would be popular.

A diminution of LJ would suck for Tipperary town, Mitchelstown, Oola, Knocklong but if they don't demand results from south Tipp TDs that's likely how it's going to be.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2012, 15:15   #24
jacko
Regular Poster

the problem with Cork - Limerick via the Junction is the price

It can be very efficent - 1hr 30/35 but the price is not competitive with BE
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2012, 16:50   #25
Jamie2k9

Cork trains serve Thurles, Mallow and Cork + some Limerick J.
2 hourly Limerick services serving stations Cork does not so I think an extra 3 services daily.

During the week Cork trains are just like ghost trains as may services across the network but now Limerick services will take from Thurles and of course the connections to Limerick will now largely be direct so Cork trains will lose a lot of passengers. Are IE expecting the increased speeds to pick up all the traffic lost from the above changes at Cork and Mallow. I just can't see how this will be maintained and this is from a company who is broke and trying to cut costs just how much will they increase now with extra Limerick services but a reduction in Limerick shuttle should help. I take it there will be no cuts to Cork services because at the minute I think the 08.00 and 10.00 should be dropped, however I was told that they are not allowed to cut Cork services as the EU payed part for it having an hourly service. Is that correct?

If Waterford-Limerick J services stay connecting at Junction I hop they will be times to meet Cork trains that serve there otherwise then I would suggest running through to Limerick and not serve the junction. If the route could be done direct to Limerick in 2h30 then it could compete with the bus.

These rumours/plans just don't add up and I can see them being dropped after a few months as increased speeds are not going to have a major affect on numbers.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2012, 17:45   #26
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

The general timetable proposals for Heuston as I understand them is to reduce both journey times and frequency. While Cork trains will be a little faster (approaching the journey times last achieved 20-25 years ago), the number of services is likely to be reduced and there may also be a greater number of services operated by ICRs.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2012, 18:31   #27
dowlingm

Inniskeen - if ICRs will take more of the load what will the displaced Mark 4s be doing?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-11-2012, 22:06   #28
Jamie2k9

Quote:
greater number of services operated by ICRs.
Thats already happening a Mark 4 set operating to Cork has being replaced by ICR for the last number of weeks.

09.30 to Heuston
13.00 to Cork
16.30 to Heuston
21.00 to Cork (only guessing this services as the 16.30 arrival from Cork tends to operate back to Cork at 21.00)
Unread 18-11-2012, 00:31   #29
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

A big problem with the MK4's at the moment is Templemore. The 14:52 service stops at Thurles and for the past few months has very slowly departed Thurles. It finally picks up a bit of speed near Loughmore then has to slow down again snails it into Templemore station nobody gets off the train and some days at most only two people will get on for Portlaoise.

The 12:52 Thurles-Heuston 22k service should stop at Templemore instead of the 14:52. A midday service to Templemore would be more attractive to commuters. The 14:52 departs Thurles at almost the same time a bus to Templemore loads up in the square. €2.50 fare vs €5.30 on the train and minus the long walk from the station to the town centre.

http://www.shamrockbuses.com/Urlingford_Roscrea.htm
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-11-2012, 18:16   #30
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
Inniskeen - if ICRs will take more of the load what will the displaced Mark 4s be doing?
Put some mk4s to Tralee? (the through services obviously)
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 17:24   #31
haddockman
Regular Poster

Are the mark 4's cleared to Tralee?
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 12:21   #32
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No and they can't be either

Limerick and Connolly are the only two off route destinations permitted.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 14:23   #33
Jamie2k9

Quote:
No and they can't be either
Is there any reasons why other routes can't be cleared. Would they not be more less the same as Mark3's.