Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-06-2011, 22:52   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default Tall Ships Waterford June/July

In a surprise move Irish Rail will be running extra trains in conjunction with this event

No details yet but Clonmel is likely to see a very good service to Waterford over the 4 days of the event, even more surprising late evening trains!

Sadly no train service Waterford-Rosslare though

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 07-06-2011 at 22:55.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:14   #2
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

There was really massive overcrowding on these services on the last occasion this event were in Waterford. Is it proposed to operate any services from Limerick ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:27   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Information I have is limited but a shuttle service from Clonmel to Waterford is planned.

Some limited extra trains Waterford Kilkenny as well, but there is massive unused capacity on the Kilkenny Waterford leg of Dublin services.

Talk of evening services as well and given Waterford has several 6 coach ICR's overnight there is capacity there to move a large number

Waterford Rosslare or even Campile is out not due infrastructure but a lack of trains. Clonmel is the largest inland town in Ireland so it does deserve priority

Its only 21 days away and Irish Rail have made no statement or uploaded it into the timetable
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 16:20   #4
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Looking at the traffic arrangements for the Tall Ships festival, there are huge restrictions on road access. Rail access therefore will have an equally huge advantage, and let's see if IE management are up to the task of exploiting it. If the don't come up with something big, then all my suspicions about their utter incompetence will be justified.

They might even offer a series of short out-and-back riverside cruises by train down to Bellview to coincide with the arrival and departude of the ships.

Alas, I'm not optimistic, but I hope I'm wrong.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 18:26   #5
Traincustomer

Even with train shortages it wouldn't be impossible to operate some sort of basic service east of Waterford but I've very little confidence in this happening. Sadly the powers that be largely appear to be entrenched in the sort of railway "can't do" culture where every reason not to do so will likely be found/extrapolated to ensure it doesn't happen.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 18:31   #6
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Even with train shortages it wouldn't be impossible to operate some sort of basic service
Did 19 3car sets arrive in a few weeks ago. I know IE do something like 9000km testing before they accept them into passenger service but surely they could of a few ready by the end of June.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 08-06-2011 at 18:34.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote