Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Galway
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-06-2011, 12:17   #1
ullathorne
New to the board

Red face I want a loco. Not a 22000

Hi Guys, im new on this forum. Im an Admin on a very successful guitar forum. So i thought it only polite to introduce myself first.

My name is Andy and my Great Grandfather and Great Uncle both worked in Galway for CIE for many many years. I live in England but visit my parents in Galway as often as i can 5-6 times a year.

I usually Fly to Shannon or Sail.

Anyway, im over in Ireland on August 2nd Ryanair into Dublin. Then travelling by Rail from Hueston to Galway. Are there any booked Loco diagrams for this route anymore? I dont want to travel by a 22000 unit. Ill go by coach instead. Im a loco traveler or not at all.

Many thanks for your help.

Andy
ullathorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 19:56   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

No, locomotives are limited to the Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast routes these days. The rest is all DMUs.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 20:32   #3
ullathorne
New to the board

Default Re:

Thanks Thomas for your reply. Not the one I really wanted to read but thanks none the less
I suppose its the changing face of railways. Have you any experience of the 220's ?

Thinking about it I'm sure it still beats going coast to coast by coach.

Andy
Unread 08-06-2011, 21:15   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

They're fairly OK. The do have an intercity layout, not suburban, there isn't much noise and it you really want, find a service that leaves Dublin and change service between Dublin Heuston and Portarlington. I'm not sure if there are many, but its an option.
Unread 08-06-2011, 21:24   #5
ullathorne
New to the board

Default Re

Colm, do you mean bail out at Portarlington and pick up another service which is loco hauled to Galway? What services should I be looking at? Would that be a Galway - Cork service for example? I'm new to the Irish diagrams. Please forgive me

Andy
Unread 08-06-2011, 21:37   #6
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Just one thing. This site is for improving the general experience of the passenger, not for trainspotting hints.

-----------------------------------------------------

Sorry, the vast majority of services are Dublin Based. What I'm saying is that you could complete part of the journey by loco-hauled train and then finish it with a 22000.

Mon-Sat 1300 Heuston-Cork is loco-hauled, get off at Portarlington. The 1430 Heuston-Galway stops at 1513 stops at Portarlington. Spend the intervening time, err, as you wish.

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey...osite%2011.pdf
Unread 08-06-2011, 22:02   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Its very Mk3 like inside, but bigger tables and seats which line up with windows

Passenger feedback has been very positive, only complaints really is the heating is set too low and the lighting can be a little harsh in night conditions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0863.jpg
Views:	4062
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1372  Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1278.jpg
Views:	3619
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1373  
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 22:19   #8
ullathorne
New to the board

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Just one thing. This site is for improving the general experience of the passenger, not for trainspotting hints.

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey...osite%2011.pdf
Your comments are noted

To Set the record straight I'm not a spotter, but a lifelong rail (loco) haulage enthusiast.
Apologies for That. But also a big Thank you for taking the time out to assist.
Unread 08-06-2011, 22:21   #9
ullathorne
New to the board

Default Re

Thanks Mark. They seem very similar to the pendolinos etc interior wise. I'm sure they are a very smooth ride. I think I'll give them ago. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I don't think you will be disappointed.

Its very Mk3 like inside, but bigger tables and seats which line up with windows

Passenger feedback has been very positive, only complaints really is the heating is set too low and the lighting can be a little harsh in night conditions
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:00   #10
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

you have no option really - only cork and belfast get the last of the locos, and even cork services have 22k's on them but when you go past Inchicore you can snap lots of spares.

thats about it, loco-wise.
Unread 26-09-2011, 14:47   #11
peterh
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullathorne View Post
Hi Guys, im new on this forum. Im an Admin on a very successful guitar forum. So i thought it only polite to introduce myself first.

My name is Andy and my Great Grandfather and Great Uncle both worked in Galway for CIE for many many years. I live in England but visit my parents in Galway as often as i can 5-6 times a year.

I usually Fly to Shannon or Sail.

Anyway, im over in Ireland on August 2nd Ryanair into Dublin. Then travelling by Rail from Hueston to Galway. Are there any booked Loco diagrams for this route anymore? I dont want to travel by a 22000 unit. Ill go by coach instead. Im a loco traveler or not at all.

Many thanks for your help.

Andy
Well the bus seems like your only option now as the Dublin-Galway services are all operated by 22ks. Still there is nothing wrong with them. Does it really matter?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 14:11   #12
ullathorne
New to the board

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
Well the bus seems like your only option now as the Dublin-Galway services are all operated by 22ks. Still there is nothing wrong with them. Does it really matter?
Well I bit the bullet and went by the 22k units. Does it matter?? I suppose not. Unless of course you enjoy rail travel.......

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=13771

Andy