Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-09-2012, 13:20   #21
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
I know all to well.The last Rosslare service from Dublin at 18.36 A DART train going to Greystones or Bray comes in and instead of allowing the Rosslare train go ahead it does only serve Tara St and Pearse and onto DunLaoghaire. We have to crawl all the way behind the DART. "lack of interest on IE's part on trying anything clever or overrriding defaults."
The half hourly DART service to Greystones means that there is only a ten minute window on the single track between Bray and Greystones every 30 minutes. This window can accommodate either a southbound or northbound Rosslare service. The ten minute window occurs immediately after the arrival of each southbound DART train at Greystones - hence the scheduling of Rosslare services behind Greystones DART services.

The only way around this mess is to either reduce DART frequency between Bray and Greystones or introduce overtaking facilities at Dun Laoghaire and/or Bray
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-09-2012, 22:03   #22
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
The half hourly DART service to Greystones means that there is only a ten minute window on the single track between Bray and Greystones every 30 minutes. This window can accommodate either a southbound or northbound Rosslare service. The ten minute window occurs immediately after the arrival of each southbound DART train at Greystones - hence the scheduling of Rosslare services behind Greystones DART services.

The only way around this mess is to either reduce DART frequency between Bray and Greystones or introduce overtaking facilities at Dun Laoghaire and/or Bray
Rosslare services add up to 10 total both ways Five southbound and Five northbound to Dublin. Dart services to/from Greystones add up to 35 total. For the passengers who are as frustrated as I about this 2013 draft, We have Three train services from 08.24am to 19.01pm from Gorey to Dublin its outrageous. Its a Five hour gap each service to Dublin. Its probably the most weakest line in this country but thats IE's fault not its customers. Still in 2013 proposed timetable draft the services remain unchanged. Do IE even have interest on their own line on this section of track because it seems to be a not bothered line.

The lunch time service from Connolly to Rosslare seems to be a commuter 29k operated train on every weekend. People were told about the new 22k trains but actually getting to travel on them is another thing on the Rosslare line. If I could meet with these people one to one and just get their insights on the operational side of things. IE is junior infants toward other countries who are literally college degree for running and timing of trains and know the meaning of correct train timings.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-09-2012, 23:53   #23
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlr42 View Post
I'm fairly sure the priority is coded into the signalling system and unless the signalman intervenes DARTs will automatically go first(or stick to the order in the timetable regardless of delays) everywhere. For example, a common occurrence at Pearse is for a Maynooth train to be sitting in the siding, ready to depart northbound, but a 5-10 delayed northbound DART is allowed to go ahead of it, delaying the Maynooth train for its entire journey. In the time taken to wait for that delayed DART to arrive and sit at the platform for way too long, the Maynooth train would have made it all the way up through Connolly and off shared track.

There's just a lack of interest on IE's part on trying anything clever or overrriding defaults.
The problem is there could be people connecting to that maynooth line train. Connections are going to be more crucial now there are cutbacks planned for the coming timetable.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-09-2012, 05:54   #24
luasifer
Regular Poster

It is very misleading to say Maynooth services will remain unchanged when in fact the off peak frequency for most stations on the Maynooth line are being halved.

The move to reduce the off peak service, from half hourly to hourly, in both directions for Drumcondra, Broombridge, Ashtown, Navan Road Parkway, Castleknock, Coolmine and Clonsilla Stations is unacceptable and goes against where we should be going in developing a proper transport service for Dublin. Irish Rail should be looking to increase the off peak frequency on the line to eventually achieve a DART level of service instead of providing an effectively useless service to people in these areas.

The Navan Road Parkway is an example of an underutilized asset which could be promoted and benefit from a reliable frequent service. One only has to look at the successful Red Cow Park and Ride to see how the provision of a reliable, frequent service will attract people to use it. If the potential wait for a train is 1 hour this is much less attractive to people who might park and ride.

What had once looked like developing towards a proper commuter/rapid transit railway has now been pushed back to nothing more than a skeleton service. However this is not surprising given the history of Irish Rail running our railways
luasifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-09-2012, 10:30   #25
AdiB
New to the board

Can't believe how few trains are now going to Sligo. They should be upping the number of trains during hours that would suit people who work and study in sligo. I finally just got a taxsaver ticket to commute from carrick on shannon to sligo. I had to change my hours to fit the trains to 10.30 to 6.30. With the new timetable there will only be 6hrs 50mins between the first train arriving and the last train leaving, no way of fitting a working day in there. It's rediculous. If they want to increase revenue they should be looking at a commuter service for sligo. By not driving I save about €40 a week. I know plenty of people who would use a commuter service, especially if they marketed on the savings you could make. Given sligo has a hospital, two colleges and numerous large businesses and schools it's a neglected oportunity for making revenue, the only people who will be able to use the new trains are people with free tickets who fancy popping into sligo for lunch or shopping.
AdiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-09-2012, 12:41   #26
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

They can't even organise the trains such that they can match hospital shift hours going into Dublin so that nurses further out than Maynooth can use the train to commute to the big Dublin hospitals so it might be a while before they manage to organise trains that match the shifts in Sligo.

What any business should be doing if faced with a lack of trade is to find out the reasons they are giving people not to use the service. To do this, they should be visiting large employers near stations (if sufficiently large - near the line with a view to adding a station) and finding out what they can do to increase commuting business. Things like shuttle buses, special deals on parking - even just visiting a company and doing a presentation with a few free tickets is how you build business.

The odd thing about this is that I perceive a distinct jump in the level of business on the trains I use on the Sligo line over the last few months. The 1805 to Longford is consistently jammed now with people standing all the way down the aisles and a need to arrive before 1750 to be guaranteed a seat. The same goes for the 0545 from Sligo. A year ago, I could be fairly sure of having a bay of four seats to myself as far as Enfield if not Kilcock but lately I rarely have the bay to myself after Mullingar. On Monday this week I had to share a bay of seats when I got on in Edgeworthstown.

As far as the 1805 is concerned, I know that the 1817 only has a handful of passengers going beyond Maynooth but if these get displaced onto the 1805, it is going to be well beyond capacity.

I don't know where this coming from and if it is just my own perception but it would seem to be to be a good idea to leave the resources on the Sligo line while it is doing well with the hope of growing overall business. They also desperately need to get online booking in place so that they do something about pushing some of the demand onto the less used services.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2012, 17:24   #27
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I just filled out their surveymonkey thing. One thing I noticed when going back over it is that the last up-train between Longford and Maynooth is now a whopping 90 minutes earlier.

This is an occasional bother to me as I sometimes take a train up in the evening if I have an early flight in the morning. It is a fairly dramatic reduction in the coverage.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 20:45   #28
ThomasJ

Is Tara street the only station that has not updated its timetable notices almost a month after the introduction of the new timetable?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 21:55   #29
karlr42

Pearse is the same with the posters showing big Dublin area diagrams and all the departures for the full day on them. if they can't replace them straight away they should at least cover the times or take them down.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:37   #30
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It was raised with Irish Rail 2 weeks ago
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote