Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Galway
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-11-2006, 19:13   #1
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default kildare/galway/kildare

Going to Galway next week. Boarding at Kildare.
Direct trains which suit are departing Kildare at 0942 and 1151.
However there are no return trains stopping at Kildare. It's a case of changing at Heuston or Athlone/Portarlington. A journey which should take
2hrs 20 will now take 3hrs 40 apx! Crazy scheduling.

Have decided to drive to Tullamore!!!

Incidentally I live in Kilcock and driving into Heuston is out of the question for obvious reasons.
seamus kilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-11-2006, 20:15   #2
Derek Wheeler

Madness alright. I was a victim of it for many years as I sat in the smelly waiting room in Kildare (when it did stop there) waiting on a connection to Sallins/Naas.

The problem, I see with this issue, is that it would be difficult to drum up significant support to force IE to change it as they know usership of this journey is low enough for them not to care.

Its probably symptomatic of the lack of regional rail services to provide enhanced connections. That requires money, but it also requires vision from IE and that is sadly lacking. They appear content with the cosy set up they are planning. Last March in Kildare this issue of access to inter city services and connections was highlighted. But it was dismissed amid hyperbole.

If you drive to Tullamore, you might as well drive to Galway and while you're clogging up the roads, blame IE.

Sorry I can't offer more hope.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-11-2006, 08:15   #3
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default kildare connections

I use Kildare as my starting point going to Cork and Kerry too.
With the new 2007 timetable will Kildare be dropped from all Cork/Kerry services?
Unread 29-11-2006, 08:48   #4
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
The problem, I see with this issue, is that it would be difficult to drum up significant support to force IE to change it as they know usership of this journey is low enough for them not to care.
But it doesn't have to be provided as a direct service. I had to travel Cork-Monasterevin a few times last year and I would have been content to connect on to a commuter service that left in the 15-20 minutes after the Cork-Dublin train had stopped at Port Laoise. In fact all stations on the run in to Dublin could have been served this way. Instead, I used the bus.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-11-2006, 11:55   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

From 2007 all Limerick services will call at Kildare thus Kildare Galway goes like this

Board Limerick train Kildare
Disembark at Portarlington
Board Galway train

Same goes for Cork change Thurles, that should be about 2:40 and possible 5 to 6 times a day

No need to go via Dublin
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-11-2006, 13:16   #6
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Travel by Bus Eireann, There is a good service via Maynooth each day. You can check the times, but every 2nd bus that leaves Bus Aras goes to Galway via Maynooth, also every 2nd bus leaving Galway for Dublin goes via Maynooth. Time approx 3 30 hours. Kilcock is only a stones throw from Maynooth, except you specifically want to go by train.

Last edited by grainne whale : 29-11-2006 at 13:18. Reason: better phrasing
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-11-2006, 18:58   #7
TomB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
From 2007 all Limerick services will call at Kildare
Which is a pain in the arse.

From 2007 Limerick-Dublin will be the second route, after Waterford, where you'll beat the train with the car most of the time. In fact it's basically happened already.

The rest of the routes will follow in due course.

This 'timetabling innovation' is held up as an example of how Irish Rail have gone all clever on us, but it's not.

They should have put on extra outer commuter services to Portlaoise and had passengers change there. That way both commuters on that Cork line would have won with extra services, and the Limerick train wasn't turned into an "are you right there michael are you right" -type farce.

(disclaimer: I'm from Limerick, and I hate the way the service is arse and about to get worse. I take the car these days...)
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-11-2006, 20:24   #8
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
But it doesn't have to be provided as a direct service. I had to travel Cork-Monasterevin a few times last year and I would have been content to connect on to a commuter service that left in the 15-20 minutes after the Cork-Dublin train had stopped at Port Laoise. In fact all stations on the run in to Dublin could have been served this way. Instead, I used the bus.
Thats what I was reffering to. Better connections.
Unread 29-11-2006, 20:27   #9
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bibby View Post
Which is a pain in the arse.

From 2007 Limerick-Dublin will be the second route, after Waterford, where you'll beat the train with the car most of the time. In fact it's basically happened already.

The rest of the routes will follow in due course.

This 'timetabling innovation' is held up as an example of how Irish Rail have gone all clever on us, but it's not.

They should have put on extra outer commuter services to Portlaoise and had passengers change there. That way both commuters on that Cork line would have won with extra services, and the Limerick train wasn't turned into an "are you right there michael are you right" -type farce.

(disclaimer: I'm from Limerick, and I hate the way the service is arse and about to get worse. I take the car these days...)
Spot on Thomas. Regional rail could feed into inter city. Oh if only....
Unread 02-12-2006, 10:25   #10
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

Default kildare/cork/kildare

Going to Cork from Kildare now I get the 0928 ex Kildare, arriving Cork 1155. Journey time 2h 27min.
The 2007 timetable will have me getting the train (To Limerick) from Kildare at 1002, changing at Thurles and arriving Cork 1250.
Journey time 2h 48min.
Return journey depart Cork 1630. Arrive Templemore 1752. Get Limerick train departing T'more 1830 and arriving Kildare 1920.
Journey time 2h 50 min.
Now I get the 1530 ex Cork arriving Kildare 1735.
Journey time 2h 5min.
Such is progress - I don't think!!!
Unread 04-12-2006, 15:30   #11
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus kilcock View Post
Arrive Templemore 1752. Get Limerick train departing T'more 1830

I have to admit that I feel for you there. Your only hope is that the Cork train is a bit late.

On the plus side, the waiting room is like a furnace.