Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Galway
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-10-2011, 10:20   #1
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Default [17/10/2011] 10.07 Athlone-Dublin Heuston ex Galway

Arrived this morning at Athlone train station for the 10.07 to Dublin. As I approched the platform the station staff asked to check my ticket at this time I heard the first beep for the doors to close. He asked me where was I going I said down to Gorey, I needed this Train to connect with the Half One from Connolly on the Rosslare line. Doors closed on the train, It was 2X 22k sets I could see in the second set drivers cab an Irish Rail staff member which he had the cab door open.Both him and the station staff did nothing to get me onboard,Then the train slowly crawls out of the station. The excuse I got was the train was on a
tied schedule. The driver could of easily opened those doors he had'nt even moved.The station staff knew I had an connecting train to Gorey.This is really unacceptable and an outrage.
Then I was told to wait for the 12.02 the next train to Dublin,How these people even get jobs is behond me.
What I cant seem to understand is One-Both the station staff and the onboard staff seen me just when the doors were closing over

Two- I easily could of got onboard the train by the second 22k set drivers cab and out the door to the seats in the coach

Three- He knew I had a second connection at Connolly

Such Ingorance !!!!
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2011, 11:41   #2
seamus kilcock
Regular Poster

That was a bit tough alright.
However, unless the train departed before its published time you have no case.
If the train departed before its published time then you do have a very good case.
Which was it KSW?
seamus kilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2011, 12:06   #3
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Train left at excatly 10.07
I boared the 12.02 to Dublin but at Tullamore we waited for a disabled person with a wheel chair to board that delayed the train by 3-4mins, Not been impolite because he looked very nice but if I was disabled,the case would probably be different! Be glad to board the Rosslare service where staff dont smoke on the platform and throw the cigratte just as they wave the train off !!!
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-10-2011, 13:13   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I'd be almost 100% certain the train was on time and left no earlier than the published time. The signaling record I have would tend to confirm this.

Once the doors are closed they are closed. In the Athlone case on the main platform the driver is on the wrong side Dublin bound so once the signal is given he swaps back to the driving side and takes off

You are advised to be at the platform 2 minutes before departure at the very least.

I have had long discussions with managers about the need to depart exactly on time and not to hang around, seconds count.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-10-2011, 13:29   #5
Pilotman
New to the board

Can I see the signalling records on this site ?
Pilotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-10-2011, 13:36   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Nope.
Unread 18-10-2011, 17:21   #7
Pilotman
New to the board

Thanks.

Where can I access it?
Pilotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-10-2011, 21:42   #8
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I'd be almost 100% certain the train was on time and left no earlier than the published time. The signaling record I have would tend to confirm this.

Once the doors are closed they are closed. In the Athlone case on the main platform the driver is on the wrong side Dublin bound so once the signal is given he swaps back to the driving side and takes off

You are advised to be at the platform 2 minutes before departure at the very least.

I have had long discussions with managers about the need to depart exactly on time and not to hang around, seconds count.
I wouldn't overly rely on the signalling system for an accurate time of departure as the signalling system will at best record the time at which the train occupied the first track circuits east of Athlone. I know of at least one smart ass manager who berated a particular station master for not despatching services in a timely manner only to be subsequently embarassed by his failure to understand what the time stamps meant - they were at least 90 secs after actual departure.

No train should leave a station ahead of the publically advertised time which should be the latest time at which a passenger can board. If passengers are expected to be on the platform two minutes before departure, the public timetable should show a departure two minutes ahead of the working timetable, a practice which ensures punctuality while minimising the potential for disputes.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-10-2011, 08:51   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The timetable does state 2 minutes before departure

"Station Platform gates close 2 mins prior to departure."

We are intimately familiar with how Irish Rail's signaling system works and in Athlone's case the time lag is about 30 seconds, whereas its not worth the hassle at somewhere like Templemore to figure it out

The train left on time, that is not in dispute.
Unread 19-10-2011, 21:51   #10
2200DMU
Regular Poster

Can signalling records in general be seen by the public of is it only for this site. If they can be seen where could I find them would be intrested to see them.
2200DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-10-2011, 12:50   #11
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The timetable does state 2 minutes before departure

"Station Platform gates close 2 mins prior to departure."

We are intimately familiar with how Irish Rail's signaling system works and in Athlone's case the time lag is about 30 seconds, whereas its not worth the hassle at somewhere like Templemore to figure it out

The train left on time, that is not in dispute.
"No train will leave a station earlier than advertised in the timetable" is a Passenger Charter committment that I would suggest is somewhat in confict with the closure of the station platform gates two minutes prior to departure.

Technically, of course, both statements can be satisfied, although on other much busier railway systems it is normal practice not to close the train doors until within 30 seconds of scheduled departure. In some countries the doors close at the advertised departure time.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote